“Friendly staff and nice rooms”

Red Roof Inn & Suites California, MD - NAVAIR
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in California
Philadelphia, PA
“Friendly staff and nice rooms”
Reviewed February 4, 2010

I stayed here while on business for the government. After a brief misunderstanding with the front desk clerk, I was able to confirm my room. The staff was always friendly and accommodating. I never used the pool or the exercise room, however I did notice that the hot tub was broken the whole week I was there. My room was clean and the shower was quite nice and LARGE! Breakfast in the morning included pre-made (but still yummy) omelets and sausage biscuits w/gravy...NICE!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
North Carolina
Reviewed April 26, 2009

I'm sorry to say, but like the general area of Lexington Park, this hotel was disgusting; a dump. It goes to say that you can't judge a book by it's cover. I'm embarassed to say that I am a native of southern maryland. The smell of wet, moldy carpet and cigarette (or something else of that nature) odor, not in one room, but in two, on different floors (supposed to be non- smoking floors, but guess what folks? SMOKE AND OTHER ODORS TRAVEL IN DUCTS AND OTHER AIR SYSTEMS!!!) When we asked the front desk staff if the cleaning crew shampooed the carpets and then added a deodorizer to the wet carpet, they denied it!? Also, the air conditioner was leaking, on the carpet. The front desk women who less than respectful or friendly about the ordeal of US having to change rooms tried to make excuses or pretend it was not a "real issue" at first, but as soon as they opened each room door, they had to admit it, if their sense of smell were working! Then, when my husband adjusted the air conditioner system, it started to smoke, and the fire alarm sounded, not once but a couple of times, as well as later that night (cool night outdoors as well) the heater smoked! Here we were there to help an ill relative for a quick week- end, and we were not comfortable at all. We are in our fifties and have traveled alot in our lifetime, all along the east coast, mostly at Holiday Express or Fairfield Inn, without EVER making a complaint, but we had to get a place at the last minute, and we ended up at this "dive". NEVER AGAIN!! I'd rather sleep in my car or in a tent!!!!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 10countrygirls

Travelers are raving about these California hotels

Richmond, VA
Reviewed March 29, 2008

Hotel was a good value for the money. After reading some pretty bad reviews of hotels in the Solomon Island area, we decided to NOT stay at the other places, and took a chance on this one. The room was big, clean, and had everything we needed. The pool (although it does have an odd green color to it) was nice - kids had a great time- while we enjoyed the hot tub. The included breakfast buffet was good, nice selection - danishes, cereal, make-your-own waffles, bagels, fruit salad, yogurts, fresh juice, etc. We had not stayed in a Sleep Inn before, so I was prepared to be disappointed, but will certainly try another one based on this experience. Is located very close to Solomon's Island as well. Ate at Captains Table in Solomons - was great! Try the crab bisque!

• Liked — Clean, big rooms, nice breakfast,pool and hot tub
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
NC Mountains
Reviewed November 20, 2007

Went to visit family and it was the closest hotel to them. We have stayed here twice before. The front desk is not friendly at all but also not rude. The pool was greenish colored. Breakfast was sad, no fresh fruit, dry frozen (still) biscuits, reheated canned gravy and boiled rubbery eggs. The room needed vacuumed upon arrival and the bathroom floor could have used a scrub. For $100 a night it could be improved.

Stayed November 2007
5 Thank Mo981
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 23, 2007

Spent the entire weekend of Sept. 21-24 there for the Motocross of Nations event at the Budds Creek motocross park in Waldorf MD. The rooms were well appointed, smoke and smell free and the cleaning staff did a great job of cleaning and not rearranging our items left while at the track. My expensive laptop (I am a journalist) was never touched and even looked like it was dusted.
The continental breakfast truly held up to its name as there was a smorgasborg of food laid out every morning in the dining area, not just muffins and coffee but waffles, eggs, cereals of all kinds, fruit, orange, apple and cranberry juices were laid out.
There is a fair sized pool that is not tto deep to be a hazard to littel kids as well as a gym next to the pool with stair steppers, 2 treadmills and 2 bicicyles, one of them a recumbent bike.
I will stary there again when the next national motocross event shows up in Maryland.

Stayed September 2007
3 Thank ktm882
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed June 20, 2007

I booked a non-smoking queen room through my company. I checked in, and I notice a little bit of an odd smell as soon as I entered. Sometimes strange rooms are like that, so I didn't think anything of it until I noticed the ashtray on the desk. I called the front desk to tell them that I had reserved a non-smoking room, and the clerk told me that they had no other rooms available, but that I could come down to the desk for some odor-removal spray, if I wanted it.

I should have known this wasn't a classy place when I stepped into the bathroom and noticed the plunger next to the toilet. Not a good sign. The toilet did back up, but I wasn't about to plunge it (that's what I'm paying them for). I told the front desk about it on my way out the first morning, and in their defense, the toilet was fixed, and the plunger was gone by the time I returned in the evening.

The breakfast was average, but the hotel was not very maintained (toilet issue, walpaper peeling).

• Liked — Proximity to airport.
  • Disliked — Reserved non-smoking room; given smoking room.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank 3dawgnight
california, md
Reviewed April 19, 2007

I stayed at this motel while relocating and for NEW YEARS EVE 2006. We enjoyed it so much while moving it became our home away from home.

Now we use the motel for our out of town guests.

Waffles, hot tub and pool are great also loved the GYM!

• Liked — Location and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Had to leave.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near California
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lexington Park (Patuxent River Naval Air Station)
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lexington Park-California
La Quinta Inn & Suites Lexington Park - Patuxent
Extended Stay America - Lexington Park - Pax River
Quality Inn Beacon Marina
Hampton Inn Lexington Park
Hampton Inn Lexington Park
#1 of 9 in Lexington Park

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites California, MD - NAVAIR? Share your experiences!