“Overall good experience, but annoyed at parking fee”

Days Inn & Suites Cambridge
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed June 16, 2010

It was clean, comfy and reasonably quiet, with a decent breakfast (continental, including make your own waffles), and free wi-fi connection. Now...for the things that bothered me which might not be meaningful to you. A bit annoyed by their pricing. They show up cheap on travel websites, but when you search closer, it's smoking rooms. Cost me $5.40 more for a non-smoking king bed room, which seems backwards, doesn't it? I booked online anyway as it was still cheaper than Comfort Inn across the road. When I checked in, they added an extra $2 to the credit slip without explanation. I inquired about the discrepancy with my confirmed rate; it was...for parking. In a plain, asphalt lot! At a motel! Directly on a highway with no access other than by vehicle! My Days Inn confirmation said local Days Inns could charge extra for amenities, like safes or phone access, but since when is standard parking an amenity? I know it's just 2 bucks, but it seems so deceptive. Raise your rates if you want to squeeze an extra $2 out of people; at least we'd see it when we reserve a room. Once there, didn't have an option as I would have had to cancel 24 hours in advance to avoid being charged for the night. Leaves a bad taste with the visit. Plus, at breakfast, a loony mom said my wife and I were evil, and kept ordering me to keep away from her children though I was only trying to get some breakfast the same as her kids. I wasn't alone as she kept insulting the Days Inn employee trying to maintain the breakfast room, with threats that God was going to punish us, plus she was going to complain to management and her lawyer. My sympathies to the employee who gamely did her best, and I really felt sorry for her kids who never uttered a sound. I refused to leave the room and she kept muttering all the time we were there, which adversely affected digestion. Is this place a loony magnet? No manager on duty in the morning to complain to. So...in the basic stuff that matters most, it's a decent value, but these other things would cause me to explore other possibilities first.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chumley1217

Reviewed November 24, 2009

Booked into this Hotel by my company whilst on training. Room smelly and mould in the shower. Don't be taken in by the offer of breakfast, it cost more to buy it from the hotel in advance than if you go through to the restaurant in the morning and pay over the counter. The room was reasonable apart from the unpleasant smell.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank jonpsych
Reviewed October 4, 2009

We stayed last night. Rooms were clean, manager was friendly. Breakfast was marginal, but we filled up anyway. Room was quiet. I will stay again.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vickiPA
Reviewed August 15, 2009

If you're trying to save money and just want a clean, functional motel in the Cambridge area, I don't think you can do better. The rooms are tidy, the pool is small but nice and the location is handy. There's Wifi, and it works fine. I didn't encounter any of the staff rudeness that others mentioned, and I didn't have the bad continental breakfast experience that a previous reviewer had. There's a sort of fitness center, but it shares space with washing machines and dryers and was extremely hot when I was visiting, so I didn't use it. The rooms have small refrigerators, microwaves and coffee makers, so if you're extremely thrifty you can heat up and store your own food. As someone else mentioned, the water tastes terrible, so go with a lot of bottled water if you plan to make coffee or tea. There's a Food Lion nearby.
The Hyatt golf resort is right down the street, and you can play there without having to pay the Hyatt's steep room prices (when we were there, they were running $280 per night). Of course the golf is steep too, but at least you'll be saving money on lodging.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BillCollector
Reviewed January 7, 2009

The hotel itself was pretty nice and the pool decent as well. My only beef was with the people behind the desk, especially the night manager. She was extremely rude to me and even threatened to have me kicked out of the hotel when I disagreed with her treatment of one of my crew members. I have not stayed there since, and never will again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 1, 2008

Stayed here one night while passing through, and nothing else was available in town that met our needs. Rooms were fine, spacious and clean, everything worked well. But we took one look at the continental breakfast in the morning, and immediately opted for the diner across the road. I've yet to encounter such an unfriendly staff; checkout was handled without a single word to me, as the clerks did not take a break from their discussion with one another. I think we can do better.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2008

We stayed one night on a combination business/pleasure trip. Room was above average and clean. My complaint was the staff's attitude toward the continental breakfast. I'm an early riser and went down around 7:15--cereal, but no milk, 3 slices of bread, some muffins and a few recently defrosted donuts. Checked back about 1/2 later, much of the same. When I inquired about the milk (since cereal was one of the few choices), was informed 'she's picking some up.' Kept checking, no more food choices (they must have been putting out the bread a slice at a time), although I spotted bags of bagels in a cart in the hall which eventually disappeared. I felt really sorry for a family with small children who were there to attend a funeral and couldn't even give them anything but toast before the service. The milk arrived around 9:45, at which point the guy offered me some, but didn't put any out (until I shamed him into it), "because," he said, "people just waste it." It would have been better not to even offer this 'breakfast', so people would be forewarned and just go out since the hotel doesn't seem to want to put out the food...

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dragon3364
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Comfort Inn And Suites
#2 of 9 in Easton
St. Michaels Inn
St. Michaels Inn
#3 of 4 in St. Michaels

Been to Days Inn & Suites Cambridge? Share your experiences!