“Awesome place!”

Ranked #1 of 16 Restaurants in Brunswick
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed July 23, 2014

On our way home from a group camping trip, we stopped to get lunch at Beans in the Belfry.

The atmosphere of this place is fantastic. As soon as we walked in, we couldn't get over how awesome everything looked and what good vibes the place had going. The architecture is beautiful!

It was definitely a bit crowded, but they were in the middle of their Jazz brunch when we arrived so it wasn't a deterrent. It seemed like everyone was having a blast and really enjoying the live music.

The staff was incredibly friendly which was a relief because you never know how people will be when they are busy or feeling rushed. The menu had a great selection and it was almost difficult to choose just one thing! It was a nice day so our group opted to sit outside at the tables on the sidewalk to eat lunch and drink coffee. You could hear the jazz music from outside so that made it even better.

They brought the coffee out first and it was perfect. I'm not a coffee snob, but it is really nice to go somewhere that doesn't have burnt or stale coffee. The food was extremely delicious. Nothing to complain about!

I think we all left there wishing we lived closer to this establishment! We will definitely be returning.

2  Thank LadyWithABuzzSaw

Reviewed July 14, 2014

It has to be pretty bad for me to rate something this low. Yes, I was unhappy that they couldn't get a very simple order right. I was also unhappy with being given the equivalent of a sippy cup of chocolate milk when I'm very clearly not a toddler. The service probably could have been slower, but they would have had to try hard to do it. What made me rate this restaurant so low is that the bread was incredibly, unforgivably stale.

I started out ordering a plain sandwich on un-toasted bread. I asked that they not put a pickle anywhere near the plate. I've found that description usually conveys just how much I hate pickles and detest getting pickle juice on my food. I really don't think that's a difficult order to fulfill. The sandwich arrived (after MUCH waiting) on toasted bread with a big, 'ole pickle spear next to it. No one stayed long enough for me to complain or ask for anything so I got up and walked over to the counter and requested a plain slice of bread. Figured I could salvage this easily enough. After another very long wait I was brought a piece of bread that had clearly been sitting out on the counter all day. It was as hard as a slice of bread could possibly be. Probably perfect for making croutons, but not for eating. Now I know why they toasted the sandwich to begin with.

Back to the chocolate milk. I polished that off in about three gulps. It was not made "light on the chocolate" as requested either. When my one friend asked what would possess them to serve an adult a child's cup of milk their excuse was that they usually only had requests for it for children. Heaven forbid someone actually think before insulting someone with a useless, tiny portion like that.

I can't imagine a reason to return here.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We've been here several times, which is already a good sign. The place is unique and the food is very good. A nice variety and just a little different than most sandwich cafés. I like their sandwich combinations. They also have a children's menu and a little comer with a few toys for little ones. A great little place to hangout or stop in for a meal.

1  Thank C M
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Melanie has done a great job with this café/music/children's haven/you name it place, BUT, it could use a little more variety in the food department. they have a Panini grill and microwave but still no real cooking facility even after several years of being open. they do offer great jazz, folk, jam sessions and children's activities. the sandwiches are very good but the menu has not changed or become more diverse over the years. they have a nice competitor down the street now so at least Brunswick has a little more diverse food offerings. a good plus is that they now offer beer:)

Reviewed May 28, 2014

With a name like Beans in the Belfry, the rest has to be good, and it was. A charming, eclectic coffee shop set in a church building, giving it a unique atmosphere to begin with, and this place runs with it. A variety of yummy sweets to satisfy any sweet tooth, a wide variety of drinks (including any coffee flavor you could hope for), plenty of seating, and a welcoming atmosphere make this place a must for anyone going near the Brunswick area. Makes taking a trip off the interstate more than worth it.
Some bonus perks: Live music, and a reading/play area for kids and adults alike to enjoy!