“Overpriced, but a good hotel stay”

Comfort Inn And Suites
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
NC
“Overpriced, but a good hotel stay”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Granted, it is overpriced because there are so few hotels in Cambridge AND because it's high season for beach-bound traffic. The front desk staff was mediocre but pleasant enough. Our room was clean, comfy, and well-appointed. Despite the traffic along Route 50, the room was really quiet. Other than a barking dog upon check-in, we didn't hear any other guests. Breakfast was adequate, and the breakfast room staff was kind and helpful. I'd stay here again, unless I could get an amazingly low rate at the nearby Hyatt.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Let me start off by saying the only reason we stayed at this hotel was because we were going to a wedding in Cambridge and they had arranged for guests to stay the night here at a discounted rate. Had I known it was a smoker's hotel, or that there are some bad reviews online, we definitely would have just stayed at the Holiday Inn Express a mile down the road. The staff did not seem friendly or helpful even before we arrived to the hotel. When my girlfriend called to see if we could check in an hour early the day of the wedding, one of the staffers told her that we most likely wouldn't be able to and that they could really only tell us a few hours ahead of our check-in time. Considering we had to drive from Baltimore on Memorial Day weekend, we didn't want to just assume we could check in early and arrive way too early at the hotel. We did anyway and there was no problem checking in a few hours early since NO ONE WAS STAYING THERE. There were about 10 cars in the parking lot when we arrived mid-day, a promising sign the hotel we were staying at was a popular joint. After the lady at the front desk was done browsing the internets for a few minutes, we were able to get check in and get our keys. There was a pleasant sign near the elevator which seemed to express their enthusiasm for some upcoming upgrades the hotel was making. "Coming in the fall of 2011, the Comfort Inn & Suites will become non-smoking!" I never did think I would have to stay in a smoking hotel (at least not since 1996), but I guess this place was trying to bring back a certain kind of nostalgia, you know, when times were simpler... The trip on the elevator to the second floor was pretty good by the way. If you’re looking for a decent elevator in the Cambridge area (not a lot of bells and whistles, just pure quick and efficient service) this is one hell of an elevator. Anyway, once we had arrived at our room we were greeted by a stiff blast of smoky air. The hallway didn't smell but the room definitely did. I don't know if it helped that the curtains with cigarette burns and holes was positioned over the "air conditioner" in such a way that they were just kind of draped over the vents; so that when it turned on the curtains acted as a kind of 'smoky filter' if you will. I put the air conditioner in quotes since it acted more like a fan with a nice looking control panel that didn't really seem to do anything. Don't try setting it at 67 with constant fan, it will decide mid-70's with intermittent fan is better for you. Regardless, the smell was enough to bother us for about 15 minutes until we got acclimated to it. When it came to sleep time at around 10:30, we were able to eventually get to sleep but were woken up a few times by the people upstairs rearranging the furniture to play indoor soccer. I guess they got tuckered out around 11:30, about time for some other curious noises to arrive outside. It sounded kind of like some clown horns being squeaked off and on for about three seconds at a time. We pondered what the noise could be for about an hour before we decided it probably won't stop for the rest of the night, so we probably wouldn't get any sleep. Then came the decision. We decided we would rather drive home to Baltimore for two hours in the middle of the night instead of stay any longer at this place. When we checked out we told the lady at the front desk the list of complaints we had, she seemed to have heard them before. I complained about the horn sound and she interjected with "Was they was the frogs?". Yea, I guess they were the frogs. When we asked if we could get a refund she told us she could give us another room. We opted to just leave since we would most likely have the same problems in another room. If we wanted our money back we would have to talk to the manager the next morning. As we shuffled out, we were one of about five cars left in the lot before we headed back to Baltimore. We got hold of the manager a day later and after a few arguments we were able to get a full refund, which was nice. Even though we got our money back, their customer service and poor accommodations weren't enough to keep me from posting a review to try to warn others who might stay here. Traffic wasn't bad coming back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank acesh1gh
Dublin, VA
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Hotel was very convenient to restaurants and historical district of city. Breakfast was very good, clean surroundings, and staff very willing to help.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed August 7, 2010

We had a fine stay here. Clean........still smells of new carpet smell. Spacious rooms with seating area, comfortable. The staff was friendly, efficient and helpful. Parking was easy-Fine stay. Quiet. We had stopped at other hotels nearby and either they were too $ or full and finally found this one. Glad we did.
PS- I checked for bed bugs and found none. But, I understand it can happen Anywhere. I really think this hotel deserves a better rating on TA for this small town.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Roswatki
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 17, 2010

I recently stayed at the Comfort Inn in Cambridge, Maryland due to an interview in the area. My boyfriend accompanied me on this trip as it was seven hours away from home. We were woke up at 2:30 a.m. by not one, but THREE, bugs crawling around in the bed. My boyfriend was bitten by one of the bugs. Clearly disgusted, we went down to the front desk to request a room change (this was after no one answered the phone at the front desk). We were told there was only one room available even though there couldn't have been more than 15 cars in the parking lot. The "upgraded" room reeked of cigarette smoke so we refused this room. I was told that I was more than welcome to check out and return the next morning to speak to a manager. Umm, what part of me not being from this area did they not understand? Where were we to go at 3 a.m. when 1. I am not from Maryland and 2. I have an interview at 9 a.m.? The manager would not refund the full amount of my bill since I did not leave during the middle of the night. She even had the nerve to chastise me for getting angry at her employee. STAY AWAY! RUDE, RUDE, RUDE STAFF and DISGUSTING BED BUGS! I will never stay at a Comfort Inn in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank wvuchickadee
Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed June 19, 2009

I booked a room at this hotel in months ago - same day that I booked with the hotel I called and canceled - unfortunately the cancellation number can NOT be found - since I have no number they charged the first night to the credit card - when calling to ask that it be reversed the front desk person who was "manager" for the time ended the call by hanging up on me! ADVICE: Stay away! The customer is not right - and they do not believe in customer care! Called the customer service for the entire chain and have not heard back from them. I'll stay away from Comfort Inn and will tell everyone that I can to do the same~

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Mas1967
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cambridge
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge
Fairfield Inn & Suites Easton
Hampton Inn Easton
Hampton Inn Easton
#2 of 9 in Easton

Been to Comfort Inn And Suites? Share your experiences!