“I so want this place to be better”
Review of DB McMillan's - CLOSED

DB McMillan's
Cuisines: Irish
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Consistency! Thats what this place needs. We have gone to DB's three or four times over the last year. Atmosphere is good. Music is appropriate and doesnt overpower the place. Bar area has a few TVs and had rugby on last time we were in. Service has always been pretty good, although the waitress during our last visit on 10/6/12 did not seem to know much about the menu or the beers- maybe she was new. But the food on our last visit was subpar. Historically the fish and chips has been very good with thick pieces of fish perfectly battered and fried, however this last time the fish was thin, batter was almost nonexistent, and it was soaked with bitter tasting oil. My daughter who eats anything fried barely touched it. The homecut fries were soggy as well. I ordered the special that night- the irish sampler platter. The mashed potatos and boxty were decent, but Ive had much better elsewhere for the same price. The ham and cabbage was nothing special and the cabbage was undercooked. My fish was way too oily as well. For the quality and amount of food, the platter price seemed a little high. Shepherds pie was good as always. My son liked his chicken tenders. We also got the homemade potato chip sampler with cheese, bacon, etc- it was good as long as you got some of the rare crispy chips;alas, most of the chips were flaccid and soggy. Beers were cold and refreshing....good selection of drafts and tried three different ones while i was there.

Being of irish heritage and given the dearth of ethnic food in st marys/calvert counties (unless you are looking for mexican or chinese) I SO want this place to better and one that i want to go to every weekend....but it nots there.

I will certainly return and hopefully the food on this last visit was a fluke.....our past good experiences kept me from giving a poor rating.

1  Thank Bill S

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

We have eaten here several times and we never had bad food. They will also take reservations which was really helpful since the last time we had a party of 11. When we have had a smaller group we have sat in the bar area where you can listen to live music on the weekends. The food is really good and the have a big selection. They have a good kids menu too. We always enjoy it.

1  Thank Bethanysinging
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Corned beef and cabbage was flavorless and dry. It could have been much better if they'd put some cooking juices on the plate. It was served with Gulden's mustard...not very Irish IMO. My husband had the Irish stew, it was better.

Waiter was attentive, almost to a fault. He brought out the dessert tray when we weren't even halfway done with our entrees.

1  Thank Amy K
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

We have have been here many times, usually jus to hang out in the pub for music drinks and apps. We have had dinner several times and on more than one occasion left over charged and under satisfied. I ordered the cesar salad at $7.99 and was the size of a side salad if not smaller. The desserts are great, especially the irish cheesecake......when they have it.

The live music never dissapoints, however the wait staff is not very knowledgable of the food menu. If your looking for a great place for irish music and drinks, this is it. If your looking for a great family value, go some place else. They do have specials and I believe are now closed on sundays. Will continue to go for the pub.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I have only been there one time as I didn't live down here for a long time but - the food is very good - especially the Shepherds Pie.