“A vary plesent experience.”

Holiday Inn Express Cambridge
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I received surpurb service from Korina. She was vary nice n helpful though out my whole stay. Korina adviced me where to find good local resterants, answered all my questions and explained everthing about the hotel that I needed to know.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank doom5959

Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have to do a lot of travelling for work, so I try to balance cost and comfort. I have stayed at this hotel for weeks at a time and found it to fit my needs very well. The location is very convenient, right off of Route 50. If you are going on to points south and east, just hop back on to 50 from the parking lot. If going to points north or west, you can either do a u-turn at the light near the Hyatt, or take the road behind the hotel to a light which lets you turn left.

The parking lot is large enough for all guests, and well-lit. Access points to the hotel are all around the building, so you can gain easy entry with your room key. There is a gas station, Burger King, and Peking Palace within walking distance. The hotel grounds are well-maintained.

The hotel lobby is warm and inviting. There is a sitting area and a dining area. In the morning, a generous free breakfast is offered - pancakes, muffins, bagels, eggs/omelettes, biscuits, meat (sausage, bacon, and/or ham), cereal, fruit, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, juice and milk, coffee, tea - all of this is pretty standard fare. No, it is not 5-star cuisine, but I'm not dining at Le Meurice, either. And did I mention it is free??

I don't have much to add from what others have said about the rooms. The king-sized beds are comfy, although as Denaf pointed out you need to make sure the elastic bands have not come off. Some rooms have a digital thermostat on the heating/cooling element, others are manual. To be honest, I prefer the manual ones because I like the element to stay on and drown out any hallway or outside noise. One down side to the room I'd point out is the water temperature can be a little finicky. On the lower levels, closer to the hot water heater, you have to turn the lever almost all the way to cold before the water is not scalding hot. On the 4th floor, the water temperature is perfect and predictable. The rooms are always clean, and the staff go so far as to get fancy with the toilet paper rolls.

I have used both the pool and gym facilities. All equipment is kept in good working order, and clean. The light to the room is on a timer, so if you are on the exercise bicycle or walking to cool down from a run on the treadmill, it might not sense your movement - and turn off! Kind of annoying, but I usually just hop up and down a couple times to wake it back up. I did not find the pool to be cold (and I'm staying during the winter), but it was cool when I first jumped in; maybe the temperature could be upp'ed a bit. I agree with Saswan that the hot tub is a great way to warm up.

Last, but certainly not least, is the staff. Staff can make or break a person's stay, and the staff at this hotel are nothing short of wonderful. They are very courteous and I get the sense they really do want me to have a pleasant stay. I'd like to mention one person in particular. Most of my reservations have been handled by Corina. She is an exceptional employee! My reservations have been accurate, and she has been able to accommodate me when my schedule changed. She is very polite, professional, and friendly. I don't think I've ever seen her without a smile to welcome patrons. She is graceful under pressure: during one of my check-in's, a client had issue with her room and was irritable. Corina handled the person's concerns with skill, efficiency, and she remained unperturbed during the exchange. Staff like her truly make the stay pleasant and hassle free.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2012

The room was reasonably clean. Re saswan's review- when we did the bedbug check, I made sure to put the mattress pad's elastic bands under the mattress. No bunching, comfortable night's sleep. Clean sheets & mattress. I like the pod coffee maker, good for making tea that doesn't taste like coffee. Also, there was hot water & coffee service in the lobby (all day?) in the evening. Nice lobby with chairs & couches. Comfortable arm chair with ottoman in the room. Decent included breakfast (including bacon for you meat-eaters).
Front desk person friendly and helpful. There is a shower cap among the amenities- a rare thing lately.
What I didn't like: The deadlock on the door did not work (I forgot to mention it to the staff).
The sink is in the hall, opposite the bathroom. When the light is turned on at the sink, the other person is rudely awakened. Maybe put the beds on the same side of the room as the sink, so the little wall would block direct light from a sleeper's face?

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I doubt we would choose to stay here again, but it was fine. Clean and quiet, with very nice staff. Convenient location, right off of Route 50. The mattresses had some sort of pad on top of them, under the sheet, and it kept getting all bunched up every time you turn over. My husband and daughter said the swimming pool was very cold, though they did eventually get into it. (They appreciated the hot tub to warm them up afterwards.) Breakfast nothing special, but it is nice that they offer it free. Cold cereal, packs of instant oatmeal, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, biscuits with gravy, etc.) Fitness center had 1 exercise bike, 1 treadmill, and 2 weight-lifting machines. My husband used the treadmill and said it was adequate (though he missed not having a tray that he could read from on it.) Anyway, since this was just a quick trip to visit friends nearby, it was okay. If we were spending more time in the area, however, I think I would make another choice.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed here for one night. I was concerned about the choice after reading some of the reviews on Tripadvisor. We found the property to be convenienct, clean with comfortable beds. The included breakfast was very nice. If you want an extensive menu there are many restaurants nearby. We would not hestiate to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed two night here and we were very happy with the accomodations. Nice beds. Breakfast bar in the moring was a little iffy. Hotel employee was checking temperature of the eggs on the breakfast bar and apparently it was not at the right temperature. Little scary!! Still a good place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We were passing through town and wanted to stay the night, were able to book as a walk in with a nice room. The bed was great, pool, hot tub, fitness center, and breakfast to boot!!. Would recommend to anyone in the area. Also front desk agent was very helpful in recommending a place to grab a bite and a few drinks!

Only draw back was the curtains to close to keep out light in case you wanted to sleep in later than 9am.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bigbriza
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Comfort Inn And Suites
Holiday Inn Express Easton
Oxford Inn
Oxford Inn
#1 of 1 in Oxford

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cambridge? Share your experiences!