“July 4th with young kids”

Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 16, 2007

We traveled to the Hyatt for one night on July 4th with our two young children (2&4). We arrived early and they were able to give us our room with a nice view of the bay. We asked for a crib at check in, but had to ask a second time a couple hours later before they delivered it.

The rooms are fantastic, large and clean, with comfortable beds. We had a nice balcony, refrigerator, and large bathroom. We could not ask for a nicer room.

The service was mostly excellent as well. Most of the staff was very helpful and offered quick service. Only one exception to this, but this was minor and I would still give the service a 9 out of 10.

The food was OK to good. This was the one area where I had higher expectations. We had poolside service for lunch and everything was fine, but nothing I would order again. In the evening, we did the buffet which was nothing to write home about. The breakfast buffet in the morning was excellent.

There is plenty to do for young kids with great pools, smores at the fire pit, and beautiful grounds. The planned kids activities were not the best, but there was plenty else to do that it did not matter.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed July 16, 2007

We stayed 3 nights in June. (We met family members from CT there.)

The stay was great, the facility is beautiful and very serene. The rooms were great, we had one on the top floor -- it had a vaulted ceiling, which really made it seem much larger. Plus, the empty fridge was really nice to be able to put snacks and drinks in -- there's a WalMart across the street from the resort. The coolest thing about most Hyatt's -- they have wonderful roll-away beds for young children -- absolutely fantastic!

We received free breakfast everyday w/our stay & the food was good.

It was great to have everything in one location, we had 3 kids between 3-5 in our party & we didn't leave the facility, except for 1 evening for dinner & a trip to WalMart prior to checking in.

The only negatives, which I would not expect at a more moderately priced hotel (but this is a Hyatt) were... 1) There's an adult pool, but adults can't use rafts to float on it in -- it's only a pool for relaxing. (Silly me, I thought floating on a raft in a near empty pool would be relaxing.) 2) The large pool that kids can use was pretty dirty every day -- lots of deadbugs, sand, grass, etc. (The had a 1' kiddie pool, but we never went to it.) 3) Though they advertise a beach, don't expect a lot -- it's very small, obviously man-made & the river water is gross! 4) Don't expect much from the balconies -- it's big enough for you to step out onto it & that's it -- not even enough room for our 4 year to sit down on it.

Positives -- great facility to relax w/family, staff was okay -- but we also didn't ask for much, the rooms are nice, easy 'resort' to get around in w/areas for everyone in the family -- pool tables, puzzle area, large chess board outside, pools, beach, marina, minature golf, golf, etc. A great 'gimmick' they have is a huge stone fireplace that they light a fire in every night & you can buy the stuff to make sa'mores by the fire -- the kids loved it!

I'd go back, though it depends on how commercialized it gets. Right now, the Hyatt is the only thing there, but they're building a 4-story time-share next door and villas behind that -- I see it becoming too crowed & the wildlife & water possibly not being so nice in the future.)

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ShelbyJR
Reviewed July 11, 2007

I was a bit worried to stay here after the reveiws, however, we had a great time. All we wanted to do was sit by the pool and relax for a few days and that is what we did! Our room was beautiful, the people were very nice, and the resort was very clean and a really nice time. Now, there is nothing to do outside the resort, but if you are looking for some pool time, it's great.

The food was just ok, but it was typical resort food. My only compliant and it wasn't really even a complaint, was like stated below a lot of the staff is international students and it's hard when you are ordering food. You are fine as long as you don't want anything different than what is on the menu.

Otherwise, great spot. The infinity pool is really nice!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Hyatt Chesapeake Bay has the potential to be a truly outstanding property BUT unfortunately management is NOT in control. The property is pet friendly (saw at least 20 different dogs during our 4 day stay) and has strict rules as to where dogs can and cannot go.... unfortunately a significant number of pet owners choose to ignore the rules and hotel management does nothing to correct the situation. Staff are not empowered to tell pet owners to move dogs off the the pool decks, or that dogs are not allowed in the fire pit for the evening "smores event" (We saw a pitbull growling at two other dogs during one of the events- all this while sorrounded by children carrying marshmallows and chocolate). One guest we spoke to, told us they found dog feces by the pool early one morning. We were told animals were only permitted in 10 rooms all of which are on the same wing- we were in a completely different part of the hotel and yet we saw two guests casually stroll their dogs into a room a floor beneath ours- later that night we heard barking coming from the room so I know the dogs were not there for a short visit.
The slide by the pool has a 48 inch minimum height requirement.... lifeguards completely ignored the rule and let toddlers slide down by themselves..... Camp Hyatt counselors put young kids into the hot tub (easy to control them that way, I suppose).... speaking of lifeguards they looked extremely bored and half the time weren't even watching the pool. I would suggest a rotation system where lifeguards spend no more than 15 minutes a post and no more than half hour on duty.
We heard about a guest who was chocking and that it took the front desk half an hour to summon security- luckily for the gentle man that was chocking he managed to clear things out himself.... all in all despite the nice property the Hyatt Chaesapeake is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank MTCB
Reviewed July 8, 2007

My husband and I just returned from two nights at the Hyatt. The property is lovely...perfect for "just relaxing". Three days/two nights was very much appreciated. Any longer and we would have been bored. Positives included: beautiful grounds/views during the day and evening; large, clean rooms; family/pet friendly; nice bar area; nice pool areas; one of the nicer gift shops I've seen in a hotel. Negatives include: NOTHING to do in Cambridge if you leave the hotel grounds; food at the hotel is average at best.
St. Michael's is an easy 30 minute drive from this property. We ate in the hotel the first evening out of convenience but drove to St. Michael's for the second night and had a FANTASTIC dinner at Sherwood's Landing at the Inn at Perry Cabin. There are several great restaurants to choose from in St. Michael's and it's a great little town to visit.
Again, we really enjoyed our stay and would certainly return for a quick "get-away" but would need to plan at least one outing away from the property if we were to stay for more than one night.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2007

There were some very nice things and some sketchy things about this place.
Let's start with the positives....

I'm a widowed mom of 2 toddlers and took my younger sister with me for 2 nights mid week.

We got there early and were able to check into our room 2 hours early which was nice. We did not get a water view however.
A friend of a friend knows the sales associate, and she had a bowl of cherries waiting for us - very nice.

We did not have a water view, which was kind of sad - especially since our room overlooked the road and main drop off/car valet area. To valet park is $17 per night! We self parked needless to say!

FOOD -
We weren't jazzed about the hotel food for lunches, BUT
for dinners both nights we ate at Blue Point - and this was amazing. A shuttle will take you there or it is a short walk.
I had the crabcakes which were delectable and I'm a very picky crab cake eater born and raised in Maryland. The french fries are possibly the best I've ever eaten - I'm also a huge french fry fan and picky over those. The green beans were perfectly cooked and the Caesar salad had the most amazing croutons.
They bring out blueberry muffins as you wait for your meal, my boys loved this. My sister had some Thai shrimp/rice combo and loved it, the second night a fancy mac and cheese with crab type dish which she loved. The music was GREAT (we are 21 and 35 so maybe too young for some?) And the manager Troy was very nice and asked us to come again even with my wild and crazy boys. We LOVED the food here. Bill was about 100 bucks with tip for all 4 of us, no alcoholic drinks.

POOLS -
I bought a blow up alligator raft for my boys and expected it to be $40 but it was only $12, very reasonable. They loved the water slide. The first day we were told they were too short (Both under 48 inches) but the 2nd day the lifeguards were very lax and could care less who got on. They even some kids run and swing from the top pole and take a diving leap onto the slide. As a previous lifeguard myself, this made my heart stop! The boys loved the slide, even though it was illegal for us to get on. Some bratty little girls at the bottom would smack us as we came flying down the slide, which hurt terribly. I told someone about this and they luckily put an end to it. The infinity pool looked nice, they weren't big on kids in there so we never went. The indoor pool was very nice and done in a classy way.

ACTIVITIES
They have free mini golf which is nice for the kids. Also free billiards/pool. We really enjoyed the library of books and sat and read the kids children's books before bed and they loved that.
The river area is nice because the kids can play with some sand and walk into the river and just adds something instead of just having pools. You can rent kayaks, but the kids were too little for this. We didn't try the spa and never had time for the fitness center. Our work out was carrying the boys up the steps to the slides about 25 times in a row. They had a nice oversized checkers area for the kids to play on out near the fireplace and a kiddie pool that we didn't use too much.

BIGGEST RIP OFF
They promoted Smores at 7 pm near the fire = so I said oh how nice and brought the kids. Well, no one was there to coordinate, I saw a couple eating smores w/ their kids and went to grab some and realized they brought their own. Where did you get the marshmallows and graham crackers? I asked. They said they learned the hard way and bought theirs from the wal mart across the street. You could buy some from the store, but it was like $5 or more for a bag of like 8 graham crackers, a hershey bar and maybe 10 marshmallows. Big rip off.

CAMP HYATT -
I have to say I think parents are crazy to send their kids here.
We saw camp hyatt in action and there were about 25 crazy kids running wild doing their own thing, with maybe one 20 year old guy watching them at the pools. They were all over the place with little to no supervision. Maybe things are different inside or with other activities, but my sister and I both noted that we were glad our kids weren't potty trained b/c I might have tried camp hyatt and i'm glad we did not and just chose to spend the time with my kids. I can't speak to this too much b/c i didn't use the service, this is just what I observed.

ROOM
The room was nicely appointed and the bed was super comfy.
The bathroom was nice also. We did notice a major leak in the hallway that seeped into our room and we called and alerted them that our floor was all wet. Wasn't really an issue, but wondering if water damage came about after we left.
THE BALCONY was the most painful to sit or stand on balcony i've ever had. very bizarre and about 1 foot long. very strange balconies. we talked about how useless they were a good amount.

SERVICE
The bell/valet/hotel check in people were all nice as can be and super friendly.
There are a ton of foreign teens (just like in ocean city) who barely speak english working at the hotel restaurants/pools and it was very hard to interact with them because they barely understood money/exchange and/or basic questions.
At one point I saw a manager come out and say to a lifeguard who looked bored out of her mind (i understand how that is)
"oh good, you are awake today" loudly in front of the guests. yeah, maybe want to keep that one to yourself.

I think if I had the chance to go here with my husband we would have enjoyed it - he could have golfed and i could have done the spa. I missed him on this trip as I always do and would have liked to have tried it in a couple type setting.

I've heard this place was built to be a casino and then gambling fell thru in MD - that makes a lot of sense because you get the feeling there should be something to do way out there so far from the beach (an hour) and more things to do.

But, Overall, I really liked the views and the things to do here.
We never went into town, the valet told us there is nothing for kids there at all and it was over 90 degrees so we just went straight home. It is a pretty place, with a nice restaurant, a cute little store with nice souvenirs and gifts and treats, a small game room and lots of little activities. I think it is worth a visit to see for yourself. I'll try to attach photos. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Stayed: June 2007
5  Thank joeybagz312
Reviewed June 26, 2007

My husband and I stayed here recently for a work-related retreat. We had a great time, but since we weren't paying for it I have no idea whether it was a good value.

Our room was very large and was located on a corner, so it had two sets of sliding glass doors leading out to a huge wraparound balcony. I think we had one of the nicest rooms; non-corner rooms had these very odd small balconies (more like Juliet balconies). The bed was soooo comfortable. I believe the hotel is about 5 years old so the furniture and furnishings were in fairly good shape.

The bathroom was spacious and nice. There were even complimentary bath salts which I used - but unfortunately there was no ledge at the end of the bathtub or any space for me to rest my head so it was an uncomfortable bath.

The gym was nice. There are three pools, but none of them is really suitable for swimming laps. I still tried to do so in the indoor pool, dodging children and families. It worked out OK, but there were lots of huge clumps of hair suspended in the water - the filtration system needs to be improved, or the pool needs to be cleaned more often.

Our meals were catered by the hotel so I can't really comment on the restaurants, but the food itself was great. The staff was very friendly and helpful. A few of them made a point of asking us, "Are you having a good time?"

The thing that really won me over was the s'mores. At 7 PM each night they have free s'mores at the outdoor fireplace. They give you a brown paper bag containing marshmallows, graham crackers, and a chocolate bar. The marshmallows were the cheap kind so they stuck together and got messy even before they were roasted - but hey, free s'mores! What's not to love.

Overall we had a great stay, and we would love to stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank PhillyGirl33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Oxford Inn
Oxford Inn
#1 of 1 in Oxford
Days Inn & Suites Cambridge

Been to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina? Share your experiences!