National Capital Radio and Television Museum
Open today: 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Last minute visit before airport

Reviewed August 10, 2018
Jennifer F
Just By Chance

Reviewed June 27, 2018
Larry B
Maricopa, Arizona

All reviews guided tour tvs era howie md parts
Reviewed August 10, 2018

This is a hidden gem. It was a quick trip with my brother and his wife to kill a day before going to the airport. A great exhibit of old TV and radios. The doscents are knowledgeable about the industry and what you are looking at. Go visit!!

Reviewed June 27, 2018

We had decided to go to this museum without looking at the days they were open. We got to the door and noticed the sign that said they were closed. By then my husband has already rang the doorbell and a man opened the door and said come in we're just starting a tour. So just by chance someone had requested a tour for the day and time we were there. Our tour guide Brian was very informative and answered all questions. There were radios from the 20's and newer. TV's from the 40's

1  Thank Larry B
Reviewed February 6, 2018

If you enjoy museums that have those old junk radios and televisions, this place is not for you. If you enjoy seeing every radio and television ever made and docents who can give you more information that all of the radios and televisions combined, this is your place. It is small on the outside, but you have plenty to see on the inside.

Reviewed December 21, 2017

A party of four of us went for a visit that turned out to be very interesting! It's not far from Greenbelt, MD. There were so many kinds/types of radios, tv's & a workshop that they take folks to sometimes. We were there on a lucky day! They also take donations if you have old radios & tv parts, but you need to check before you bring items. They also will give you a receipt w/a relative value for income tax purposes.

We also told two other family members about the facility & they brought items to donate & they received a receipt for income tax purposes.

Kids love it, too, but it's important to keep an eye on them.

There is not a charge, but they took cash donations when we were there.

Reviewed September 18, 2017

Had some time to spare before our evening activity and happened on this museum. Was greeted at the door by a very friendly and extremely knowledgeable gentleman. He took my husband and I around the museum and explained all the displays and showed the many displays dealing with radio and television from their inception to the present. So much to see. Some of the early TVs really brought back memories. The museum was free but they accept donations. Highly recommend making a stop here.

1  Thank pielady-2
Reviewed September 4, 2017 via mobile

Visited the Bowie
National Capital Radio & Television Museum today the day just before Labor Day. It was fun, so many wonderful inventions in that era you could easily spend a couple of hours there. You can take a guided tour or just mill about. Enjoyed looking at the old radios, tv's, her masters voice megaphone record player, and more...Bring your camera. Good for ages 7 and up!

1  Thank Alladin23
Reviewed February 13, 2017

For those who live in Bowie Maryland, near Bowie, Or maybe passing through stop by it's worth the trip. I would not recommend for non-school aged children. There are not enough exhibits for very young children to interact. But for the rest, go! It is more fun with more generations in your group. You can all see something to associate with your past and see the present. There are hands-on exhibits and great displays. The docents were very knowledgeable and love to answer questions. For some you can view great spans of your life as it relates to radio and T.V. You need only about 1 1/2 hours to have a nice walk-through. It would even be good for a quick team-build or stop before or after a company lunch. If you are having a family reunion and need a couple hours to get everyone out of you hair, this is a great little place to go. So much information packed into a two story house. My be difficult for those who have trouble walking. The could get around on first floor, don't recall any elevator or chair lift. Please contact them to be sure.

1  Thank dcwendy2016
Reviewed February 13, 2017

One of the City of Bowie's smaller museums. But if you're into radio and TV history, this is the place to go to. Originally a store and gas station, it was saved and converted into the museum.

2  Thank Ray and Jan H
Reviewed January 18, 2017

It is packed full of old equipment and memorabilia from when radio was king and television was in its infancy. They also have a library of old radio shows you can listen to as well.

2  Thank amygV8081RR
Reviewed January 17, 2017

This is a wonderful museum of the 'old-school exhibits' variety that lays out the development of radio and television from the beginning up to the transistor era. Why is it relevant besides nostalgia? Because everything that we revel in today- i-phones and internet and (putting aside the telephone for the moment) instant electronic communication- started with this! Older people will appreciate it as they'll remember the products from the end of that early radio and television era. But it ought to be a must for the teens and young people for whom MP3's and computers were 'always' there- to see and appreciate how it began and know how far it's come. I learned something of the progression of the science of radio and TV, and also saw the wonderful progression of design styles (they've got a ton of radios to look at) and also the fun of the early marketing that is the same as today- 'let's combine a radio and a camera and see if people buy it!' Well, they will, when you add a phone, just 60 years later.. So once upon a time, not 100 years ago, this was just starting.
I had a volunteer museum guide to myself- a retired computer engineer- whose professional career's work was all with computers, going back 50 years (!). He was very knowledgable and patiently answered all my questions and we moved along at my pace. So visitors can really go at their own speed, to get a quicker overview or a longer look at things.
I am so glad I visited! I want to take my almost-grown children on my next visit- to see how their all-important devices evolved, and how quickly. This is a great place!

2  Thank Tom H