“A very good property, but lots of road noise detracts from stay”

Holiday Inn Express Washington DC East - Andrews AFB
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Camp Springs
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Holiday Inn Express Camp Springs, MD
I stayed in room 529 a double queen bedded room.

PRO’S

• Outdoor pool
• 32” flatscreen TV is now commonplace
• Has micro/fridge
• Bathroom while small looks fresh/current with 2 tiered vanity
• Tile floors in bath
• Room has had some updating to look current
• Near Andrews AFB
• Decent internet speed and connection

CON’s

• Pool faces expressway
• Small work desk with ONLY ONE electrical outlet to power electronics
• Mediocre chair is not designed for extended sessions on laptop
• Walls in hallway finished poorly
• Constant moderate highway noise. Noise may be reduced on opposite side of building?
I left fan running on high all night to negate the sound. Worked for me.
• Small bath vanity leaves little room for toiletries despite being double tiered

The breakfast area was small and crowded. I took my food to the room. They had some hot food choices, cereal, yogurt, breads, pancake maker, etc.

Overall I would give this property an 88/100 and a 90/100 for value. It’s a good property at a good price. The highway noise got old after a while, but it would be fine for 1-2 nights.

I would consider staying here in the future. I might consider staying at the Country Inn and Suites or Hampton Inn across the road next time, they also looked good and are not so close to the highway

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank YepBeenThere
Melanie M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC East - Andrews AFB, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2014

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express, Washington, DC East. I am excited that you listed all of the “PRO’S” that we offer! We also take great pride in our customer service, and the cleanliness of our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you experienced outside noise, I know how important it is to have a good night sleep. If you had mentioned the noise to one of our guest service associates they would have been more than happy to move your room to a quieter area of the hotel. We offer a hot breakfast that everyone loves! I apologize there was no one to direct you to our large meeting room where we have additional tables set up for our guests to enjoy their breakfast. I look forward to your return visit!

Hospitality Yours,
M. Myers

Reviewed June 3, 2014

You know it is unusual to find a hotel where people actual care. I arrived at Holiday Inn Express and realized that i was at the wrong hotel, not even the same company, i was supposed to be meeting my fiance at Days Inn. They answered ask my questions and then have me a ride to the right hotel for free in their shuttle. Any other hotel would have so to bad so sad but they didn't. They even offered me yea and cookies, and them helping me when u had no other way means so much. All of the people working at this Holiday Inn were amazingly nice, down to earth, and overall pleasant and helpful. Thank u Holiday Inn for caring!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I booked two rooms for me and my family , When we arrived their was no one at the desk , And when they did appear they did not seem very interested in assisting us with check-in. Once we were checked in we were checked into occupied rooms and when we came don to desk and explained what had happened , we were met with a blank stare. Once they finally situated us in our rooms , the chaos really began , we had one issue after the other toilet was broke , rooms smelled like mildew and maintenance seemed no existent in this place. They had a large group of kids there , who were loud , slamming doors and running up down the halls . We called down and complained to the desk clerk who stated their was nothing he could do I asked for his name and he hung up!!!, Breakfast was a nightmare they ran out of food, their was no manager present initially, I only asked to speak to someone for 45 minutes, Finally a women appeared who identified herself as the Sales person, While she could not change the many challenges we faced she was the only one in this Awful hotel who took the time to apologize. Needless to say she give us her business card , along with the card for the General Manager whom I called repeatedly for days. It seems as though Ms. Meyers is to busy to reach out to her guests. If I can say anything good about this hotel it would be your Sales Director Denetra is a Class ACT!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Gogettergirl2010

I am so sorry to hear of your experience at the Holiday Inn Express. I was away from the property on a business trip. While I was away, the Director Of Sales took care of our guests and I apologize I did not receive a message that you called. Please reach out to me I would like to discuss your stay with you at your convenience.

Hospitality Yours,

M.Myers

Reviewed May 24, 2014

We had the best experience at this hotel! Every single staff member was fantastic. They couldn't do enough for us - from reception to courtesy bus drivers! They were helpful, friendly, respectful. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The courtesy bus was great for getting to metro or restaurants to save us having to find our way around. It was the service received from staff that made this place outstanding!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2014

We had a fantastic time at this hotel! The staff was very helpful and made every attempt to make us feel at home during our stay. It is very close to restaurants and the metro which they will gladly give you a ride to catch. The security guard, a woman, (didn't catch her name) helped us to read the metro map and coached us newbies in the art of not getting lost in the madness. Our metro van bus driver, once again we don't remember his name, was just FANTASTIC and personable. HOWEVER, an overcharge on our bill of over $200, and a dispute over these charges resulting in a six month argument to receive my credit, (which was given to another guest at the time), leaves me with no choice but to give the hotel a lower rating. The hotel staff itself: our driver, security guard, housekeeping all deserve a rating of five. The front desk and manager not so much.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Amy J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC East - Andrews AFB, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Dear Amy J,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate billing confusion prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

Reviewed May 8, 2014

I stayed at this hotel while on business, I have never seen a more mismanaged hotel in all my years in the industry. As a fellow hotelier I was completely taken aback at the condition of the hotel. When I arrived to the hotel , the lobby was ok! Although it could still use an update, the staff was rather accommodating and friendly. But the room was a different story , the room smelled as if it had not been serviced in days , not to mention the smell on the 3rd floor , the carpet is dirty and the wallpaper looked as if it had seen better days. I called down to the desk regarding the sickly smell and was offered a room move , I took their offer and was then placed in a room that had a toilet that barley flushed and cigarette ashes on the floor , I was under the impression that this was a none smoking hotel. Because it was late I stayed in the room and decided to check out in the morning and go to another hotel. When I checked out of the hotel i asked to speak to the Manager and was told that she would not be in. I have called several times to speak with the Manager and every time she is never available. It is no wonder this hotel is a dump , no manager is available which would explain the horrible condition of the hotel. i normally do not leave reviews but i figured I would share with you that the best part of my stay was your Front desk Staff. FYI for the money that this place charges you guys could at least live up to the standard. I will never stay here again and I happen to be part of the rewards program and I have never seen anything like this.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TTOpro
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC East - Andrews AFB, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2014

Dear TTOpro,

Thank you for being a member of our IHG Rewards Club program and leaving us feedback. It is regrettable that this stay did not meet your expectations. We have sent you a private message to discuss.

Pam G

Reviewed April 27, 2014

This hotel ruined my entire trip. After the first night at this hotel, I had to book another hotel for the rest of my trip. There was way too much noise that I did not sleep for the whole night, the only night I stayed there.

Holiday Inn Express staffs showed no interests in helping me with the problem; they did not show a simple attitude that they want to improve my sleep quality; they did not apologize for anything; they did not refund my money.

This hotel does not care about customers at all. When i went to front desk to ask about the noise, they simply told me that they hope my second night will be better... NOT EVEN A SIMPLE APOLOGY....I

This April my girlfriend and I drove from Toronto to Washington the first time, and we stayed for 4 nights. We arrived DC late at 3 am because of driving. I just wanted a good night sleep. Started 6am, there was roadwork just across the street that constantly making lot of noise. There were also lots of airplanes flying by. The problem was that the hotel room window does not block sound very well. So I ended up had no sleep at all.
I was hoping the hotel staff could do something, or at least be interested in helping me out. However, the staff even joked about the airplanes, and did not show any interests in helping me.

Holiday Inn disappointed me so much. Their staff needs more training in order to deliver acceptable services. Attitude is the key. I do not mind throwing away that 600 dollars, but this hotel experience ruined my first day at Washington DC, and destroy my mood for the entire trip. I will never stay at Holiday Inn in my life.

This hotel is not suggested to any traveler.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC East - Andrews AFB, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear dixxixi,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC East - Andrews AFB. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen G.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Camp Springs
Hampton Inn & Suites Camp Springs/Andrews AFB
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Camp Springs (Andrews Air Force Base), MD
Woodspring Suites Washington DC Andrews AFB
Comfort Inn at Joint Base Andrews
Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC - Oxon Hill
Sleep Inn & Suites Upper Marlboro near Andrews AFB

Been to Holiday Inn Express Washington DC East - Andrews AFB? Share your experiences!