“Waiter” 3 of 5 bubbles

Baltimore, MD
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Waiter”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2012

Ships Cafe which is located between Frederick Road and Winters Lane is a hot spot for those who love crabs. The Mandarin Grilled Chicken salad is excellent. I have been there on many occasions. Although service can be slow and the waiters are not the friendliest the food is good. While eating crabs not once did the waiter ask if we were OK, or needed anything additional? Several times we tried to get the waiter’s attention only to be ignored while she entertained another table that was across from us – I assume they were family. I got the attention of the boys who bust the table to bring me another glass of tea. Another couple came in placed an order, and was treated the same way. We waited patiently she never came back to the table, and the people who were waiting for their food were getting frustrated. The kicker came when she came to the table did not make eye contact and said “I’ll get the check” in a sarcastic way. Brought the check back stood sideways and slide the check to me. I looked my guest who was with me and we both looked utterly surprised. My guest went and got the manager. I told the manager how rude she was and not once was she attentive not to me but to other guest who were waiting patiently for their food. I mentioned to the manager that I come often and this was the worst service. Just because you serve someone and the tip is already included you cannot treat people anyway you want and expect to get a tip for poor service. To keep your customers going back and to bring others to your establishment you must be friendly. Word of mouth does travel. I will go back, but I will not have Rosemary the waiter. The Mystery Guest!

• Visited February 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Loray M

“Go for the crabs.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

Crabs are great. Dislike the 18% automatic tip. Regardless of quality of service or size of party.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ManOfLeisureII
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“Good food , great friendly service. Would definitely go again .”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2012

First trip to Ship's Cafe . Great local feel when you walk in the door - friendly people and the welcoming smell of steamed crabs ( in January ) . We did not have crabs , but they looked great and we will definitely return and give them a try .
Food was good - fresh red snapper ( grilled perfectly ) , king crab legs ( large portion ) , fried oysters ( great flavor and texture ). Bowl of cream of crab was huge and full of crab - above average . Dinner salads were fresh and very good .
Service was outstanding , from our warm and friendly waitress to the prompt and polite bus boy . You certainly get the feel that this is a family business and everyone takes pride in making the customer welcome.
Ships Cafe is directly across from Catonsville Gourmet ( one of my favorite restaurants in Baltimore ) but now I'm happy to have two great choices in Catonsville to grab dinner !

Austin, Texas
“Crabs when you need them”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

So, in Maryland, you want crabs. You want crabs cooked like they are cooked in Maryland. There is no substitute. You must use Old Bay seasoning. There are no exceptions. If you don't steamed crabs, then you must be craving a crab cake. Best crab season--late summer. My reality? I live in Texas and I visit at Christmas. Ships Cafe provides crabs--good crabs--when I need them. Once you have eaten Maryland crabs, you will need them, too. And when you are in Catonsville, I suggest you stop at Ships Cafe.

• Visited December 2010
Baltimore, MD
“Great food and great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

I had my bridesmaid luncheon at Ships Cafe. The food was really good and our server was very attentive.

• Visited October 2010