“This place is not what I've come to expect from Marriott!”

TownePlace Suites Bowie Town Center
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bowie
Bowie, Maryland
“This place is not what I've come to expect from Marriott!”
Reviewed September 6, 2010

I had to stay here for nine days, due to repairs being made in my residence from an insurance loss.

Upon arrival, the room appeared spotless, minus the wall stains of grease etc., until I looked under the bed where I found items from a previous guest, which I delivered to the front desk, at which time I requested a vacuum so I could vacuum under the beds myself. The mattresses have absolutely no support, it may even be unhealthy for your back.

Another thing I noticed is that once the A/C is turned off you begin to smell a strange odor in the room...and it doesn't go away until you turn the A/C back on.

The parking lot has extremely poor lighting, and it's unsafe considering the location of the hotel, with the back practically in the woods. Some spots are so dark, you can't see your hand in front of you.

They only have an outdoor pool, that doesn't look very clean. I asked the lifeguard about the pool, and she advised that nobody uses it anyhow.

This hotel does not have wireless internet, and the connection that they do have is very slow.

One night while staying there, I watched the security guard get out of his personal vehicle, walk over to a bush, unbuckle his belt/pants and proceed to urine in the bush. I couldn't believe it was happening because he saw me pull up in my car. That was disturbing.

There are children running around with no supervision, and it appeared like they just lived in the hotel, meaning they were not there due to an insurance loss...they were just there.

There is no real breakfast, just cold cereal, a few bottles of orange and apple juice, instant oatmeal packets, and some muffins in plastic.

The furniture is old and damaged, they have tube televisions with a few Comcast channels, and one HBO channel.

I reported insects in my two bedrooms and the maintenance guy came up to my room and sprayed (Hot Shot insect spray from Wal-Mart) in the kitchen over my recycle/disposable paper plates, and plastic bowls, my pots, and food. And it's funny because he didn't get the bedrooms, although that's where I reported the bugs.

I had reason to believe that they came in your room, even when you had the do not disturb/busy tag on the door. Looking down the hallways reminded me of The Shining.

I honestly believe the cleaning staff does a good job, considering what they have to work with, and the front desk staff appeared to be very pleasant.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Whowouldathunkit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 24, 2010

Stayed here for approx. 18 weeks while working on a project in Forestville, MD.

Observations:

Lobby: Quite small with a couple chairs and an even smaller breakfast area. Not that it would matter because breakfast consists of instant oatmeal, (3) different types of cereal, rotten bananas and prepackaged Sara Lee muffins. Workout room is small but nice with a couple treadmills, a bike, and some handheld weights. The laundry room is excellent. Three washers, six dryers. Never had the need to do laundry outside the hotel. And what you've heard about the internet is all true. Slow, weak signal, just awful.

Room: For the most part clean with a couple exceptions like a dirty eating/work area from time to time but not consistently. The beds are the worst. Don't know how else to describe it. Mattresses sag, pillows are horrible, blankets are not adequate AT ALL for warmth, just a mess. Television is old 27" CRT and several channels (HBO for one) didn't work on MANY occasions. Full size refridgerator and microwave are very nice amenities, though there is only a 2-burner stove, no oven.

Are you a Gold or Platinum Marriott member? Forget the upgraded treatment. They do not give you your automatic upgrade and if you ask, you probably won't get it.

Lets get to the "relatively creepy" part. First, on many, many, MANY occasions there will be the two kids of one of the night clerks sleeping on two chairs in the breakfast area. Not only that, the significant other would be sleeping there as well. Further, be advised if you show up there late at night, there might be a beat up old Chevy in the parking lot with a guy just sitting in there. Whether this individual is "security" is still in question but regardless, there was a "creepiness" factor that started to make me concerned about the surroundings I was staying in. The mall around it is nice, and the shopping is good with many restaurants in walking distance but, again, be wary about moving around this community late at night.

Overall: Room-Clean but not comfortable, breakfast-forget it, surroundings-ummm....yeah......

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Joliet_Scooter
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Reviewed October 19, 2009

We stayed here Fri 10/16 in a queen Studio room. WOW, it was nice.
I actually used my Marriott Reward points so the nights lodging was free.

The internet from a room worked well (a little slow, but we were just glad it was free). We did not bring an ethernet cable so we called down to front desk and we ran down and got one and then turned it in during checkout.

The room and bathroom were extremely clean. The room looked like it had never even been used. No marks on any of the walls, no mold anywhere in bathroom. Walls and doors appeared to have fresh paint. Two closets, small kitchen with anything you could possibly need for one night.

The walls were a little thin as a woman down the hall or the next room has a having a 'good time' with her parnter (if you know what I mean). We could hear every detail. We could also hear the folks walking on the floor above us (on their hardwood floors). So I'd says the walls could use some 'sound proofing'. But this honestly didn't impact our stay since I always travel with ear plus because you just never know about noise levels when you stay in hotels.

Location met our needs, parking lot felt safe and free breakfast was all we were looking for. (Coffee, tea, cereal, milk, OJ, oatmeal, bananna or muffins). We were going to eat breakfast 'out' the next morning when we arrived at our new locations so we were fine with the free breakfast this hotel provided us with.

All and all, I would stay here again if I needed lodging in the Bowie area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Budapest
Reviewed August 29, 2009

Very good location, close to Washington DC/Baltimore/Annapolis and just 5 minutes to Six Flags. extreme friendly personnel. nested in a nice residential area just behind a small shopping mall, so shops and restaurants are within walking distance. Very nice outside pool, they even have a gas and a charcoal grill free to use for the guests.
Definitively a come back!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I liked this hotel, but was expecting a better breakfast, as I am used to Fairfield and Residence Inns' breakfasts.
Spent two nights here with my son. I liked the location with the town center attached. There were many choices for eating and shopping.
Metro's Largo Town Center station was about 15 minutes drive away, then about 25-30 minutes into downtown DC from there.
Room was clean and comfortable but small. If you want more space, try the 1 or 2 bedroom suites. The studio is smaller than others I have experienced.
Wireless internet was a bit slow, not suitable for business travelers.
The BBQ grill and smoker are a nice amenity, as is the outdoor pool.
Would definitely return here, as it's the only category 1 Marriott within 20 miles of DC.
If 3.5 stars was an option, I would have chosen that. It's better than average, but not very good.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank dlostyle77
Bangor ME
Reviewed June 24, 2009

This was the cheapest of the Marriott selections in the Maryland suburbs, and there were reasons for this. The staff was impersonal, the breakfast offerings were minimal, and it looked like the staff was monopolizing the internet connection for guests.
On the plus side, the room was quite comfortable, and the location was a convenient one.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed May 29, 2009

My husband and I do A LOT of business travel. We've had some horror stories when on the road. When we had a recent fire in our condo and decided to not stay with relatives but to stay at an extended stay hotel per recommendation of a friend. Bowie Townplace Suites was perfect. The location was prime with shopping, restaurants and a movie theatre that you can literally walk to and the comute to work was ok. The rooms have a mini electric stove, microwave a full fridge and dishwasher. We didn’t have to worry about flatware or dishes because everything was provided.

The downside: change a better quality mattress and softer towels.

The staff was always helpful and genuinely friendly. Overall our month stay was a pleasant one and I would recommend this hotel to all family and friends who need an extend stay in a hotel. I hope they keep up the well maintained property and friendly staff!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowie
Hampton Inn Bowie
Hampton Inn Bowie
#1 of 4 in Bowie
Comfort Inn Conference Center
Staybridge Suites Washington D.C. - Greenbelt
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Annapolis
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Largo/Washington DC
Courtyard Largo Capital Beltway

Been to TownePlace Suites Bowie Town Center? Share your experiences!