I agree with other reviews about the beautiful resort, excellent facilities, friendly staff, and grounds. It was perfect for an out of season weekend getaway to explore the Chesapeake area, including a must see trip to the Blackwater National Wildlife Preserve, about a 20 minute drive away.
I judge institutions not on that things occasionally go wrong, because things inevitably do, but how they respond to issues. The fire alarm went off at 4:30 AM (reportedly, a prankster pulled it), and the whole situation was handled very poorly. If there had really been a fire, I'm sure that the story would not have had a good ending. There were no resort staff in evidence anywhere to coordinate guests' movement at any point that I could see. We spent 15 minutes in the main stairwell trying to descend because of bottlenecks at the bottom where guests were stopping at the lobby level, reluctant to go outside. Exit doors at every floor were open with people spilling in from crowded hallways, ensuring that if there was smoke that it would have filled the exit stairwells. Once we reached the bottom, people milled about and then finally one guest in a bathrobe made an announcement that the elevators were running and everyone surged back in, nearly knocking down one woman with a cane. In a previous hotel with a night-time fire alarm, there was a note under the door the next morning explaining what happened, but not from the Hyatt. We asked in the restaurant and were told in a rather snippy tone that someone had pulled the fire alarm, but the worker sounded more annoyed with having to talk about it than anything.
I'm hoping that this was just a bad night for them and that they did have a plan that just wasn't executed. Otherwise, it makes me reluctant to stay in a Hyatt. We are in a post-911 world and I would think that disaster planning and drills to practice for the staff would be in place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come experience the pampering luxury and picturesque landscape of Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa and Marina. Located on the beautiful Choptank River, Hyatt Chesapeake is a premier AAA Four Diamond resort that encompasses more than 342 acres. Our resort offers a wide range of fun recreational activities, including an 18-hole championship golf course, which received a 4 1/2 star rating (out of 5) from Golf Digest. Our acclaimed Sago Spa & Salon boasts 14 treatment rooms providing a complete range of signature Eastern Shore spa treatments. The River Marsh Marina has 150 full service slips that dock upto 150 ft yachts. Other amenities include two outdoor pools, a glass-enclosed Wintergarden pool, a state-of-the-art fitness center, private beach with boat/ kayak/Jet Ski rentals, wildlife preserve, four lighted tennis courts, and more.Regional seafood specialties and waterfront views are just two of the attractions at Hyatt Chesapeake's six restaurants and lounges. The property offers 400 luxurious guest rooms. In addition to step-out balconies with magnificent views, each room has 37" flat screen TVs and inviting leather armchairs with ottomans. Come enjoy this luxury waterfront destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia and Jetsetter so you can book your Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa And Marina
- Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina Hotel Cambridge
- Hyatt Regency Cambridge
- Hyatt Cambridge
- Hyatt Chesapeake Bay