Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
$102
$98
Comfort Inn And Suites(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
$128
$91
$76
Hotels.com
$65
Oxford Inn(Oxford)(Great Value!)
$110
$63
Hampton Inn Easton(Easton)(Great Value!)
$158
$145
Hampton.com
$72
Tidewater Inn(Easton)(Great Value!)
$159
$154
Travelocity
Quality Inn Easton(Easton)(Great Value!)
$94
2,493 results
All reviewsindoor poolwaters edgewater viewblue pointmini golfchesapeake bayair hockeychoptank riverbeach volleyballping pongeastern shorebeautiful propertyfire pithot tublong weekendromantic getawayoutdoor activities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 16, 2009

The layout, architecture and appointments are beautiful and well matched to the local area. Every single staff member we encounter was very nice and tried to please us, give us directions, whatever we needed. The food was pretty good, and this was a surprise.

There were a few communication problems with some of the immigrant staff, but this should not be a serious concern. The biggest specific problem was the TV/movie/entertainment/online checkout system. It is new and simply doesn't work and they couldn't make it work. Apparently it has been a problem since it was installed recently. Let's assume they will work it out soon. You had better give them a call about it before booking your reservations.

The biggest general problem was costs. It's a resort, but it is a little pricey. Probably just a fair deal. Nevertheless we had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband and I spent Friday evening through Monday of Presidents' Day weekend at the Chesapeake Bay Hyatt. I am, in fact writing this from the Regency Club on the morning of our departure. We almost didn't book here due to the most recent negative reviews on Trip Advisor, and felt that we had to encourage other travelers that might otherwise be dissuaded from a top notch destination.
The resort is beautiful, from the lovely grounds to the wide open views of the river from the lobby and Michener's Library. We were most impressed by the thoughtfulness of design...nooks with fireplaces and seating areas for those seeking quiet, an outdoor fireplace in the winter with a humongous chess and checker board, night time movies at the pool area, special times at the pool and hot tubs for adults only, walking paths, golf, miniature golf, tennis and basketball,....on and on. I cannot imagine how anyone could slam the resort like they did. We were without our kids,had a wonderful weekend, and are trying to figure out a way to bring our multi generational family down for a long weekend.

Be aware that ,as at most resorts, food and drinks are very expensive. Some planning ahead should help. The rooms have refrigerators, and there is a WalMart right across the street. That should knock out breakfast and even lunch for families looking to watch their dollars.
The town of Cambridge is nearby, and we would definitely recommend the hour drive to Annapolis. The town of St. Michael's is also close...quaint, but a bit sleepy. It does have an impressive Maritime Museum.
We are from New Jersey and didn't want to travel too far from home this weekend. We are thrilled that we discovered this gem of a resort and are only sorry that we didn't know of it sooner. We have traveled extensively and consider this one of the nicest getaways we have experienced.

• Stayed: February 2009
3  Thank dperryNewJersey
Reviewed February 10, 2009

I am a local Marylander who wanted a quick family getaway for the weekend. The Hyatt offers a big indoor swimming pool and a nice game room with ping pong tables, shuffle board and air hockey, they also allow us to bring our dog for a $50 fee. (which they do not list on there web site)
We had a wonderful time. My children ages 8 love the pool and being able to watch a movie while swimming was a plus.
Since I had been to this Hyatt before I new it is not worth anything over $200 during the off season, in saying that , some of the negative reviews are right. My room was nice, but had a smokey smell, the remote for the T.V did not work, the patio had cigarette butts, and broken beer bottles on the ground. and the tackiest thing I thought this hotel did when you arrive to your room is welcome you with a bottle of water for a $5.00 fee. Hey come on even some of the Hampton's give out free water.
The beds were very firm, and seem of good quality, but I did not paticularly care for them. I felt the hotel should have queen beds instead of doubles. The food is still below average, except for the kids meal. I would recommend finding dining outside the property.
They put way to much clorine in the pool...my girls hair was like straw when the came out, and my one daughters face and legs were red and irritated, they did not have proper supplies like shampoo in the girls shower room. Since we got a rate below 135.00. I felt these things were not a major issue for us having a good time, though it would be if I was paying some of those higher rates, basically it would not be acceptable.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank TroseM
Reviewed February 9, 2009

It was my honeymoon & I called to book a romantic getaway for my new husband and I - starting off with the reservations clerk I got on the phone, she was rude & arrogant, and was utterly unhelpful in any respect. We did stay for 2 days after our wedding at this hotel, and it was THE WORST experience of our life. The help was rude and unhappy, sarcastic and unhelpful. They apparently only hire workers at min wage from places like India & Pakistan. Language barriers galore. Food was WAY over priced in their restaurants and room service - some of it was cold when arriving - amateur presentation and taste left much to be desired. Our room was run down & looked as if it had not been re-done since this hotel opened many years ago. Paint chips, wall scrapes, musty smell, holes in carpet, Heater did not work properly in our room, maintenance said heater was older than dirt but hotel was too cheap to replace it. Also our closet door fell right off its hinges. Toilets stopped up with just the slightest bit of tissue paper. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE rooms, service, food and WAY WAY WAY OVERPRICED. Never stay in this dump or you will be sorry you did so.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Piper_3434
Managementchesa, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2009

The Hyatt Chesapeake Bay truly regrets any dissatisfaction at your first experience at our resort. We strive to provide not only satisfactory customer service, but superior service. You can be sure that we already have reviewed these complaints (which are truly rarely expressed) with the appropriate staff, and have taken strides to ensure that remedies have been put into place.

Reviewed February 8, 2009

I accompanied my husband on an overnight business trip which required him to stay at the Hyatt Regency in Cambridge, MD. The room was paid for by his company, and we were both excited to be able to have the Hyatt experience on someone else's dime.
The grounds of the Hyatt are impressive and carefully designed to portray an atmosphere of pure "Eastern Shore-ness," which I'm sure tourists to the area find charming. The hotel compound sits along the Choptank River, and guests must follow a narrow road through the area's trademark wetlands (i.e. swamp) to get to the hotel, but not before traversing a very rickety, run-down, and poorly maintained-looking wooden bridge with several signs posted along its course warning of danger during icy conditions. The bridge is extremely weather-beaten and the wood is mossy and warped in many places. It makes you wonder why someone would build a multi-million dollar complex yet choose to give such a poor first impression to arriving guests.
The hotel does provide valet service, but we chose to park ourselves and walk to the hotel. The walking path from the guest parking lot quickly turns from paved sidewalk to a rustic path of crushed oyster shells, which I'm sure tourists think is quaint, but natives to the area know that there is an abundance of crushed oyster shells that the seafood companies can not get rid of fast enough, therefore making it the cheapest means of covering a path. It is also extremely difficult to traverse if you are transporting luggage with wheels or wearing heels.
The staff we encountered were very efficient and courteous, and we experienced no problems whatsoever with customer service. However, the front desk staff all wear name tags with their name and their country of origin, which I'm sure is supposed to be some statement about diversity, but which comes across as exploitative and gimmicky in a very "It's a Small World After All" kind of way.
The hotel and its grounds are so big that you are given a map upon check-in so you can find your way around. We were given a review of the restaurants and bars in the hotel, but the ones for casual (i.e. less expensive) dining were closed for various reasons.
The room itself was nice enough--it seemed clean and we were given one with a king-sized bed, a small balcony with two chairs, and a view of a townhouse and a small swatch of the river.
And that's all we got.
Bottles of water available were labelled at $5.00 a piece, and although the hotel is equipped with WiFi, you have to pay $9.99 for a day-pass to use it.
Unwilling to pay for Internet, I decided to visit Michener's Library, a bar and cozy hang-out area named after the local author. I sat at the extremely low-lit bar and ordered a Cape Cod, which was served to me filled to the brim with chunks of ice and a dessicated slice of lime. Although it was definitely top-shelf liquor, it was not worth the $7.50 I was charged.
I then went on to the event my husband was working, where I was invited to stay for dinner since there was a surplus. Never being one to turn down free food, I agreed. I was informed by his boss that the dinner cost them $64 a plate. A large plate of gourmet-looking bread was on each table, which turned out to be very dry and bland white bread. We were served a tiny "salad," comprised of some vegetation that looked, and I suspect tasted, like a spider plant, completely unmitigated by some other form of edible lettuce or other appealing salad vegetables. The appetizer was two tiny but delicious crab cakes. We were then served what I assume was a chicken breast, but which had some unidentifiable bone protruding from it, on top of mushroom polenta. I know that somehow polenta, traditionally a "peasant" dish, has become somewhat of a gourmet delicacy, but the reasons for why this is are beyond me, considering it is merely boiled corn meal. I have attended one other catered event at the Hyatt, which was equally disappointing. I don't know what cost $64, but it sure wasn't the quality of the meal.
Back in our hotel room after the event, we turned on the maybe 21-inch Panasonic television, discreetly housed in an armoire, the doors of which can not be opened fully. The TV was old and low-definition, which made for very poor and grainy reception. If you don't want to pay for movies or "just missed it" TV programs (available for $4.99), the channel options were scant and limited to a few standard national channels (Fox, NBC, ABC, etc.) and a few cable channels (USA, TBS, TNT, Court TV (?)). The remote control was also old and somewhat infuriating, as it didn't work properly.
Although superficially clean, once I decided to take a bath I found several long, black hairs on the floor (my hair is short and light brown) and several short, black hairs in the sink, and the faux-marble shower was streaked and speckled with soap scum.
While the Hyatt presents itself as high-class, true quality (or lack thereof) is in the details. The Hyatt obviously pinched its pennies in the areas that truly matter. If you don't mind over-paying for the allusion of quality, and have money to burn, this is the place for you. Be prepared to be nickel-and-dimed to death for things that other hotels provide for free (internet access), and to pay exhorbitant prices for mediocre food and drink.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank jem_pire78

The management and staff of the Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Resort appreciate the feedback of guests. We apologize for any dissatisfaction you may have found with the pricing of our amenities. Many operational and labor costs are factored into prices for food and other products and services, and is within guidelines for a Four Diamond rated destination. Although the resort is less than six years old, we are engaged in a multi-million dollar renovation that will be completed by mid-April. All our guest rooms, meeting space, dining rooms and lobby are being remodeled and enhanced to blend contemporary design with the comfortably casual, time-honored traditions of the Eastern Shore that attract so many guests from throughout the nation to our AAA Four-Diamond destination.