“Hyatt at Chesapeake Bay Dream Get-a-way!”

Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 6, 2008

Well my friends and I went to the Hyatt at Chesapeake Bay for a guys get-a-way golf weekend. We are all busy and tried to get there in peak season, but it worked out to be the last weekend in October. We were told the weather was still good, we were told right.

We arrived Thursday night and checked in, the desk personnel was awesome, bellmen took our bags and the check was smooth!

Got to the rooms and they were immaculate, we has a very spacious suite. We could really spread out and enjoy our selves.

For the next three days we played 36 holes a day, the course was awesome, in great shape and the weather cooperated.

The other amenities in the hotel were just as good, the fitness room, pool, Jacuzzi and especially the huge fireplace outside.

The food and service at the golf course was fantastic and we all bought some great merchandise to take home.

The other restaurants on the grounds were amazing as well. We never left the place!

We will return next year, maybe earlier in the season, but knowing us it may be the same time!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank dsestito
Write a ReviewReviews (2,412)

Reviewed October 27, 2008

Our second visit to this property - 5 years later and its ready for renovation - which is scheduled for this winter.

The room was nice, and the golf course was great. It was very quiet in late Sept - and the beach restaurant was closed so we ate in the hotel, and it was ok, but nothing special.

Overall, we had a good visit there, but the boat and beach facilities seem to be mostly shut down after the summer season, so golf was the primary option.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2008

We enjoyed our stay very much. The hotel public areas are generally very attractive, and the rooms are very nice and very clean. Great maid service. The grounds are well kept up. The golf is to die for. I can’t wait to get back to the 8th hole and show it who’s boss! Our big problem was that I have never have had such awful service for dining in any place I have ever stayed. For breakfast we waited 55 minutes to be served our food and then only after having asked our waiter several times and finally talking to the manager. The manager and waiter kept saying they had 15 people walk in at the same time in one party so that threw them off. Ahhh, I don’t think so. Large hotels such as this are prepared to serve as many people as they have tables for. The manager did not charge us for breakfast. But wait! That night we went into the charming Mitchner’s lounge for some wine and a little dinner which they serve there. We ordered nachos. We waited 55 minutes to be served NACHOS (give me a break…how hard can that be?)and then only after having asked our waiter several times and finally talking to the manager. Does this sound familiar? I kept asking the manager what the problem was with the food service in general; he had no explanation…couldn’t be 15 people all ordering nachos at once! He, too, did not charge us. Such gestures go a long way in making you feel that you are in a good hotel…but, let’s be honest, a lovely week-end waiting to eat can make you grumpy!

Would I go back again? In a heart-beat…I’ll just pack a very large lunch-basket. Surely they’ll get their service under control. Besides, there is that 8th hole….

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Virginia S
Reviewed September 19, 2008

I just got back from here, stayed two nights for a work meeting. It's a nice property, the rooms were good size and some probably had great views (I looked out on the driveway and front of the hotel, not the water). The food at the dinner we had was very good, lunch at the golf course restaurant was only OK. The prices for food and drink seemed reasonable, which is nice since you are sort of stuck there without a car (I didn't have a car). The golf course was nice, there are some pretty long carries and if you're not accurate (which I wasn't) you can find a lot of trouble or just lose your ball. We played in 4 hours, wasn't crowded at all which was nice. All and all it's a nice place, and not that hard to get to if you don't have a car (I live in NYC so I don't). I took Amtrak to BWI and then Amtrak has an arrangement with a shuttle company, Bay Runner I believe, that picks you up at the train station and one stop is right at the hotel. Worked very well.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2008

Using our Hyatt points, we spent two nights at the Hyatt Resort in Cambridge,MD. The hotel is lovely. Lobby has clean nautical theme and the rooms are very comfy. I have always preferred the Hyatt rooms. Beyond that, there were some problems. We went there to play golf and there was some confusion with the tee time we had reserved through the hotel's e-concierge. I think the problem is that the golf course and the hotel computers do not "talk" to each other. As for the course, (Non-golfers may move to next paragraph.) The course is nice; more of a links style and the setting is very rural and lovely. The problem is that you can hear major traffic noise from many of the holes and it really spoils the beauty. Having said that, we did enjoy playing

I cannot recommend the "Blue Point Provision" restaurant which is on the property. Service was very slow and the food was quite average or below. DH's steak was ok, but my Barramundi (flown in from Australia, they said) could have been some sole or talapia from the local supermarket. It was so dry and overcooked. Lunch at the restaurant in the hotel was good but again, slow service.

It was a quiet good time,but we were glad we hadn't paid for the room.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2008

We stayed here for our Anniversary. I wanted someplace really nice, and this one looked good. It was VERY expensive,and for what we got, I was surprised. The room really wasn't anything fancy, and the TV was even really old. Not even a LCD or Plasma, so I was a little disappointed there.

The restaurants were EXPENSIVE! For the food, not worth it. We drove up to Easton and had a much better dinner for the same price.

The staff was ok. Seemed to be a lot of imported workers from the Ukraine, which is ok with me, but they were not any more attentive than at a Dennys. We even had to flag someone down at breakfast because we couldn't get them to serve us. Then we had to find her again to get the check.

For the price we paid - I would not go again, but it was nice to get away.

The spa was fantastic, but also 2x the price I would have paid back home.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2008

My family just returned from 5 days at this resort. The property was very nice - a rookery with walking trails, basketball/tennis courts, pools, biking paths, a marina, etc. Check-in went well and we were allowed to check into our room a little bit early. Our first problem was when we went to the pool area. The pools are ICE COLD. As it turns out, the outdoor pools are not heated and the indoor pool did not seem to be either, despite the insistence of the Recreation Manager that it was above 80 degrees. After making many complaints about the pool temperature, it was only resolved on our fifth day at the resort (the day we were leaving), which happened to be Labor Day Weekend when the hotel was packed. It seemed to us that the hotel was trying to cut expenses by leaving the heater off when the hotel was not booked to capacity. In any event, this put a real damper on our family trip to the resort that we made to use the nice pools.

The food served at the pool was just O.K. They have the standard kids meal fare, but adult choices were limited and the food did not seem to be fresh. A better option is to go to the store in the Lobby and purchase food.

Since most of our stay occured mid-week, the hotel was not very crowded and that was nice - no problems with seating at the cold pools. On Saturday (when we were checking out), it was horrible. The place was packed with kids and dogs. I have never seen dogs sitting at a hotel pool before - very strange. And I actually like dogs. The pool area was very overcrowded. It was like we were at a completely different resort than we had been at for the rest of our stay.

The marina area is very nice. My family enjoyed renting fishing poles and fishing off the pier. The restaurant near the marina was very good, as well.

On our second night at the resort, there was a fire alarm at 3:00am and everyone had to leave the hotel until the alarm was cleared. Apparently somebody pulled a fire alarm. The stay outside in the light rain was not very long, but it certainly interrupted our sleep and caused my children a lot of anxiety about a potential hotel fire and what might happen.

The large fireplace is lit every night for kids to make smores. This is a nice touch, but it does seem to get crowded around the fire. One night when we were making smores, a young boy (around 10) started screaming in my ear and making wierd movements. When my husband said something to him, he was extremely disrespectful and then ran away. My husband complained to the indoor pool staff, who said they knew the boy and would take care of it. Later that evening, we ran into the boy and his parents while walking to the restaurant near the marina. We spoke to his parents, who half-heartedly made him apologize and sent him home. Apparently, he lives on/near the resort. The next day, he was once again at the resort causing trouble (riding his waveboard around the indoor pool and hanging out with the lifeguards). I noticed a senior member of the Hyatt staff speaking to him and he left the area. It did not deter him from staying on the property, though. Him and his friends stayed around all day. The Hyatt needs to do a better job of keeping non-guests off of the property.

The Blackwater Nature Preserve was a nice side trip. It was not far and worth a visit if you are interested in seeing Bald Eagles and other animals.

The rooms were a nice size. The balconies on most rooms are standing room only, but the views are nice. Housekeeping did a good job and the bell staff was extremely prompt.

Overall, my kids loved the resort, except for the fact that the pools were too cold. There was a lot for them to do, even in the rain. They loved the Regency Club (it was nice, but often very crowded and did not have the same amount of food/snacks that other Regency Clubs have, but it served the purpose). They enjoyed making smores and playing basketball and beach volleyball and walking around the rookery. While we had an O.K. time, I would probably not return to this resort. For the price paid, I would prefer to go to a resort where the pools are heated. If you can get a good price and the pools aren't your main focus, by all means I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
St. Michaels Inn
St. Michaels Inn
#3 of 4 in St. Michaels
Days Inn & Suites Cambridge

Been to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina? Share your experiences!