“Not a place for vegetarian beer drinkers”
Review of DuClaw - CLOSED

DuClaw
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Not a place for vegetarian beer drinkers”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

This review is written from the point of view of someone who eats either vegetarian or fish. I went to DuClaw after work with a friend to have a beer and dinner. The atmosphere was very good. The service was average (somewhat slow for the good spirited but overworked waiter), the beer was excellent, but if you are a vegetarian beware of the $11.00 veggie wrap; it is more like finger food, two pitifully small seaweed wrapped stingy portions of vegetable and tofu, not worth half the price. My friend was happy with his hamburger. Of course, if you go there to drink a few beers and then head over to Three Brothers, Olive Garden, or some other of the numerous restaurants in walking distance for your vegetarian selection, you have a better strategy to enjoy the evening. The value rating is not for the burger, but for the vegetarian meal. And the overall food rating takes into account "poor" for the veggie wrap but good to very good for the burger.

• Visited September 2012

Lenexa, Kansas
“Terrible Management = Terrible Restaurant”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

BAD SERVICE/BAD MANAGEMENT. This was my wife & I's first time at DuClaw. We told the hostess we'd like to sit outside, up on the balcony if possible. She told us just to find a seat. We went upstairs, where there was another party of 8 with menus and drinks.

After 5 minutes, no one came up. I went downstairs, and told a server we'd like some menus. She said she'd be up in a second. 5 more minutes passed. I went downstairs, made eye contact with the same server and another. Nothing happened. 2-3 more minutes and I asked another server if we could get a menu. He said the area was reserved for overflow. I asked if we could still sit up there, and he seemed confused and didn't give us an answer. Fed up, we went downstairs. I told him we were leaving and he just said "OK" and didn't try to stop us.

I asked for the manager at the hostess station and a meek little woman came over. I explained the situation, and all she could do was wring her hands and say "I'm sorry." She said that the balcony was closed (this is after the hostess said we could sit up there AND there were already people up there AND the 1st server said she'd bring menus up).

I told her "I guess we'll just have to go somewhere else" and she just said "I'm sorry" again. My wife said "I know you're sorry, but what are you going to do?" She said she'd help us find a table. I said "I think we'll just leave" and she let us go out the door.

RULE #1 IN THE SERVICE INDUSTRY: If people are upset at your bar/restaurant, instead of letting money walk out the door, just offer a few free drinks or a free appetizer.

If she had done that, we would have stayed and ordered food and drinks. Instead, we went to California Tortilla, where the guy behind the counter was much friendlier than anyone at DuClaw.

• Visited August 2012
Maryland
“Great service, good food”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

For 4th of July, DuClaw sold beers for $1.00 - irresistible. We didn't really go to have dinner, but I'm glad we did. Happy hour pricing is only in the bar, but $1 beer pricing extended to the dining room, which is very pleasant for dinner compared to the bar.

DuClaw is the brewpub closest to home for us. Their beer is always fresh and good, and they keep it interesting with new and seasonal releases. I enjoyed the Hellrazer IPA, it has a New Zealand variety of hops with (supposedly) "tropical" flavors. Very interesting. The food was great - I had the Mezze platter of Greek appetizers: stuffed grape leaves, humus, feta, pita, diced cucumber, and baba ganoush. My wife had the "Flatbreat seafood melt" that had shrimp and crab with lots of cheese - very tasty.

Our server was excellent (kudos to Daniel), the value was good, food arrived promptly. All in all, a great night.

• Visited July 2012
“Slow slow slow”
Reviewed June 29, 2012 via mobile

We were there as a group & we had reservation for the lunch hour. The room they set us up in was great. Host was welcoming and polite. However the service was very slow. Our server was nice and friendly, but when he took our food orders he skipped 3 people & they had to wait for him to come back. Food was average. I will say it's a good environment for intimate conversation since there were a lot of booths. But don't plan on being there for an hour or two, we were there for three hours.

Annapolis, Maryland
“Not Impressed”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

My daughter loves this place and she insisted that we eat here. We were seated in a booth that was set up like a private room. It would have been nice for a group to talk. Or a date. Our server was very friendly but after she delivered our food she did not check on us at all. And it was fairly late and there were not many people there. The food was OK and the portions small. My daughter might go back but I won't.

Visited May 2012