“Classic Setting Updated Cuisine”
Review of Candle Light Inn - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Candle Light Inn
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Beijing, Beijing, China
“Classic Setting Updated Cuisine”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Every town has one - that restaurant that time forgot. The sort of place where people with teased hair go to have a scotch on the rocks and a good steak. The setting is an old Victorian home, usually. Well, you can have that sort of fare at the Candle Light Inn but they have updated their menu. While they are still not exactly cutting edge you can get such dishes as monkfish with fingerling potatoes or blackened Mahi Mahi. My dining companion had the aforementioned monkfish and a lovely piece of tender white fish it was. We both started with silky scallops over fresh corn that had been pan fried with bacon. Yum. I selected the tenderloin over blue cheese mashed potatoes. The pan reduction tasted wine-y and there were caramelized whole mini onions on the side. I think blue cheese will be making a guest appearance the next time I mash a potato. The drink menu had some lovely martinis and a selection of manhattans. The only beer is in the bottle so we opted for a very reasonably priced cava instead. They were out of our first choice for dessert (peach crumble with vanilla ice cream) so we went for the vanilla bean cheesecake and a bourbon bread pudding. They did not disappoint. Ask to be seated on the patio when the weather is fine or go cozy with interior seating in this lovely old house. Service was very attentive but they should use a tray to carry drinks to the table. Warm rolls were adequate but could be kicked up a notch in quality and variety to accompany the chef's creations. We would go back.

• Visited August 2013

RALEIGH
“Great place for a party”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Private birthday party, 18 people, buffet meal. Private room just the right size, nicely decorated. Servers very attentive, helped with cake (brought in from a bakery) and candles. Food was excellent, especially crab dip and salmon. Would definitely have another party here.

1 Thank Mary S
Annapolis, Maryland
“Delightful Setting in Very Old Establishment of Colonial Era!”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Great Setting with Very Good Food! Really enjoyed the experience at this Restaurant!
Our meal was delicious and was a good value with our Groupon certificate

Baltimore, USA
“Classy local place”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Candle Light Inn has been in Catonsville longer than the 28 years I have been. It has seen a few different owners, and has had a large outdoor dining facility appended to its traditional facade. I would definitely say the current owners are the best of the group, and do a very nice job at cooking delicious food which presents well, at a fair price. While not the most creative menu or the most robust bar, the Inn appeals to those who are looking for a moderately priced traditional upscale dining experience. The food is delicious and carefully prepared and presented by an attentive staff which always has a local flavor. We look forward to our 6 or 7 trips per year to the candlelight, now more than ever. So convenient to the heart of Catonsville, but still just outside of town center so you feel like you are "away". Give it a try, you won't be dissapointed.

Kansas City, Missouri
“Food was excellent but groupon left bad taste”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Make sure you present your groupon in advance (like when the waiter greets you) so they can tell you of the hidden restriction on using the groupon.

My family of 5 went there friday night, ordered 3 entrees and 2 kids meals. Dinner was very very good and the server was excellent and attentive.

When it came time to pay the bill, I presented the groupon and the waiter said that the management says that if you don't purchase 4 entrees that the groupon won't work. I said that's not what the groupon says and he said Management is firm on this. So instead of a 50 dollar meal (it was 123.00 without tip) we spent 150.00 on dinner where we should have only paid 50.00

I told the waiter to tell the management that their restrictions were not on the website nor the coupon and told him I was very unhappy with this turn of events. Had I have presented the coupon first he would have told of the hidden restrictions but we didn't but I dont' think that I should have had to present it first as it specifically said 100 dollars worth of food for 50.00 and no restrctions as to entrees purchased.

The food was wonderful but the groupon restrictions made a excellent meal into a mediocre meal.

• Visited May 2013