“A neighborhood gem”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Finally ate at the Wild Tomato which is so near me we could walk there. Had a great meal with very courteous and friendly service. The pasta special -- orcchiette with clams and a light salmon cream sauce -- was delicious and perfectly prepared. The house special Manhattan also was perfect. Followed this with the ice cream sandwiches (homemade chocolate chip cookies) -- two of them, enough to share, and a cupcake (yellow cake with vanilla frosting) -- okay it was a cupcake. It was a lovely evening so we ate outside. We were pleasantly surprised at how welcoming the staff was since we didn't arrive until about 9:30 pm. Looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Hamburgers, fish tacos, and pizza are the specialties of the house and all are delicious, but ask for the specials, such as the scallops. Absolutely terrific! Servings are generous; you may even consider sharing the fish tacos or a hamburger. Wine and beer selections are good, service is friendly, but the kitchen is slow. It is not fast food, but your patience will be rewarded.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

Tried this restaurant for the first time. I was told it was a sister restaurant to Persimmon which we enjoy. The front staff were kind. The menu lacked excitement. It was mostly "bistro" type food and pizza. The waiter staff appear inexperienced, lack knowledge of the menu. I ordered the crab cake which was below average. I could not find any lumps of crabmeat though the waiter told me it was lump with no filler. It was an embarrassing crab cake to represent the home of the crab cake-maryland. My wife got a tun sailad which was sesame encrusted and enjoyed the dish. I did not personally get a pizza but people seemed to enjoy it that ordered it. To me, it might be a restaurant to stop at for a quick bite to get an average meal but it is nothing memorable or would lure me back anytime soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

For a local restaurant and the price of the entres this is a terrific bargain. I have co-owned a couple of restaurants in Old Town Alexandria and I simply love this small local restaurant. The service is great and the seafood linguini dish with mussels, shrimp and fish is consistently great.

This restaurant has a loyal following and is a true winner!

Rick

Reviewed November 12, 2011

First the good: Wonderful service, very fresh food. Shared a wedge salad with bacon and blue cheese (yum) and a 12-inch plain pizza. The pizza crust was very thin and crunchy, but the sauce and cheese were rather blah. The club sandwich next to us looked great, as did other choices. Very reasonable $$
The bad: those really hard wooden chairs and benches. Uncomfortable. The noise level is extreme. Will go back and sit outside in warm weather.