“Romelia is AWESOME”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Camp Springs
Cary, North Carolina
“Romelia is AWESOME”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I do not have much to say about the quality of the cleanliness or the competency of the staff at this hotel. However, Romelia is awesome. She was the one bright spot of our trip. When she took us to the Metro station (twice) these trips were the only time we made it on-time to get to our conference. The breakfast when she was there was very good. She made it a point to make sure every guest had what they needed - above and beyond the call of duty. We plan to return June with our families to tour the capital and will only book here again if Romelia is working.

After missing my first night due to a storm in VA that also had the power at the hotel flicker and cause the elevator not to work, I was charged the wrong rate for my room. The staff I spoke to that night was not a good listener and did not understand until I explained four times that I had no issue with paying for the room, I just wanted the I was charged to be corrected to the rate I agreed to when I booked. I reserved the last room for that night because the hotel was booked with school kids on a trip. Had I known this when I was reserving, I would have chosen another hotel. I let the desk clerk know that I was in town for a conference and had writing to do and would need quiet. Upon my check in I was given a room (decorated nicely) next door to the fitness room. After being awakened twice I switched rooms at 2am. The room looked fine, but there were hairs I in the bed and the bathroom was filthy. I used my own linens and cleaning supplies to clean the brown chunks that came from the shower bar.

The shuttle service was only great when Romelia drove us. The first day I asked for the shuttle and waited for 20 minutes while the driver chatted with the other young man at the desk before I decided to take me to the Metro (great that it is only minutes away). The second day Romelia took my and my roommate to the shuttle on time and we arrived at our conference with time to spare. That evening, we called ahead (20 minutes) to schedule the shuttle for our arrival at the Metro and were assured that it would be there. The shuttle did not arrive until 40 minutes after I called. The driver stated that he had four other passengers to take back to the hotel first (the van is a large van that would have held six people plus luggage easily. I spoke with Ron II upon my arrival and his response was "I got you". I will be checking out today due to the snow and my desire to not get stuck and unable to make the 5 hour drive home, which means I will lose another night charge. As I told Ron, I am paying close to $300 for rooms that I cannot use (and cannot be saved for a late date or transferred to a hotel in my area) and do not feel that it is too much to ask to be picked up from the shuttle on-time when I called ahead. The extra 20 minute wait caused us to be late for a gala where we missed receiving our award and the photo opportunity and the chance to speak.

The only thing I can recommend about this hotel is Romelia. She was absolutely a joy and a top notch professional.

Room Tip: Room 225 is good if properly cleaned. Great hot water and shower pressure. Avoid foom on 2nd floor...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Melanie M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC East - Andrews AFB, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
I am so happy you were able to experience Ms. Romelia’s Hospitality! She is a wonderful woman with a heart of platinum. We take great pride in delivering exceptional service to all of our guests. Fortunately we were very busy at the time of your visit with wonderful students taking an educational trip of a lifetime to Washington, DC. We offer a complimentary shuttle within a five mile radius of the hotel to all of our guests. As you can imagine with offering free shuttle service to the area, many of our guests utilize this great service. We do our very best to get every single guest to their destination as quickly and as safely as possible. As you are aware traffic may get very busy at times in the area. I am very sorry you missed your Gala, please remember there are other forms of transportation in the area we could have easily arranged for you so you would not have missed such an important event. We look forward to your return!

Hospitality Yours,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Prestatyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2014

we can vouch for that ...
what a great 2 day stay we had last month ..
start with hand directions from another state/sister hotel ..
to the shuttle driver that waited for us 15 minutes in the snow !!!
A real value for money deal with great staff and service ..
It does not matter that it may be off the beaten track !! we took advantage of their free shuttle and used the Metro ..
both days the driver had to battle the bad weather but made sure we were safe and warm ...
Our room was comfy and clean and ready when we arrived early ..
The free breakfast was great with lots of it ... we also used the free internet with no problem ..
thanks to all the staff they really made our stay that much better and a special shout out to our two shuttle drivers ..

Room Tip: use the free shuttle it's available for you ..
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Melanie M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC East - Andrews AFB, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
I am so excited you had a wonderful stay! We strive to exceed our guest's expectations and we certainly did that for you. I am glad you took advantage of our shuttle, we enjoy taking our guests out to eat, shopping or to the Metro station. It is very convenient having a metro station so close to the hotel. Our housekeeping staff always go above and beyond to make sure your room is clean and comfy. We always want to make sure our guests get plenty to eat as well; everyone loves our cinnamon rolls. I look forward to your next visit with us.

M.Myers
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 21, 2014

My stay here was wonderful guest agent Ron II was great took care of every need to welcome to finding a good place for us to have dinner always was there to help and came down to fix are t.v with no problem excellent Guest Agent Recommend His Service

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank william J
Ron is amazing and loves to take care of our guests! I am thrilled he took such good care of you! I hope you were able to take advantage of our shuttle, we will take you to one of the local restaurants or even drop you off at the outlets to do some shopping. If you just want to kick back and relax in the room; you can order carry-out and a movie. I look forward to your next visit and hopefully one of our other guest service associates can WOW you like Ron did :)

M.Myers
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We booked this hotel because of its proximity to the Fed Ex Field. We also wanted to have a nice night out at a bar in DC. It seems like everything is less than 30 minutes away from the hotel. This location is close with easy access to the Metro, however we had a DD that night. Fed Ex Field is about a 15 minute car drive from the hotel. Adams Morgan (a popular bar filled area in DC) is less than 30 minutes way. Old Town Alexandra (bar filled area for a more mature crowd) is about 13 minutes away. We know because we ended up traveling to both. The hotel’s staff was very friendly. The room was clean and neat. Our heating unit worked wonders. Considering that it snowed during our visit, we were very happy. The only complaint that I had about my stay is the free breakfast. I wasn’t expecting much since it was free. They could’ve had some yellow and not brown bananas though. Everything that I tried was not appealing to my taste buds. The bacon, the muffin, the eggs, etc. were not tasty. The yogurt was good, but I think that is because it was one of the only items not prepared at the hotel. I believe that it’s a Holiday Inn Express thing because this was not the first one that I was not impressed by. The attendant was very nice. She made us some bacon because the pancake machine was not working. I would recommend staying at this hotel but get your own breakfast.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Melanie M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC East - Andrews AFB, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
What a nice review! I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy our breakfast, we will be adding some healthier items to our breakfast selection very soon. The pancake machine gets used a lot and is repaired now, I am happy that our breakfast server found another alternative for you. You did such a nice job of highlighting our great location - where we are a very quiet hotel but still conveniently located for access to the area and highways. Thank you for also pointing out our clean and comfortable rooms! I look forward to your next visit.

Melanie Myers
Comstock Park, MI
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Great property. Rooms were spotless, beds were comfy. Internet worked well. Breakfast was std HIEx standard. Off the beaten path and quiet. Not sure about groups but given the staff I am sure they are handled well. My new favorite in DC area. as a Platinum member of IHG I highly recommend. .

Room Tip: high floor always works well for me.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Melanie M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC East - Andrews AFB, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
We truly appreciate all of our IHG Reward Members! We realize that as a Platinum member you do a lot of traveling, we want to make sure you have a clean, and comfortable stay! Our team takes great pride in the cleanliness of our hotel. I hope you had a chance to utilize our free shuttle that will take you to the local restaurants and shops. We look forward to your next visit!

Melanie Myers
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stay in the area for work at Andrews AFB fairly often. I'm a IHG Gold/Intercontinental Ambassador, so I've traveled enough to know what to expect from different locations in the chain. This location seems to get a little bit worse every time I go.
Though not the fault of the hotel, there is almost always a bus of school kids on a field trip to the city. It's not a big deal, but because of this one can usually expect some late night noise and kids running through the halls like it's the first time they've spent a night away from home.
The thing that finally brought me to writing a review was the state of the rooms. I've easily been to this location in the area of 10 times and have been everywhere from the nicer rooms upstairs, to the basement rooms downstairs with a bed that they call hotel rooms. During my most recent stay, I walked in fairly late, thought I smelled some mold, but was too tired to deal with it and went to bed. The next morning, the smell of mold in the bathroom was very strong. I brushed my teeth and did a quick rinse in the shower but was a bit grossed out to relax. I investigated and found the piping under the sink was almost completely black from funk and there were circular spores above the shower as well. I checked out and showed the pictures to the front desk. Although they seemed concerned, they didn't offer anything in concession. I went on the website and asked for a refund of my priority club points that I had used to book the room. I didn't even ask for money in my refund, just a return of my points for a subpar stay in a disgusting room. I got an e-mail back offering half of my points. According to the e-mail, "The reason I am doing half of the amount is that I feel it supports our Hospitality Promise given the circumstances." Seriously? A few days later, I got another e-mail asking me to review the hotel on the hotel site. I was told I would hear back within 24 hours. I really hate posting bad reviews, but this is typically the only way to break the silence and get things accomplished when other courses of action fail.
About 10 minutes away, there's another Holiday Inn Express in Largo. It doesn't have the easy metro access, but all in all it is a much nicer property.

Room Tip: Request that you aren't down in the basement. Find out if there is a field trip coming in and tr...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ChrisD984
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC East - Andrews AFB, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear ChrisD984,

We welcome feedback especially from our valued guests like you. We are always happy to provide a consistently clean, comfortable and courteous place for our guest to stay. We apologize for the inconvenience you encountered due to the poor cleanliness of the bathroom and if your found our customer service less than satisfactory. Your comments will help us improve our services and offer a great experience for our guest.

Once again, thank you for alerting us and bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention. Your feedback is our best resource for improving guest services.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Smithfield, VA
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stay in the Andrews AFB area when I have to travel into DC on business. There is a Metro Station off Branch Avenue, and this hotel will shuttle you over in the AM, and ... with some delay sometimes, pick you back up in the PM. Or vice versa, I guess.

My arrival was pleasant. The desk clerk acted like he had been waiting just for me. I was checked in quickly. Amazingly enough for such an aged hotel, the electronic key worked the first time ... and every time.

The place shows it's age. But it was clean and comfortable. And every time I passed thru the lobby area, I was greeted by whatever staff was nearby.

The breakfast was tolerable. There were choices including scrambled (probably powdered) eggs, sausage links, sausage gravy (which I disguised the eggs with), pastries, cereals, etc. The coffee was quite decent, and the juices were OK, too. The lady who took care of the breakfast bar was always smiling.

I dined at the "nearby" Red Lobster on evening. I would not walk that distance in an unfamiliar neighborhood. But the food and service were good. Good thing as it's perhaps the only game nearby. I've never ventured that far from the hotel.

Checkout was again efficient. The only problem was that the printer was not working so I did not get a receipt, but the amount the clerk relayed to me matched what I was expecting.

There is one more hotel on that street, and one going up, so I expect that the HI Express will feel some pressure to spiff up ... and hold the line on prices. I understand that it is under new management ... and my impression is that they are managing well.

One note. Although I had a non-smoking room, my sensitive nose could detect that smokers had been there at one time or another.

I recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC East - Andrews AFB, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear Big-Deeee,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. Our goal is to ensure you feel valued and appreciated and I am happy our hotel exceeded your expectations. We are glad to read you liked our hotel, staff service and breakfast options. I apologize for any discomfort caused by the unusual smell. Rest assured your comment will be looked into.

Again, thank you for your review. We would cherish another moment to host your next stay when you are in the area again.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camp Springs
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Camp Springs (Andrews Air Force Base)
Hampton Inn & Suites Camp Springs/Andrews AFB
Comfort Inn at Joint Base Andrews
Red Roof PLUS+ Washington DC - Oxon Hill
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#5 of 9 in Camp Springs
Woodspring Suites Washington DC Andrews AFB

Been to Holiday Inn Express Washington DC East - Andrews AFB? Share your experiences!