“Happy Hour before the game”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of On the Border

On the Border
Ranked #74 of 120 Restaurants in Bowie
Cuisines: Mexican, Bar, Southwestern, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Southern Maryland
“Happy Hour before the game”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We went with visitor from New Mexico who knows Mexican/Southwest food, to the Bowie Baysox game a recent Tuesday evening. It was "Tightwad Tuesday" where you can get a box seat, two Esskay hot dogs, peanuts, and popcorn for $17.00 - a very good deal. But, before the game we went across the street to On The Border for some Mexican/Southwest cuisine. It was Happy Hour. All appetizers and most drinks were half price and all tacos were only $2 each. We sat out on the covered veranda and the weather was just about perfect. Plus they had ceiling fans going. Our waitress, Tee, was fantastic. She was friendly and very efficient. We enjoyed generous portions of chips and salsa, nachos, flautas (taquitos), Texas wings, and guacamole salad, and washed it all down with tasty margaritas. Bonus - the bar had run out of small margarita glasses, so we got large margaritas for the same price. The service was fast, both food and drinks, and the food was tasty and piping hot. But we couldn't stay much longer than we did because it was getting close to game time. Since we were so full of food and drink, we didn't get the Tightwad Tuesday tickets. However, it just keeps getting better. They had $2 draft beer at the stadium !!!! And, the Baysox WON !!!! The score was 9 - 7 over the New Hampshire Fisher Cats, which included a couple of home runs and some double plays. A great baseball night. Oh, did I mention $2 draft beer?

• Visited July 2013

Maryland
“You know you are in trouble when no one likes the chips and salsa.”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The food just didn't taste very good.

There were 5 of us in our party and we each got something different. We all love Mexican Food and we were starving. The chips were ok but the salsa just tasted like it was out of a jar and had a strange aftertaste.While our main food entrees were edible, they were not very good.

My margarita martini was delicious.

• Visited July 2013
Misawa, Japan
“Always good”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I eat at the bar each time and I am never disappointed. I don't go often, but when I do the bartender always remembers me and my order! The fajitas are delicious and the drinks are great. I love this place!!!

• Visited April 2013
Bowie, Maryland
“SLOW AND COLD”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We walked in and the place appeared to be half empty (Saturday Memorial Day weekend about 4PM). We both ordered the endless tacos. Sent my soft drink back - it was missing most of the flavor, looked more like ice tea than Coke. For 25+ minutes we watched our server straighten chairs, sweep the floor and wipe tables. About the time we were going to leave, our food showed up. Three nearly empty tacos. I have never seen a taco with so little filling in it. The pictures on the menu shows nice, filled tacos - not something that filled less than a quarter of of a tight taco shell sides close together). To make matters worse, everything was about room temperature. The tacos, rice and beans - nothing remotely close to warm. Sent the whole plate back. New plate came out in less that five minutes. Tacos were warm, but the rice and beans were as cold as the original plate - maybe they were. Hard to believe they have pots of beans and rice keeping warm and still be that cold... We gave up and asked for the check. The manager came over to our table, apologized and deducted the price of one of the meals. Guess I might start bringing my digital cooking thermometer with me when we go out to eat.

• Visited May 2013
Crofton, Maryland
“One of our local favorites!”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I regularly come here. We love the food no matter what we get. We especially love the enchiladas, fajitas, and queso. The wait staff is always friendly and they provide speedy service. The atmosphere is great too and it is okay to bring the kids. The only complaint we have is that the prices are pretty high depending on what you order.

• Visited January 2013

Been to On the Border? Share your experiences!