“Very Fun Time! Check Out the Water Rides!”
Review of Six Flags America

Six Flags America
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Bowie
Silver Spring, Maryland
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Very Fun Time! Check Out the Water Rides!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This place is NOT for the hard core riders. If you love roller coasters for the thrill (rather than the small rides that make you dizzy/sick), then go to Cedar Point or Kings Dominion.

✓ ✓ Location
I gave Six Flags an extra ☆ because there are multiple locations. Each location appears to be different, so you're tempted to visit different Six Flags!

✓ Rides
In general their rides are nice. Mostly for the soft core. This place has more kid friendly rides.

✓ Themes
I love their themes. I love Batman and Superman. It's nice that they have Looney Tunes too. This is another reason why it's great for kids, but it's also enjoyable for adults who ever enjoyed these cartoons!

✓✓ Water Park
They have a very awesome water park. This shouldn't be surprising, they used to be Adventure World. That park (in my childhood experience) specialized in water rides. I'm pretty sure Six Flags also has a pool that generates ocean-like waves.

Six Flags will offer you a great and fun time. Be sure to check out their water rides! It seems that many adults overlook them. I'm guilty of it too.

✓ Cost
Six Flags often have buy 1 get 1 free deals, or $20 off coupons. It's very affordable!

✓ Superman
Seems to be their greatest ride. It's smooth, and great for thrill seekers.

Six Flags lost a ☆ because their rides are simply not as great as Kings Dominion or Cedar Point. More of their "big" rides are shaky. Your head often throbs between the head rest/guard, causing (me) headaches, which I don't experience from the rides at other parks. When I leave Six Flags I'm not totally fulfilled as I am in other parks.

Next time I go, I'll try to do more of the water rides. That is their specialty after all!

Warning: Apocalypse is a VERY shaky ride. Prepare for a headache! Worthy riding just to say you did it, but it wasn't very enjoyable.

Visited October 2012

Arlington, Virginia, Usa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“great park; great value”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We're big fans. We get season passes and go 4-5 times each year.

There are tons of rides, with a huge range in thrill level. My kids (8 and 6) love it.

We recently visited Magic Kingdom for the first time. The kids and I were horrified that people we know choose to pay outrageous prices for intolerable lines for mediocre rides when this park is 35 minutes from our house in Northern Virginia.

2 Thank JDoe613
Hyattsville, Maryland, Usa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My Six Flags Experience”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I thanked God for the lovely weather he gave us to have fun At Six Flags,
I am now old enough to come by myself with friends or younger family members, this means i will not have a boring , nothing to do summer.
Thank you.

1 Thank AntoniaJ785
Baltimore
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“If you live locally, give it a chance”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

While I have lived only one hour away from Six Flags America, I had never visited due to the negative word of mouth that seems to plague this theme park. Six Flags took over this park some years ago, so I believe some of the negativity comes from the previous operators.

Anyway, looking for something to do with the kids, I thought I'd try a visit. The season passes are so cheaply priced that I went ahead and purchased 4 season 'memberships'. On arrival I was also handed a coupon book which includes quite a few 'bring a friend for free' passes - which really makes it a nice value.

Parking at $20 is absurd, but I am assuming it is priced this way partially to encourage car pooling. For a theme park, the lot isn't really huge. Luckily, my season pass allowed me free parking for the season. That alone has saved me $40 in my two visits.

I nervously approached the first visit. I had heard the park was dirty and overrun by gangs of unruly young teenagers. I had heard the employees were surly and sometimes rude.

I can happily say that I did not encounter any of that. It was spring break and the park was very lightly attended the two days my family visited. The park was clean and the employees were truly terrific. Bravo to someone in management for taking training seriously!

On both visits so far every single employee we encountered was friendly and helpful. The restrooms and the park itself was clean. Some areas are due for a renovation and a paint job, but it was clean.

The waterpark was not yet open, and I have heard it is very nice. The rides are fine. This isn't a huge park but there is enough to do for a 5 hour visit.

Food is expensive. This is the only park I have visited where a "combo meal" doesn't include a drink. Lunch at Johnny Rockets for 5 of us (and mind you, 3 of us didn't even have a full meal) was $75. You can get your handstamped for re-entry, so if you are on a budget you may want to pack a cooler and eat in your car.

My kids really enjoyed the rides and had a very good time. I can't imagine we will visit weekly, because it is a small park, but since the season passes pay for themselves in less than 2 visit, that is OK.

I will be very curious to return in the summer to see if the employees can maintain such a friendly demeanor. Also, I have heard one issue with the cheap season pass is it becomes a summer daycare with unsupervised kids there all day. If that is true, it would greatly change the atmosphere at the park.

There is quite a bit of amusement park competition within a 2 hour ride from Baltimore. I wouldn't go out of my way to visit Six Flags America, but if you live in the DC/Baltimore area it is certainly worth a try.

But so far, so good!

Visited March 2013
Manchester, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Season Pass Holder”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Been a Season Pass Holder since October. It may not be the biggest park in the world - but you DEFINITELY get you money's worth. Past couple of visits - lines have been short, staff are always friendly and it's always clean! Can't wait for the water park to open up soon!

1 Thank colsen313