“A great place”
Review of Cuba de Ayer

Cuba de Ayer
Reserve with OpenTable
Cuba de Ayer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 30 Restaurants in Burtonsville
Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I've been coming here for years now and it continues to be the best authentic Cuban food in the area. The owners are great people and always treat their customers amazing. The food is amazing and feels like home. The avocados and shrimp appetizer is a great option. Can not go wrong here.

CubaDeAyer, Manager at Cuba de Ayer, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for your continued patronage. We are so happy to hear you enjoy all that Cuba de Ayer has to offer. We always aim to provide each and every one of our guests with authentic cuisine and friendly service. I am thrilled to know we hit the mark for you. We hope you come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed August 26, 2018

First off, it is a little difficult to find, parking is limited, it is very popular and it is not cheap.
Everything else about this restaurant is great!
We booked our reservation on Open-Table and were seated within 5 minutes of entering. I did not see any empty tables. The server was wonderful and we tried several different dishes and drinks. They were all amazing.
The restaurant, staff and food were excellent and if you have a special occasion here to celebrate it.
Enjoy.

CubaDeAyer, Owner at Cuba de Ayer, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2018

Thank you, Ward! We strive to provide top-notch service and cuisine, so we are overjoyed to hear you had a wondering experience. We understand and apologize for your frustration regarding parking, that is something we are aware of. We are looking forward to having you come visit us again soon.

Reviewed August 16, 2018

One word describes our recent meal at Cuba de Ayer – Amazing ¡!!

Hadn’t been to Cuba de Ayer since moving south. However, I was back in the area and a colleague wanted Latin food near Columbia….so we went to Cuba de Ayer.

It had been a few years, so I was amazed at the transformation they have undergone. What had started as a quaint, Burtonsville location in a strip mall is now a beautiful, spacious restaurant….but it still has fantastic food & service with a warm, personal touch.

When I arrived, I tried to walk in the wrong door (it used to be the old front door). I got a good laugh and eventually entered through the correct door. The man who greeted me looked familiar. It was actually Guillermo, their M who has been there for years. Got a nice table and waited for my lunch guest to arrive.

Our waitress was fantastic (but I keep forgetting her name). She was great. Made us feel like family.

Started with red sangria. It hit the spot. Next was a delicious appetizer of garlic shrimp and avocado (Camarones en Aguacate). This is a must try appetizer (and make sure you get the bread to dip in the sauce – total flavor bomb).

My colleague had the Vaca Frita and she loved it. Huge portion. She had plenty to take home for a snack. I had Pollo Salteado, slices of perfectly cooked chicken sautéed with onions, peppers and served with rice. Rice was perfectly cooked. The sweet plantains that came with it melted in my mouth.We each had a double espresso for dessert. What a way to end a meal.

A classy looking lady walked by to check on the customers. She looked familiar too. It turned out to be Jessica, the owner. Hadn’t seen her in years. Still super friendly and she hasn’t aged a day! What a great meal. Can’t wait to come back.

Wow! Your review truly made our day! Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to write something so incredible, we are extremely grateful. We appreciate you keeping us in mind despite moving out of town, and we are so happy to have you back! We strive to provide authentic cuisine with a personal touch, so it pleases me to know we are really hitting the mark. I will pass your compliments on to our wait staff, they seem to be doing a fabulous job at making our guests feel welcomed and comfortable. Thanks again for your very kind words, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed July 30, 2018

Amazing food! You can't go wrong with anything on the menu here. Empanadas are amazing; highly recommend the chicken empanadas. Top Picks: Ropa Vieja, Pollo Guisado, or any appetizer on the menu. Wednesdays - great latino band in the evenings. Happy Hour deals are very nice on your pocket. If you're into hot sauce like I am, you've gotta try the house hot sauce! Sooooo good!! Add this spot to your list...your taste buds will thank you :)

Reviewed July 25, 2018

We had a break in the weather and decided to eat outside. This place has a small area that overlooks a lovley parking lot (well the building blocks the noise of 198 so it is not bad) and with the umbralas and you are become carried away to another world beyond Burtonsville; did I say we had a few Mojitos?

To start she had the Empanadas and I had the Combinacion (a mini sampler of roasted pork, croquettes and fried yuca) add some of the sauces on the table and this was a good way to get going.

For mains, she had the Boliche, slowly roasted eye of round with gravy, tomatoes, onions and garlic; she was most happy with it.

I got Lechon Asado a Cuban roasted Pork in "mojo criollo" or critrus marianade and onions; not bad at all.

Few days later, the Washingtonian came out with the "CheapEats" edition and this place was listed so I'm sure they will have a lot more business.