“Disappointing”

Everlasting Life Restaurant & Lounge
Harrisburg, Pa
“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

My husband and I were in DC for VegFest. We live in PA, but we love DC and visit regularly. As vegans we love all the options DC offers us that Central PA doesn't. We've heard the Everlasting Life name quite a bit and have been looking forward to trying it. Perhaps some of the reviews we've heard might have been about the Everlasting Life Cafe which is different (I understand they used to have the same owner but no longer do and the Cafe is changing their name to Woodland's Vegan Bistro to avoid confusion).

We decided to try them out today for brunch. It was definitely out of our way. Unfortunately we were pretty disappointed in the experience. We arrived around 10:45. Since they are supposed to open at 10 you'd certainly think things would have been up and running by then but no, not so. We were actually directed to come back in 10 or 15 minutes.

It was pretty confusing, you're directed to go in the door that leads to an unwelcoming dining room but there are no staff there, no one to offer you a table or take your order so it's really not a "restaurant" in my opinion. Instead you end up going into the other area where there is a hot bar and a cash register. Had I gone in through the other door, that's where I would have been in the first place, so why they direct people in the other way I just don't know???

The menu was confusing. I wasn't quite sure what went with what, and quite frankly neither was the girl at the register. We decided on the Brunch Platter, and I got a side of banana pancakes. Back to the "dining room" to wait. And wait. And wait. About 30 minutes later our food finally arrived. Now a tofu scramble with vegan sausage is something I could whip up at home myself in 20 minutes. Why it would take longer in a restaurant that might be expecting customers is beyond me. The pancakes? Meh. They were just ok. The brunch platter was great. The tofu and the sausage were fantastic. Overall, I did enjoy the food.

Will I bother to go back again? Very, very unlikely. The service and the atmosphere were so bad that even the food really couldn't make up for it. They really need to step it up or this place isn't going to stay around. On a Sunday morning at 11 am there were 5 poeple in the dining room (that includes myself and my husband) so I suspect other people might have already given up on them. I'm really pretty bummed that this went so badly because I really wanted to like this place.

• Visited September 2013