“Happy I stopped in..”

Hot Spot Cool Eats
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Free standing building directly on westbound Rt. 50 With ample free parking. Rt. 50 Crossover in front for easy eastbound traffic access. Nice outdoor and indoor seating or carryout. Eatery with some unique and local retail items. New Pop Shop area offering a wide selection of retro, all natural and unusual bottled sodas. Smith Island Cakes, slices or whole. WI-FI.
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

On the drive back from the beach, I was craving something sweet. I drove past the restaurant many times before but never stopped in until today. I got a soft serve ice cream. It was delicious. The girl behind the counter was very kind. I was happy to stop in and support a small business. I will go back next time I am driving through Cambridge.

2  Thank TTMaj

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Finally stopped in to the Hot Spot after driving past it on the way back and forth to the beach all summer and I'm sad to say I won't be going back. I love hot dogs and fries and this place looked like it would be right up my alley. It's certainly clearly posted that they do not serve "fast food" but we waited 48 minutes for our order of one hot dog, one turkey (or maybe it was chicken?) dog, and one small order of fries to share. When our number was finally called I politely explained that, while I understood the "no fast food" philosophy and didn't expect a 5 minute wait, I found our wait time to be unacceptable. There wasn't a line out the door or anything that day and while we weren't the only ones in the place, it certainly wasn't packed. I was, I felt, rudely brushed off with the explanation that the turkey dog takes 14 minutes to cook fully and there were a few orders in front of ours. Not even an attempt at an apology or anything, not to mention I'm pretty sure the grill could accomodate more than one order at a time even though it apparently wasn't being used that way.

I'm most disappointed because the food was pretty good. The dogs were great and the fries weren't bad either. I'm recommending people avoid this place and the headache that came along with the absurdly long wait and rude staff. If you must give it a shot, definitely avoid the off-brand "cola" though - it's undrinkable. To their credit, I was asked when I ordered a small coke if "cola" would be ok and I said yes, but I was very wrong. This could be a great stop off place on the way to/from OC but I will be driving right on past The Hot Spot in the future.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

It's a great place to stop by when you are visiting the beach or on your way back home.
Very nice staff and the owner. You can feel the owner's effort when you eat the hot dogs. Fries are amazing with hint of vineger. They are very nicely presented and you have many options to choose from. I personally think that this spot is better than any fast food restaurants.

2  Thank Yk S
Reviewed August 6, 2012

It's hard to find a good hot dog in this area so I was happy to see this place open. The food is a good balance of price and quality. The staff and owners are great. If you have a taste for a dog or a sausage, this is the place for you. Good fries and ice cream, too!

2  Thank QuakerOrts
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We had good food and great service but on the night we were tree it was a bit noisy. The crab cakes were great and the burger was "excellent". The mac and cheese best my sin has ever had! He said it was the best meal so far!

1  Thank honest35