“Nice stop on the way home from the beach”

Cambridge Diner & Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 61 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Our group of four stopped for a late breakfast on the way back from O.C. Maryland.
We were seated right away and fresh coffee arrived immediately. The coffee was really good. We all order breakfast even though it was after 11:00 am....no problem. While waiting for our breakfast to be served our coffee cups did sit empty for quite sometime before getting a refill. The hostess did notice this and asked "If you folks are big time coffee drinkers I could bring you over a separate pot so you don't have to wait again (they were busy). That is service and looking to make a good impression. My food was really good, sausage was tasty and I had asked for onions added to the homefries and they were excellent.
Good food, good service, great prices..... our new stop on the return trip from O.C.

1  Thank bluewatergolf

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Soft shell crabs were small and a bit overcooked. We wish the local people would suppoort the Turkish food that the owner has tried!!!

1  Thank SnowBird0211
Reviewed September 20, 2012

After driving for nearly 5 hours, we stopped at this little unobtrusive diner. We were greeted with smiles by the staff and the other patrons. As soon as we were seated, my 6-year old little boy told our waitress that his tummy hurt and he felt car sick. She immediately went and got him some chicken broth which he quickly devoured while we reviewed the menu. That kind of service and attention really impresses me.

Many of the reviews here remark on the reasonable prices - I must agree. The prices were fantastic. The salad bar was lovely. Yes, it is small, but it is fresh and well-stocked. They offered country favorites you don't see on most salad bars these days - beets and three bean salad. Both were fantastic.

The desserts are home made. They were fantastic. We had an apple dumpling which was a whole apple stuffed with raisins and then surrounded by a pastry shell. It is served heated, and we got a side of ice cream with it. I also had some homemade baklava which was very tasty. My children enjoyed the fresh cookies on display and we got a small package of them for the road. Our meal was so satisfying that we were still full several hours later.

One final thought I would like to impress upon readers - This is a little family-owned establishment, and as you know reviews can make or break small businesses like this. This is also a DINER and as such serves diner fare which is mostly country comfort food, not high-end cuisine. If you manage your expectations on what this restaurant is or is not, I think you will do just fine.

We really had a wonderful experience and if we are hungry and in the area again, we will stop.

1  Thank Vicki B
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Sadly, I strongly recommend you stay far, far away from here. I lucked out with soup & salad bar only; soup was chicken noodle & luckily they dished mine up before they ran out. It lacked salt in a major way. Salad bar was far short of impressive. I was surprised by it's lack of veggies actually - no mushrooms on a salad bar? Odd. I take that back; they had marinated mushrooms that tasted . . . off. Boiled eggs tasted fine but had the black ring around the yolk, which skeeves me out. Boyfriend had the appetizer sampler, which was ok. It was all deep fried stuff dumped out of a bag (chicken tenders were awful & SUPER over cooked). Two friends ordered their cream of crab soup, which was AWFUL. Flavor was passable, but the consistency was disgusting. The "crab" in it was, well, we don't know what it really was. Boyfriend actually spit it into his napkin after trying it. One bowl actually came out with scum on it - the kind that forms when soup hasn't been stirred in a long time. Not what you want to see when you get your bowl of piping hot soup. The French onion soup was alright flavor-wise and we agreed it could have been good 5 days ago before they let it reduce down to a salt rock. I had to drink an entire glass of water after tasting a single bite. The seafood (alfredo?) dish another friend got was alright; it wasn't what the menu led us to believe he was ordering (sounded more like a fried seafood platter), but still, the scallops & shrimp were large and good. Our waitress was very friendly, however she didn't seem to pick up on how most people weren't eating their meals (soup), plus I think some things were "lost in translation". The lemon meringue pie wasn't great. It seemed to have been sitting for a long time so the meringue turned into more of a firm marshmallow consistency. The eclair filling was pudding as opposed to traditional pastry cream. Oh, and the kitchen manager (I assume) had a stern talk with the staff about refilling things as they run out with the kitchen doors open so the entire restaurant could hear. Overall, it was awful. We laughed it off while there but will never, ever, ever return. Oh, and one friend (cream of crab soup only for dinner, which means she had 5 bites max) got sick on the ride home. But yes, portions were huge, I admit that. The amount of cream of crab soup was immense.

1  Thank anja3582
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stopped there for breakfast before heading home and I made the mistake of ordering the pancakes. WOW for $3.99 the pancakes were as big as footballs. But they were so good. My friend got the country breakfast which was two pancakes eggs, bacon and sausage which was $7.99. The value for this meal was awesome.

1  Thank NicoleH1