“An all-around fantastic family resort”

Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 24, 2013

When you live on the east coast, it is difficult to find a family resort without traveling to Florida or Caribbean. Imagine our surprise when we found the Hyatt Chesapeake. Here are the reasons why I loved it:
1. Friendly staff
2. Clean rooms
3. Balcony rooms
4. S'mores every night
5. 3 pools: the kids pool has a waterslide, the adult pool is an infinity pool and there is a really nice indoor pool.
6. Ice Cream happy hour in the hotel store.
7. Big game room
8. A very nice gym - not that I used it.
9. Camp Hyatt so the parents can have some alone time.
10. mini-golf
11. bike rentals
12. jet ski rentals
13. volleyball
14. tennis
15. great pool side drinks for mom and dad.
16. pool side relay race, bingo, red light/green light games done by the pool staff
17. If you have older children (11, 12 etc) they have the freedom to walk around the hotel and use the indoor pool at night. You can feel safe and the kids feel like they have freedom.
18. There are many places to visit outside of the hotel
19. The guests are extremely friendly and want to get to know other people.
20. Delicious buffet breakfast.

We stayed when the hotel had a deal where you stay two nights and get the third for free along with free breakfast.

1  Thank NickyNewark
Write a ReviewReviews (2,451)

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Our family stays at the Hyatt every year. We just visited this past weekend and had a great time once again. We took advantage of all of the many activities available for families, which kept us very busy. Our kids love the pools, mini golf, volleyball, tennis, game room and the workout facility. The staff do a great job entertaining children, with hourly activities such as tug of war and cannonball contests. Evan the lifeguard made our time at the pool very fun.

Our room was very nice, with a view of the water and a sit out balcony. It was extremely spacious even though it wasn't a suite.

If you choose to stay here, do be aware that the fees are very expensive, from the room rates, to restaurants, and even the daily resort fee. We are not impressed with the restaurants that are on site. We have found other restaurants in Cambridge that are much better, such as High Spot, so don't be afraid to dine in town. Also, I was shocked to see so many dogs walking around the hotel. Apparently there is a wing for guests with dogs, which is fine, but I don't want to see them in the lobby and bar since I am allergic to dogs!

But overall, we look forward to our stays at the Hyatt and this past weekend was no exception. We had an awesome time!

Room Tip: Ask for water view.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at this resort for 3 days last week and loved it! While I was there on business and they did a great job, I could definitely see coming back here with my family. There are so many activities at this property. Yes the golf and spa are great and I had a chance to see both. The grounds, pools, beach, mini golf, sand volleyball, gaint chess board and game room were awesome. They have a water slide, two fire pits for smores and a beautiful nature hike with amazing views of the river.

The service was wonderful and the staff there really get it! I woudl highly recommend this resort for a high end conference, corporate retreat or family get-away.

Great job to the GM and his entire staff. Thank you!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the River, corner kings have larger balconies.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had a fantastic stay at Hyatt Chesapeake Bay Resort!! But here are a few tips to make sure you have a great time like I did...

1. Be prepared to pay lots of $$$$$ on everything!! The only thing included in ur stay is ur room and use of the pools + sport courts. The food was absolutely DELICIOUS in all the resturants... but... everything is really expensive our group of 6 paid well over $200 at most meals. If you have am adventerous side or your kids want to do some watersports they are available but not included. I just handed over the credit card and tried to not let my vacation be ruimed by the thought of how much everything costs..

2. Spa is great, just book your appointment far in advanced (a day or two before, depending on how long ur stay is)

3. If you are traveling with Teens, your best bet is to either let them bring a friend or get a group with some of their friends and friends parents to go. There was a ton for little kids to enjoy as well as adults over 21 but if you have active teenagers they may need some friends to keep them busy. The teens in my small group really only had water sports during the day but at night many areas are restricted (only 21 and over) or provide only activities for little kids.

4. Dog wing of hotel is great!! The hallway smells like wet dog.. but they managed to amaze me by keeping the room smelling as if no dog had ever stepped food inside the door!! Plus the dog area is on the ground level with very easy access to the main lobby and cafe area

5. All the food I ate was absolutely delicious (despite its high price) but I have to stear you away from ordering crab cakes.. they were NOT good.. they made a big deal about an award they won for their crabcakes but I have had much better!! The blue point has the best fish and chips ever and a delicious chocolate lovin cake that is worth trying! The waters edge had a lot of good meals too and ee ate breakfast and dinner there on most days because of its convenience (and the food was great!)

This was a great resort with nicely appointed spacious rooms, incredible views, and 3 attractive pool areas! (a beautiful relaxation pool, a 'family fun pool with slide, and an indoor pool for those bad weather days or those just looking to escape the sun) I would definitely recomend it to anyone and will be back sometime within the next year or two! Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank willistheman
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My last trip here was much better than this one. The cleanliness of the room was only so-so this time. No bed bugs, but wow, was I getting eaten alive by SOMETHING in our room! Huge, itchy welts. Yuck.

The housekeeping service was not very good. They never vacuumed in the several nights we were there, which meant there was a build up of sand and crumbs (we ordered room service, so did manage to drop a few, and there's no avoiding tracking in sand when you are on the beach). One of the days, they only made one of our two beds. I can't imagine why -- must have just gotten distracted and forgotten the other one. And they did nothing to tidy up the place. Just made the beds (if they remembered) and gave you fresh towels. That's really fine -- but I guess I've been spoiled by other resorts in recent trips.

The food by the pool was acceptable, but overpriced. A $9 hot dog? Come on. But it was actually better than the restaurant inside the hotel, Water's Edge. The food there was just plain bad. I would rather go to the nearby Subway than eat there again.

The margaritas by the pool are a 10 though. Really excellent. And it's much easier paying $9 for a hot dog after a nice margarita, you know.

I HATE, yes, HATE the sinks in their rooms. They have some kind of filter on them that makes it impossible to not squirt water all over your sink and yourself when you wash your hands. I understand they are trying to cut back on water use, but there are better filters out there. And guests end up using twice as much water trying to rinse their hands just because most of the water ends up all over the place.

The front desk staff was very nice.

BEWARE of one thing -- if you get a room with two double beds -- just remember that "double" bed is the same as what most people call "full" size beds. So they are just one step up from twin size. They were tiny for us and impossible to share if you are used to a king or queen. That made the stay miserable for us, but that's our own fault. Most rooms in resorts like this have two queen size beds, so I didn't even give it a second glance when I booked it.

The pools are nice and so is the setting. I think the disappointment (aside from housekeeping, bug bites, and bad food) was that we spent more time actually in Cambridge this time, as opposed to last time when we did some shopping in Easton (see my other review). There's really not much to see in Cambridge or even eat. We tried to have lunch at a place called Mantra, drove out there, but then discovered when we arrived that it's closed for lunch. And since the restaurants in the Hyatt leave much to be desired, it kind of made for a lackluster trip.

We'll probably go back again, but with fewer expectations this time. I'd still recommend it to someone who is nearby, but it's not worth a long trip, in my opinion.

Room Tip: Watch out for the "double" beds. They are the same as full size -- smaller than queen siz...
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We have been coming to the Hyatt Chesapeake for a few years now and are never disappointed. We stay in the River Marsh Marina and use the hotel amenities. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. It is a great spot for a quick getaway with one of the best views of the bay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The hotel was very pretty, clean and we were surprised by how much there was to do. The room was nice, the staff friendly and the property was beautiful - right on the water. We enjoyed the pool, mini golf and frozen drinks. We had planned on spending the short time we were in the area touring Annapolis, but unfortunately, I was feeling a little sick. Between that and the extreme heat/humidity that day, we decided to stay on property and we had a great day.

I have just a couple of complaints. We stayed here just before Memorial Day weekend so they were just kicking off their summer season and had a lot of new summer staff. You could tell who the newbies were and it was a little annoying that they didn't seem too eager to please. Saw a lot of standing around when the pool area and lounges could have used some clean up (leaves, webs, etc.). It wasn't terrible by any means, but more of a note for hotel staff that attention to detail matters. Just a small thing.

My only big complaint was the restaurant, Water's Edge Grill. My food was not good. It was very bland and not cooked properly at all. When my fish arrived, it was burnt to the point where I thought maybe I misread the description and it was supposed to be blackened. When I got up to go to look at the menu in the front to see if that was the case, the chef noticed me walking by with an unhappy look at my face and shouted "follow her" to the nearby waitress! The restaurant was empty so I could hear him very clearly. I found that completely unprofessional! My husband was still seated so it's not like they thought I was walking out without paying. I wound up sending the food back and not bothering eating that night because I didn't expect anything else better. At least they were kind enough to take my entree off the bill.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
#3 of 4 in St. Michaels
Hampton Inn Easton
Hampton Inn Easton
#2 of 9 in Easton

Been to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina? Share your experiences!