“Beautiful Resort & Convenient for DMV residents”

Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 13, 2012

HR Chesapeake Bay was a pleasant surprise, although I was familiar with the resort itself -- the pictures on the site don't do this beautiful property justice! The views are breath-taking, especially off the dock overlooking the Chesapeake Bay. The 3 pools, including the infinity pool, was not only a sight to see - but a way for guests to enjoy the best of both worlds. The staff was extremely kind, and hospitable throughout my stay. An ideal resort for a weekend getaway, wedding, or just family time -- as they have an assortment of activities for everyone to enjoy. I will definitely be back soon!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Pallavi S
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina

Reviewed June 11, 2012

We stayed at this resort when my husband was participating in a triathlon, and we were very impressed with the service at this resort. Every staff member that we encountered was pleasant and helpful and many graciously took that extra step. On the morning of the triathlon, the coffee shop opened 2 hours early to accommodate the athletes. When we were sitting at breakfast, I commented to my daughter that I needed to find catsup and a passing waiter stopped and asked if he could get catsup for me - he wasn't even our waiter. This seemed to be the norm at the facility.

There are beautiful views from nearly every place in the resort, with a lovely infinty pool that compliments the landscape. We don't golf, but the course looked beautiful. Great family pool with water slide, indoor pool that has "dive in movies" in the evening, whirlpool, mini golf, water sports, and A game room with ping pong, foosball and air hockey. Definitely lots to do.

The spa is definitely worth a visit. We had massages - mine was wonderful, my husband rated his as "pretty good." There are nice areas to relax in the spa and there is a sauna and steam room, as well as fruit waters and teas. The locker rooms were really nice, very clean, and offered toiletries, brushes, hair dryers. You get the feeling that the spa is very focused on your comfort and convenience.

The rooms were nice. Not "over the top" luxury, but clean and well outfitted. There is complimentary coffee, tea and water in the room. The bathroom was nice, but had only a single sink. Would have been nice to have an extra sink. We also had just a standing balcony, which is a shame because the view was so beautiful. The beds are firm, but not hard. The furnishings are nice and everything worked well. Decent closet space, safe, hair dryer. There were also ample outlets on the desk for charging your electronics.

We travel quite a bit and I'd say our standards are high. This place did not disappoint. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: They host a number of weddings here, and we heard some guest complain about being in rooms near the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank TMRtraveler
Reviewed June 10, 2012

This hotel may be a golf haven, but it serves just as well for a family escape.
We stayed there in winter, so I can't comment on the water sports. But the hotel is extremely comfortable, with large rooms, great communal playing rooms and an excellent breakfast overlooking the ocean.
The grounds are huge, the indoor pool is great - especially the underwater connection to the giant hot tab outside. Sitting in near scalding bubbles while a little snow covers the area is great fun.

We can highly recommend this as a family retreat, for any season.

Room Tip: Get rooms with the balcony facing the sea, you'll get a great view in early morning and at sunse...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2012

A girl friend and I stayed last night at the hotel and a number of things stood out for us which prevent me from giving the experience more than 3 stars. Let's start with the positive:
1. The woman who checked us in was fantastic and made the process a pleasure. We received an upgraded room by joining their rewards program. Great job there!
2. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated with flat screen TV.
3. The view from our room overlooked the pool and the water - it was spectacular.
4. The woman who checked us in at the spa was awesome & gave us a tour of the spa. I wish I could remember her name.

Now for the not so great:
1. We dined at the Waters Edge restaurant last night. We waited 10 minutes at the hostess desk (hostess nowhere to be seen) before someone came to seat us. The restaurant was empty so that was strange.
2. All the waiters and waitresses are here for the summer from Europe and half of them do not speak English very well & the service is sadly very lacking. I'm not sure why in the current economic state of this country we are still handing out foreign work visas when we could be offering these jobs to the college students here who new them.
3. We went to the Sago spa, which has just had a million dollar renovation. It looks great. I had a massage, manicure and pedicure. The massage was great &y therapist was very personable. I was planning on tipping her handsomely for her good service. The mani & pedi however was lacking on many fronts. The polish selection was sparse to say the least. My nail technician never offered me a refreshment or even introduced yourself. I had to ask for a glass of water. The mani & pedi was ok. Not worth the $110.
4. Now for my biggest gripe. When it came time to pay my spa bill the lady checking me out did not ask if I was happy with my services. She did however run through the costs of each procedure and inform me of the service charge that was added for each service. Who are they to decide how I want to tip? I would have given less to the nail technician & more to the massage therapist. And another thing, when your staff know they are receiving this service fee regardless of the service then they are less likely to put in the effort to ensure you have the best possible spa experience. That's how I felt about all the ladies in the nail salon.

• Stayed: June 2012
7  Thank Spahawk
Reviewed June 8, 2012 via mobile

We had a great stay. The accommodations are nice and there is plenty to do for the entire family. The golf course is a typical resort course, really well kept and just a little to pricey. I recommend that you stay at the resort if you do visit. I only gave this 4 out of 5 because the wait staff is slow.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This is a great family hotel with good proximity to Washington, DC. Have attended multiple conferences here over the years, and brought kids on some. Rooms are bright, well appointed and clean and beds are good. Kids love the indoor-outdoor pool, and they have a popular kids program on weekends. We found it pretty easy to arrange for a local babysitter for one night. On-campus dining is pretty ordinary, you won't find anything too "special", but it's good enough. Inside is a little conferencey, and was disappointed that the bar seemed woefully understaffed to handle lots of patrons on Friday night of conference. Other nights were better. On-site golf course was easily accessable and reasonably priced.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We are fortunate enough to live within an hour's drive of this gorgeous property, and have been here for many events, but this is only our third overnight stay here - and the first with our dog, Nene.

We needed a hotel room in a hurry when we returned home to find we had a flood in the garage and no running water in the house. We called several local (Salisbury, MD) hotels, but none accepted pets. Even though it's about a bit of a drive from our home, we were very happy to find that the Hyatt Regency Chesapeake has 9 pet-friendly rooms and, very fortunately, had availability for us.

We arrived at 11 pm. I went it to check us in, while my husband, Gary, took care of the dog, luggage and car. He had to wait a minute or two for the bellman to arrive, but valeting the car and getting it unloaded were both done efficiently.

The lobby bar (one level down from the check-in area, but open to it) had a large, noisy group in house. No one was behind the front desk. A sign instructed us to 'ring bell for service.' A woman in line in front of me was ringing it. After five minutes or so, I noticed a kiosk to the left offering self check-in. I decided to give it a try, but in going through the process I found that there was no mention of the dog, and I wanted to be sure we had one of the pet-friendly rooms, (and also knew there would be a surcharge) so we decided to wait. It wasn't long before two young woman arrived to help us and the other guest waiting. It was hard to hear because of the lounge crowd below- even the clerks were complaining about it.

The rest of the check-in went smoothly - we asked for and got an upgrade to a water-view pet-friendly room on the bottom floor. Gary was waiting with the dog and bellman, who showed us down to the room. He was friendly enough, delivered our luggage to the areas we requested (including, bless him, our dog's over-sized, well-used bed), but when he asked us if we needed anything else and we asked him for ice, he hedged. It's ok - I knew it was late. Could he just tell us where we could find the ice ourselves? His response - "Y'know - if you call the front desk, they might be able to tell you. I really don't know."

In the morning, Gary easily found the dog walking trail and both he and the dog enjoyed the hike. Both came back panting and smiling.

We ordered room service for breakfast, as there are no pet-friendly restaurants on property and we didn't want to risk her barking and disturbing others. The delivery was quick and the food was prepared well. The cost was not overly exorbitant - very much in line with most other resort properties we've stayed at, much less than some.

Although we didn't utilize the majority of this property's amenities, we have had the pleasure of visiting it often in the past and we can heartily recommend the spa, have enjoyed most of the dining options (including a Starbucks off the lobby), the evening s'mores by the firepits, and both indoor and outdoor pool activities at one point or another.

Room Tip: Well worth an upgrade fee for a water-view room!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank KarenBrown_CBD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Inn at Perry Cabin by Belmond
Comfort Inn And Suites
Comfort Inn And Suites
#4 of 5 in Cambridge
Days Inn & Suites Cambridge

Been to Hyatt Regency Chesapeake Bay Golf Resort, Spa & Marina? Share your experiences!