“Affordable alternative”

Holiday Inn Express Cambridge
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed May 28, 2012

A conference at the nearby Hyatt brought me to Cambridge, but my budget conscious employer (me) couldn’t justify the high price of that luxury resort. The Holiday Inn Express, near the Hyatt’s entrance, lacks the swanky amenities, but the clean, comfortable rooms and pleasant staff made this hotel a worthy alternative at half the price. Judging from the conference name tags on other Holiday Inn guests, I wasn’t alone in my choice.

With the check-in and breakfast room on the front of the hotel, guest rooms are spared direct exposure to the noise of Rt. 50 traffic. Parking surrounds the building, with secure card-reader entrances only steps away from nearly all parking spaces. Fast food and Royal Farms (gas/convenience store) are adjacent. My guest room had a view of above ground storage tanks. I closed the curtains and enjoyed the snack bag the front desk provided – a reward for my membership in the chain’s loyalty program.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed May 10, 2012 via mobile

We stay in the Cambridge HI Express whenever in the area, which is perhaps 30 nights total. The hotel is nicely located on Route 50, yet is quiet. The King & Dbl Queen rooms are very comfortable, well furnished and clean. The staff has always been pleasant. We look forward each morning to the included breakfast buffet, from which we choose OJ, Yoghurt, and either dry cereal or scrambled eggs and sausage. Parking is safe. The pool is perhaps an 8 on the 10 scale for cleanliness. Overall, we love the place. Friends who used to stay at the Hyatt resort nearby find the HI Express has much better cost performance.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Stayed here on a Sunday night in early May with my wife, while driving through the area on a vacation. Excellent check in - we received 'gift bags' (water & snacks) because we were Priority Club members. Very good sized room, with desk, king bed, lounge chair with lamp behind. Very quiet, very comfortable. In the morning, a very nice breakfast in lobby, USA Today newspapers - what more could you want?

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Cambridge over a saturday night while photographing the landscapes around Dorchester County, MD. I was looking for a reasonbly priced place to stay that was clean, quiet, and convenient. It was all of those. I wanted to get an early start Sunday, and I was amazed to find that their breakfast starts at 6:00, even on Sundays, and even more amazed to see that when I got down at 6, everything was set up and ready togo. Cudos for that. You wont' confuse this hotel with the Hayatt across the street, and if you want anything more than a basic place to spend the night, this may not be for you. But as a good basic hotel, it was everything I wanted, and I didn't end up paying for a lot of stuff I didn't need.

Room Tip: The hotel gives a AAA discount, which brought the cost of my stay, with tax, to under $130.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Was decent but overpriced. I think I may try one of the local inns next time.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2012

Dear JeanieTravel1200,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us regarding your stay at our Hotel.
We appreciated the time and effort you have taken to inform us of your experience.
Guests such as yourself enable us to maintain the high standard of service expected of us.
We thank you for having chosen our Hotel.
We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed January 1, 2012

Stayed 1 nt w\husband on NYE's to attend function at friends nearby home. Nice, clean comfortable lodging for 1 nt. Room has fridge and coffee maker. Right down the road from Walmart. Right on Rt. 50, so front rooms may get a little noise. We were in back facing parking lot, empty field and giant neon sign that changed every 5 secs or so. Thank God for blackout curtain. Would definitely recommend for short term stay while visiting the area.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JB222Chicago
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We stayed here while visiting Blackwater NWR nearby. The staff was friendly and courtious during check in and chack out. The room was clean and spacious. We were in a non smoking room. It was on the second floor and I noticed that the whole floor was non smoking. That is great. No cigarette smoke in the hall way coming from other rooms. The breakfast was good. They had a pancake making machine. This is the first time we have ever seen one and it actually worked pretty good. It did make large, hot pancakes. They also had little omlets, and bacon. Of course they had the usual cerial, pastries, toast, bagles and even some sticky buns. We will definately stay here on our next trip.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Comfort Inn And Suites
#6 of 9 in Easton
Hampton Inn Easton
Hampton Inn Easton
#2 of 9 in Easton

Been to Holiday Inn Express Cambridge? Share your experiences!