“What a wonderful place!”

Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed February 2, 2006

My husband and I went the Hyatt in Cambridge Maryland for our 25th wedding anniversary and I must say that everything was perfect. The staff was wonderful and they helped to make my anniversary a memorable one! The views are breathtaking and I had the most sumptuous spa treatment it was truly out of this world. If you are considering traveling to this resort I must say that I highly recommend it! I can’t wait to return in the summer time when all of the outdoor pools are open so I can get the full experience and my husband can go golfing.

• Stayed: February 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,440)

Reviewed January 26, 2006

Stayed for a night with a friend and our 4 children (ages 1-8) to beat the winter blahs. It was worth the $99 per night rate we got but I wouldn't stay for their exorbitant normal rates. Last year in the dead of winter, the quoted rate was $360! A one night getaway was plenty.

The rooms were clean but nothing special. The beds were hard and there were no extra pillows or blankets in the room. There is no fan in the bathroom which left the room uncomfortable and muggy for hours after we showered and it was difficult to eliminate unpleasant bathroom odors. There was a refrigerator in the room which is nice for saving your leftovers and keeping kid juice etc. (However the food at the restaurants was marginal and overpriced so we didn't even bother to keep our leftovers.)

We ate at the marina restaurant which was casual and suitable for children. The staff was pleasant but not particularly attentive. Very disappointed with the taste and quality of the food, particularly for the prices. The onsite convenience store was also ridiculously costly.

Personal note to other Diet Coke-aholics in the world: Nothing but Pepsi products at Hyatt so bring your own stash.

The indoor pool was nice, large and uncrowded. The kids loved it, but it was a bit too cold for adults to tolerate. The indoor/outdoor spa was a big hit with the 6-8 year olds. The pool staff was very pleasant. The baby was permitted to use the pool if properly outfitted in a swim diaper. There is a great game room with ping pong, shuffleboard etc.

One night was plenty in the winter. There really wasn't anything else to do (on or off site) if you don't play golf or want overpriced spa treatments.

Overall it was fine but nothing to rave about. I wouldn't mind checking it out when outdoor activities are an option but don't feel compelled to return anytime soon.

• Stayed: January 2006
5  Thank hebsy
Reviewed January 26, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three nights after studying for the bar exam in August. We would have been better at a place with less kids, but we made the best of it. We were also able to bring our dog with us, which is the reason we stayed here. The hotel has a couple (5-6) rooms on the side for people with dogs. It was great to do a weekend getaway and have our dog with us. There was a nice trail (not long) to walk through and an area right outside our rooms for the dogs to play. The dog rooms are off to the side of the hotel so you're not really near the other guests. Our room was very nice and the service to the room was good. The hotel grounds were nicely kept also.

The waterslide in the pool was a lot of fun and we snuck out way in with the other adults. The pools were definitely filled with kids so if you're not a kid person, this is not the place for you. We had fun with it and if anything it brought out the kid in us. My complaint would be that they closed the waterslide pool early because they were short a lifeguard. There were activities and a game room but we didn't make it there. It looked like fun though. We also did the smores and enjoyed it very much. The fireplace was nice to sit near. It was also nice that the kids dispersed within a few minutes so we had some nice quiet time there with our smores. There are two hammocks down by the beach (bay) area. They were nice but we had to wait a few minutes for the kids to finish playing. For the most part, the beach area was dead. We also rented a kayak for a half hour and loved it. It wasn't anything too exciting but a fun excursion nonetheless.

We also enjoyed the Water's Edge restaurant. We had dinner there one night and had fantasic service. Our waitress was excellent and made us finally feel like relaxing adults.

All in all we enjoyed our stay here. Having our dog with us was a big plus. I'd stay here again but not for a relaxing weekend. The kids made it fun for us, although we may have enjoyed it a little more if there weren't so many kids.

My biggest complaint would be the service at the indoor pool snack stand at ordering drinks outside. We ordered lunch (chicken fingers and fries) one day at the indoor pool stand and waited at least 20 minutes for it. It was crazy. We then went outside and someone ordered us drinks but she didn't return for at least 10-15 minutes. Those were really our only two complaints. It didn't help that they happened on our first day so our first impression wasn't great. But the stayed was good after that. It could also be that the resort was short staffed, which we were told.

• Stayed: August 2005
3  Thank ndecost1
Reviewed January 15, 2006

Stayed at Hyatt for a weekend getaway. Very nice rooms and very clean. Food is a problem. There are no real options for dining outside the resort for a good meal except Suicide Bridge Restauarant which was closed during our stay. The food was mediocre and overpriced at all the resort venues-and worse-the wait staff seemed indifferent to customer satisfaction. We tried the breaksfast buffet one morning (17.95/pp). The selection was very limited. They cooked a made to order omelet and burned it so completely that one would expect that pride would dictate that they would have thrown it away and made another - but they served it anyway and seemed surprised that I didn't consume it. A decent waiter would not have tried to serve it.

Too many kids to enjoy the pool, exercise equipment or recreational areas.

• Stayed: January 2006
1  Thank Jim23336
Reviewed December 29, 2005

My sister and I just returned from a 3-day spa vacation at the Hyatt. We got the spa package and left home with high expectations for total relaxation and comfort. Unfortunately, we found this experience to be very mediocre and it fell short of nearly all our expectations.

THE ROOM:
The first stop was the room. The room was just OK. We had a water-view room and the view was very pretty but we didn’t like the room well enough to stay in it and enjoy the view. The soft towels, in-room thermostat (our room was about the only place in the resort that wasn’t cold) and in-room safe were nice, but the room itself was nothing special. The bathroom is advertised as having a marble bath, but the tub is porcelain, not marble. The small bathroom didn’t have a fan so it was hard to get the steam off the mirrors after showers. The beds were hard as rocks and we were left with sore necks and backs in spite of our spa visits.

RESORT GROUNDS/AMBIENCE:
We found the resort décor to be very ugly and the furniture to be very uncomfortable. I guess we should have paid more attention to the online pictures. Since it was very cold, windy and sometimes rainy outside we were looking for a cozy and warm place to curl up and read a book. This task proved to be very difficult. The public areas of the resort were very chilly and none of the fireplaces were used during the day. We asked the front desk if we could have the fireplaces turned on and they told us they would only turn on the fireplaces in the library after 3pm and that they never turned on the gas fireplaces – which were located in various side areas in the resort. When we asked why they said they didn’t know and that there had been some “memo”. A nearby maintenance worker commented he would ask his boss. Later, after we talked to the concierge about the issue, she commented that she was also freezing and told us they were supposed to turn on the fireplaces upon request. After much complaining we finally got a single gas fireplace turned on and we sat and read a book for a while which was more relaxing.

The resort is VERY family oriented and there were kids everywhere. Except for the room there was no quiet place in the resort. Even after we got the fireplace turned on, 4 of the hotel staff stood a couple of feet away and carried on in loud conversation for 10 minutes while we struggled to read. One evening we sat in front of the fireplace in the library. A server stopped and asked us if we wanted anything and I asked her if we could have a couple of minutes. She agreed but never came back.

THE SPA:
The spa was equally disappointing. It was VERY expensive and, like the rest of the resort, was uncomfortable. The “relaxation” room is full of what look like patio chairs with pads and nowhere to prop up your feet. The chairs and the floors also looked dirty and stained. The most (and only) comfortable chairs in the spa were outside of the relaxation room in the locker area right outside of the sauna and showers. These chairs were quite comfortable and we chose to relax on those in spite of the sound of blowing hair dryers and a loud banging noise that seemed to be coming from the broken steam room. We stayed until we couldn’t take the banging anymore because it was more comfortable and warmer than anywhere else in the resort. The spa robes were very warm and cozy and there were plenty of toiletries like razors, combs, hair bands, etc.

We both got a massage and a facial. We paid $115 for a Swedish, no pressure massage that they term a “soothing” massage. Neither of us was very happy with our massages. My massage therapist put so much oil on my body that I felt slimy and disgusting throughout the massage. I asked her to use less oil, which she did for one arm and then went back to pouring it on. The massage rooms were VERY bright, with large windows and window coverings that don’t block much light. They put an eye pillow on my eyes while I was facing up but after the massage was over and the eye pillow came off, it was very difficult to adjust to the bright room. Even though the beds were not heated, we were both much happier with our facials and found them to be very relaxing. Overall, the spa was EXTREMELY OVERPRICED. I have experienced MUCH warmer, cozier, more beautiful, relaxing spas and paid much less money for much better massages. Since this was my first facial, I can’t really compare it to anything else.

BEAUTY SALON:
We also received the deluxe spa manicure from the Beauty Salon – which is separate from the spa. The manicure was VERY expensive but we enjoyed our time in the salon and found it to be one of our more enjoyable experiences. The manicure included a massage, an exfoliating treatment and a paraffin hand dip. The women in the salon were very friendly and took good care of us.

RESTAURANTS/FOOD:
Our first night we ate dinner at the Blue Point Provision. It was very expensive for the experience. My sister got a shrimp Caesar salad which she thought was comparable to one she might get at Captain D’s and a Blue Point Passion drink which she thought was excellent. I ordered a shrimp dish with jasmine rice, which was good but very small. I really enjoyed the rice and the sauce that came on it, but the shrimp were very bitter and I didn’t even eat all of them. We had lunch and breakfast at the Water’s Edge Grill. It was very non-impressive, but expensive. The décor matched the rest of the hotel and was visually unappealing. We cancelled our dinner reservations at the grill and instead ventured out of the resort to the Suicide Bridge Restaurant and it was nothing short of excellent. It was some of the best shrimp and crab I’ve had and also the best mashed potatoes I’ve ever had. The cost was about the same as Blue Point, but worth every cent.

GYM/GAMEROOM/POOL:
The pool area was beautiful, but the indoor temperature was just too cold to get into our bathing suits. The gym was well equipped and the gameroom was fun with ping pong being our favorite.

SUMMARY:
Overall, it seems like a decent place for people with kids but not at all for quiet, relaxing getaway for adults without children. We thought we were in for a luxury vacation and it was a far cry from luxurious. We will not be returning.

• Stayed: December 2005
13  Thank mmm455
Reviewed December 27, 2005

We just returned from a 3 day/2 night visit to the Chesapeake Hyatt in Cambridge. It was myself, my husband and our 9 year old daughter. Our 19 year old son had to work and didn't attend with us. We arrived around noon on December 24. Check in was uneventful and we were in Michener's Library by 1 pm to watch the Redskins/Giants game and have some lunch. My daughter and I had spa appointments at 2 pm so we were anxious to have some lunch before then. We sat for a bit and no one approached us to take an order. So then we actually began to look for someone to take an order. There was no one. By the time 2 pm came we still had not found anyone to take a food/drink order. My husband went to the front desk and their response was "there should be someone down there." Well, DUH! So off to the spa we went with our tummies rumbling!

The spa was lovely but VERY EXPENSIVE! At home I am able to get my 9 year old a "kid's" manicure and pedicure for about $20 total and she's thrilled. At the hotel her pedicure was $45 and her manicure was $20. It was pricey but very relaxing and nice for us to experience together.

So then it was back to Michener's Library where the Redskins were beating the Giants and my husband was not too happy, LOL! But now I was getting cranky. There still was no one to take an order! We found someone and I ordered a bowl of chili ($8.95) which was delicious. Hubby and daughter both had chicken tenders and fries from the kids menu. Very large portions, big enough for an adult.

After that we explored the hotel. Very beautiful public spaces. Lots of little areas with comfy couches and chairs and fireplaces. One had pool tables, one had a large puzzle for folks to work on. Great little places to curl up with a good book if you were kid-less! There's a corridor with two beautiful shops. One is a vast market called Bay Country Market. It has a Starbucks and lots of yummy food, both fresh and packaged. Also lots of cute knick-knacks, toiletries, wine, giftware, etc. This is also where you can buy your S'More fixings (more on that later.) Next to this Market is an Orvis store with fabulous clothing for men and women. Top of the line brands like Lilly Pulitzer and Vera Bradley. Also jewelry and accessories. I ended up buying a handbag and belt, both 70 percent off.

There is also a wonderful game room with ping pong, air hockey and several other nice table games, all complimentary. Also an arcade which we peeked at but didn't use.

The Winter Garden area is absolutely beautiful. A two-story atrium overlooks a huge gorgeous indoor pool with lots of lounge chairs and greenery and windows. There's a nice sized indoor hot tub which connects to the outdoor hot tub which you access by dunking under a little wall. The out door hot tub was very pleasant in December. The air temp in the indoor pool area was a little too chilly for us though, so bring a coverup to wear. There is also a little window where you can order drinks, sandwiches or salads. Bring your own floats and noodles, they only offer some for sale not to use while a guest at the hotel which we found odd for a "luxury" hotel.

So after the pool we were told a fire was to be lit at 6 pm in a large outdoor fireplace which was surrounded by rocking chairs and there would be S'Mores. We went out but discovered that while the hotel provided the fire and the sticks, we had to go to the market to buy our own S'More fixings! Each bag costs $5 and contains 8 graham crackers, 10 marshmallows and 1 Hershey Bar. We bought them of course but next time will bring our own from home! We felt like we were nickel and dimed at every turn for such a "luxury" resort. Would it really break the bank for them to provide graham crackers and marshmallows??? That would have been a lovely amenity.

We were not hungry at dinnertime and hung out at the pool. When we returned to the room we decided to order room service. Three cheeseburger platters with fries and 3 milkshakes (all from the kid's menu!), total was $43. The cheeseburgers were thick and good, we all agreed the milkshakes were probably the worst we had ever had in our lives, no apparent presence of milk or ice cream in them.

By the way, the room was very nice. Nothing super special, but very nice. We had a "resort" view which was of the front of the hotel, no water in sight. A refrigerator and microwave, but no VCR or DVD player.

The next day we had breakfast at the Water's Edge Grill. A nice buffet with a good selection of breakfast foods. Eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, french toast, oatmeal with toppings, bagels, smoked salmon, a few pastries, delicious fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, juices and coffee. Also made to order omelettes. The buffet is $17.95 for adults and half price for kids 12 and under.

The day was rainy so we couldn't play miniature golf or hike the grounds as planned so we went to the movies in town. Then more time at the pool and game room. Dinner at Blue Point Provision on the grounds, about a 10 minute walk down to the marina. The food once again was expensive but wonderful. Also good drinks (I had a Blue Point Passion and my husband had an adult version of Orange Crush). We shared clam strips, chowder, fish and chips and crab cake sandwich. All delicious. My daughter got a nice platter from the kid's menu with chicken breasts and rice and tomatoes.

All in all, we would definitely go back but we would do things a little differently. We would bring a few bottle of wine to keep in the fridge in the room and probably some snacks for the room in addition to pool floats and s'more fixings! The biggest disappointment about the hotel was the indifferent attitude of the hotel personnel. It could've been the "B team" because of the holiday, but a hotel/resort is only as good as the people it provides to meet your needs and this resort had many "young-ish" (early to mid-20's I'm guessing) people who did not appear to have been trained properly and didn't seem to care about meeting our needs, and we are very low-maintenance guests! There were exceptions of course.

Additionally, a visit in December will obviously be different than a warm-weather visit. The grounds look beautiful, even in the winter, and we are looking forward to having the opportunity to explore further next time.

• Stayed: December 2005
11  Thank swimmom20878
A TripAdvisor Member
Philadelphia Suburbs, PA
Reviewed November 27, 2005

We stayed at the Hyatt Chesapeake over Thanksgiving and had a wonderful time!
I found a terrific rate ($99 a night!) on TravelZoo at the last minute and we decided to take advantage of it. It was an incredible bargain for this hotel.

We stayed three nights and could have stayed longer. I was worried about visiting during the off-season, but we never ran out of things to do. We golfed, biked (Blackwater Paddle and Pedal was VERY accomodating about renting us bikes on Thanksgiving morning), swam, and just relaxed. The indoor pool is not an afterthought at this resort, the "Winter Garden" has a huge pool in a gorgeous two story atrium overlooking the river.

We had Thanksgiving dinner at the Robert Morris Inn in Oxford and the next day took the ferry to St. Michael's for Black Friday shopping.

The resort is on the outskirts of Cambridge. I had pictured a more secluded, rural location. Turned out the entrance to the resort is across the street from the Wal-Mart on a stretch of Rt 50 loaded with strip malls and chain stores. But, once you enter the driveway of the Hyatt, it's a different story. The grounds are beautiful and expansive. And, the built up area just outside the resort entrance is really not very big..if you go a mile or so in any direction you're back out in the country. We went on a 15 mile bike ride (through the Blackwater Wildlife Refuge and environs) and barely passed a dozen cars.

The only warning I'd sound is that the hotel is very family friendly. If you'd like a getaway away from kids, this isn't the place. However, it's a large resort and I think you could avoid toddler contact without too much effort.

• Stayed: November 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Oxford Inn
Oxford Inn
#1 of 1 in Oxford
Days Inn & Suites Cambridge

Been to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina? Share your experiences!