“First impression, then the experience...”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Camp Springs (Andrews Air Force Base)
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Camp Springs
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I use tripadvisor to research hotels before I reserve them, and I have to admit, this is the FIRST time that the reservation turned out to be off base. I usually have no problem paying extra for a NICE hotel, but based on our budget, we had to step out of our box and find an inexpensive but nice hotel for a emergency out of town trip. First impressions: the hotel is nice and the pics are accurate in presentation. Our room was clean, staff was courteous, and hot cookies really did greet us as we checked in. Because we were in town for only one day, we dropped our bags off and left; returning to the room literally when it was time settle down and after a long drive and hectic evening that left us physically and emotionally exhausted.

The bed : When you first lay down it feels...a little firm. Like it has a soft pad over a hard mattress. Throughout the night, I found myself tossing and turning often, and waking up to just walk around before crawling back in the bed, exhausted still. If you are a person who loves a firm, and I mean a FIRM bed, you will love it. As for me I woke up still exhausted and with the small of my back achy. My husband also mentioned he didn't sleep well either. Our ride home was a 12 hour drive and I regretted that bed the entire way back. Coffee was my drug of choice to cope with the long drive back with poor sleep.

The breakfast: One of the factors in choosing this hotel was the breakfast reviews (along with other factors such as safety, proximity to our final location, positive reviews). Because our day was starting at 9am with our commitment, we counted on a decent breakfast to start our day off. What a huge disappointment. The breakfast was not good at all. The eggs tasted like artificial eggs and the sausage was cold. There were brown bananas in the fruit bowl and the bread was dry. The coffee tasted terrible, with coffee grains floating in it. But the oatmeal was okay and they had three types of cereal to pick from, of which none I preferred. And I had orange juice.

The culmination of the "experience" at this hotel was not the fault of staff at all. It was just the extreme nature of the family eating breakfast during our visit time. Some people just aren't considerate and some family just took over the breakfast nook in a very obtrusive manner: cutting lines to get more food, loud and leaving utensils in food trays and the covers off with no regard to keeping the food warm. I have never went downstairs to eat breakfast in my nightgown and slippers. We ended up at IHOP and was an hour late to our event. NOT the hotel fault but I have never EVER experienced that at a hotel in my life. At first, I felt sorry for the front desk clerk who juggled maintaining the front desk and the breakfast area and, for a second, reconsidered that the problems regarding the breakfast nook may have been related to the obnoxious people, until I remembered bananas don't brown in a few hours because it was just 730am and breakfast started at 630am. My point in including this fact: if you come across a large group of people, hoarding around the food area and who have pulled a bunch of tables together to sit together RIGHT THERE where the food is, in nightclothes and its very apparent that they have just woke up...RUN! Eat breakfast later, or elsewhere.

I don't want to even fool with Country Inn and Suites anymore and its a shame because I had people tell me it was a nice hotel before this experience. However, I will stick to my preferred brands, and it is true in this area as well: You DO get what you pay for. Especially in a metro area.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank enluv2
iranak, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Camp Springs (Andrews Air Force Base), responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

I'm sorry to hear that you had trouble sleeping and an unpleasant breakfast experience. It sounds like that was a very busy morning as well. I have talked to my staff about the breakfast and making sure we try to keep containers closed even when its busy so food stays warm.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I picked this hotel on the basis of offering a cheaper alternative to a single night in the inner city DC hotels, and particularly because it is located within walking distance of the Metro. The hotel is well appointed and the room was very clean with good quality furniture/linen etc.

The service was fantastic. I arrived significantly early that day, but they were happy to check me in several hours before the nominal check in time. When I returned to the lobby to leave, it was pouring rain. The staff immediately approached me and offered a lift to anywhere in the local area (in my case the Metro Station). I was also offered a pick-up from the Metro on return (they will offer this until 10pm).

Breakfast was nothing special, but a nice inclusion within the standard price.

Very happy with my stay and will use it again next time I am in DC.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for staying with us! I'm happy to hear you had a pleasant experience and we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times, beginning several years ago (we go to FedEx field for games). On this past visit, I noticed the wear on this hotel. The breakfast was best left alone. Poor tasting coffee, bacon swimming in grease (not kidding). I am a Club card holder and this CI&S is below the high standard(s) of this hotel chain. Staying 5 miles away at the next CI&S is not recommended due to it's location (unsafe) and poor customer ratings. Staff was friendly, and the room was clean, which of course are predominant issue(s). If you are looking for a good overnight stay, I can't say this hotel wouldn't fill the bill. If I had not been here so many times, I probably would have rated this hotel a bit higher. A few years ago I would have rated this hotel excellent, but unfortunately, not this visit.

Room Tip: Huge construction in the rear of this hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
iranak, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Camp Springs (Andrews Air Force Base), responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Im sorry to hear the hotel was not as enjoyable as your previous stays. I will let our staff know about the bacon and coffee to see how we can make those products better. We hope to exceed your expectations next time.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed at this hotel with a large family group and booked two Queen rooms. This was a 2-day weekend family trip to DC. Immediately upon entry in the lobby, the place appeared dark and dated. The rooms and the carpet were the same, dark, outdated decor. Their were some serious cleanliness concerns in the bathroom and showers in both rooms ie hair in showers, unsightly stains. The bed was surprising comfortable but I was nervous about using the top blanket due to cleaning concerns. The breakfast was not great at all - the sausage was raw, tables were not cleaned after people left, and the drink machine was caked with dried juice and it was apparent that it hadn't been cleaned in sometime. We barely ate and I checked out the same morning and went to another hotel. I'm sure that the condition of this hotel is not reflective of the Carlson hotel brand, The positives - less than 20 minutes from downtown DC, depending on your route and the majority of the hotel staff were incredibly friendly. I would not stay again at this particularly hotel without some serious updating.

Room Tip: Quiet location and convenient location from DC without all the traffic
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
iranak, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Camp Springs (Andrews Air Force Base), responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

I'm sorry to hear the décor wasn't too your liking. We are currently working with Carlson on a plan to update our furnishings and décor in the next year or so you may like the look better if you decide to stay with us again at that time. I will address your concerns with our housekeeping staff as well. Please contact me at the hotel directly if you would like to further discuss the matter.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were two families and we had booked two queen rooms. The location isnt that great and there's no restaurants nearby that you can walk to. The hotel provides shuttle service to the station. You can reach DC in about 20 mins. Breakfast is OK and the cookies were great. The staff were very warm and hospitable and they provided all guidance required. Special mention to Jake / Jacob who was indeed super help.

Rooms were good & spacious and beds comfortable. We had a small refrigerator n microwave. The AC in our room had to be reset many times and the night manager had come over promptly to fix this. Coin laundry is available which was great for us families with kids.

If only dine-in dinner option was available...the hotel would have been best.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank roby_mathews

Thank you for your kind words. I will pass along the message to our staff. There is a Red Lobster and Subway within a 10 minute walk and other options within 2 miles of the hotel. If you come back to the area we can provide a list of those restaurants.

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

I would have possibly given this hotel a hire rating if the front desk would have been more concerned by the fact that me and my 260lb husband slept on a bed that was more like a See Saw in the playground. Our bed literally tilted to one side. This wasnt initially apparent because me and the children were already asleep before my husband got in the bed and woke me up when he rolled to the floor. It was too late to call down..however we continued up and down the entire night fighting not to fall off the bed. But he rolled again and I felt myself rolling in my sleep in the mid morning and he went out and I almost followed him. When I called down the next morning to complain, the girl at the front desk didnt apologize just simply sd she will send maintenance up. I said this is not a good time we are up now. I addressed it with her at check and she called maintainence. Since my husband had already pd and was in the car, I didnt want to make a further issue because I know me. I dont really want to offer any positive comments except the room was clean. The hotel is off many highways so be care when trying to manever. There were not any local wawas or 7-11's. I did venture to the left of Auth Road and made a right and about 2 miles down I ran into an interesting strip mall the adjacent neighborHOOD with the most ran down Macy's I've ever seen in my life. I was disappointed with the experience. PERIOD.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Breathless01

I'm very sorry to hear the bed wasn't to your liking. I hope our engineer was able to resolve the issue. I will check back with him to see what occurred.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is a great option for stay in the DC area. It is only 5 mins from the Branch Line metro station which will take you quickly to all of the sites. The staff will drive you to the metro so no need for a car. As an alternative, the bus stops right next to the hotel. The staff are pleasant, and try to do all they can to assist. Breakfast is a good start for the day.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thankyou for your comment! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Camp Springs
Hampton Inn & Suites Camp Springs/Andrews AFB
Holiday Inn Express Washington DC East - Andrews AFB
Comfort Inn at Joint Base Andrews
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#5 of 9 in Camp Springs
Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC - Oxon Hill
Country Inn & Suites Washington DC East - Capitol Heights, MD.

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Camp Springs (Andrews Air Force Base)? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Camp Springs (Andrews Air Force Base)

Address: 4950 Mercedes Blvd, Camp Springs, MD 20746-4337
Location: United States > Maryland > Camp Springs
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Camp Springs
Price Range: $103 - $189 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Camp Springs (Andrews Air Force Base) 3*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Carlson, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Orbitz, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Camp Springs (Andrews Air Force Base) reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Country Inn & Suites Andrews Air Force Base Hotel Camp Springs