Review Highlights
Great small beach

This is a small beach area in a well maintained state park. The water is very shallow and... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
Chelsea M
Towson, Maryland
via mobile
Beautiful beach and surrounding areas, soft red sandy beach.

Very nice and friendly beach, cool breezes , sunny atmosphere, restrooms available, not portal... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Melinda Y

All reviews falls state park bel air few hours beautiful beach ocean city waterfall hike stream nature river lifeguards tributary mud scenery exploration picnic baltimore
Selected filters
Reviewed January 30, 2019

My wife and I hiked the Wildlands-Stocksdale-Sweathouse trails loop on a cool, but comfortable Sunday afternoon in January. The walk through the woods and along the river were very pretty, but the trail itself was very muddy--even in the higher portions of the hike. We had 8-10 inches of snow a couple of weeks earlier and rain in the middle part of the week before, which I'm sure caused all the mud. Also, there is a stream crossing over the tributary that feeds into the Gunpowder that was a little testy for us "senior citizens". Be advised if you're taking kids on that portion of the Sweathouse trail. If you stick to the shorter Wildlands-Stocksdale loop you can avoid that crossing. I'm sure it's all fine in the summer, but just be prepared for mud during the rainy season.

Date of experience: January 2019
Reviewed August 29, 2018

I've been to Gunpowder Falls State Park many time, and I have yet to see any falls. It stretches way out, goes under two highways, and meanders along a stream.

The thing that keeps me away is that on the weekends, folks trailer their horses down and they ride the trails in unison, as fast as they can. And you had better be out of their way.

The sound of pounding hooves will warn you of their approach however, they don't move and they don't slow down. You have to get off the trail or been plowed over. Mud slings everywhere.

Most of the trails are single track, so wear hiking boots for when you need to venture off path and into the foliage.

Date of experience: February 2018
2  Thank MysteryTraveler1956
Reviewed August 7, 2018

This is such a gorgeous and very historical place. I have gotten our family pictures done here. We have gone hiking through the property and it is a good place to swim on a hot day. It is a nice place to have a picnic. Many photographers recommend this place for senior pictures as well.

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank crislip86
Reviewed July 11, 2018 via mobile

I have been going to this beach for 20 years. I take issue with people who complain that the beach is packed. Oh my, the beach is packed because it's hot outside. If you do not like this Beach, Drive your silly butt to Ocean City. It's only a hundred sixty miles. If you don't like the fact that it's dirty, well hello, it is a river, with Muddy bottoms and sand. If you want clean pristine beaches, spend $5,000 and go to Cancun.

For $3 per person entry fee, you really can't beat it. You go in there, if you go early, you get a nice parking spot. You go down to the beach, you set up your awning, your towels, and go to the beach. There are four Beach areas, and even though one of the posters claims you can only swim in one, you can swim in any one you want, so long as you swim without a lifeguard. If you are so worried about your children and not being able to see them, maybe you need to spend time with your children in the water not up on the beach buried in your phone.

Date of experience: July 2018
14  Thank JKA_Express
Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

We visited last month for a short hike and enjoyed the experience. The park is large with access points throughout Baltimore and Harford counties. We were near Bel Air and saw a number of creeks and a few small waterfalls along our hike.

I’m certain we’ll return to Gunpowder Falls to continue exploring this great natural resource.

Date of experience: May 2018