“I was so looking forward to eating here”
Review of Elevation Burger Vista Gardens - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Elevation Burger Vista Gardens
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Elevation Burger has been on my mind since I first heard about it in June of this year. I just happened to be doing a search when I discovered there is one in my area. So on my next free day of wondering what to eat, I decided to go. I walk in and am standing there for longer than necessary when the cook sees me and tells the young man who, while I can't prove it, appears to be either reading or texting on his phone, we all know that posture. The same young man waited on me and knew less than I about the menu when asked questions. He did admit he was new so why was he at the register? I get my food and I must admit the burger and shake were good but, the fries were a little greasy and soggy. Not sure I like the presentation on a metal tray. I decided to eat in and had to fight a fruit fly the entire time. The place appeared to be clean but the catsup bottle was sticky to the touch. So the next time I go, I will not eat in and I won't order the fries.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

First, let me say, they have Five Guys beat by a large margin in the taste of the burger and fries. But I did have some of the same. I thought the customer service was pretty good but the guy that brought us our burger didn't seem too happy to have to bring yet another order to yet another table. The guy that took our order didn't seem all that happy to be there either. When we asked about the drinks, he just shoved us some cups without explaining that the soda machine was self serve.

The decor was very nice; I like the fancy soda machine and the use of bamboo in the tables. The place was very clean but they need to upgrade the ventilation system. The place started to get a bit smoky when more orders were placed.

Also, I understand that you have to wait for a good burger. Good burger joints like Bobby Flay and Five Guys have you waiting. But the wait time seemed a little long at Elevation. Also, I ordered bacon on my burger and they didn't put it on there. I had already finished a third of my burger before I realized it. At the point I said forget it.

Sodas; please offer some other kind of soda in the bottle; I had never seen those brands before. Over all, I think they are on to something with this place because the burger was better than Bobby Flay and Five Guys. But they should let you order the burger the way you want like med rare or medium. It is weird that they would locate next to a Red Robin at the location in Gambrills where I ate, but it is two different experiences between the two places and I think they will be fine there.

I would go there from now on to get my burgers; Five Guys is out for me now. But Elevation needs to work on a few things if the plan to take on the bigger competition. If you go in a Five Guys there must be like a thousand people working back there. The guys at Elevation seem a little over worked, they should hire more staff, there were only four guys working there.

These things I can live with for now, not sure if I could for the long haul. But the burger is good enough for me to over look them at this time.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

The burger was good but, not great. The presentation was terrible. Its a burger place, I get it but the extremely greasy shoestring fries were delivered with napkin over them that was soaked through by the time it made it 20-feet from the kitchen. The burger was good, the best part was the aged cheddar, it had a real good taste. I believe in honest reviews so I will say that while it may be organic and never frozen as they advertise, I could not tell the difference in taste between their burger and that of 5-Guys. I think the cost for a burger fries and a drink being $11.63 is a bit high when you look at their competition. They may know more than me... I may try again but this will not be a weekly trip.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is a review of a new location for Elevation Burger. This one is in Frederick, MD

This is a new restaurant in a young (about a year old) strip mall in Frederick, MD.
It looked like it would have no-fuss food, well cooked. That was my expectation.

What it is is a restaurant that provides a limited menu of American foods.
All sorts of burgers - they come plain and you build upon that.
Like Five Guys, their standard burger is actually two patties; order the kids burger if you want just one.
This is a problem. If I want a quarter pound burger cooked medium rare I can't get it. I get two patties cooked through. Restaurants CAN cook burgers medium rare if they use irradiated beef (sold at the nearby Wegmans). So, I can't get the nice juicy burger that I'm looking for.
Not a problem - this is the case with Five Guys as well.
I tried a kids burger (single patty). No taste to it. I had the fries, but ate very few because the menu board states that these are 510 calories. And there's no small size available to order, unlike the burger.

They have different menu options - a grilled cheese that is actually grilled, not just heated in a panini press (Panera). Great! like Grilled Cheese Factory. EXCEPT they only offer one cheese - cheddar. No American cheese, no other choices (grilled cheese with bacon at Panera).
I tried the grilled cheese. Plenty of taste, just not what I was looking for (cheddar).
If they offered American cheese I'd go to Elevation Burger for the grilled cheese, not the burger.

No hot dog as is offered by Five Guys (my selection of choice there, as the hot dog is grilled like they used to do at Woolworth's lunch counter).

They have ice cream and shakes. Not something I usually buy.

The ambiance at this restaurant is nice. While it has the same industrial-style (exposed pipes) decor, it is somehow quieter. Lots of windows, which I like. And a choice of pub-style seating, counters, tables and picnic benches, which I liked.

The counter help was courteous, patiently explaining the items on the menu and the ordering process. The meal is delivered to your table in a metal baking tray, which is kinda cool, so less trash wrapping your items (Five Guys wraps everything to-go, resulting in extra paper bags to throw away for the eat-in crowd).

The similarities between Elevation and Five Guys is striking. The differences don't really mean much. Five Guys offers peanuts and location-named potatoes. Evolution offers... organic? burgers? There was a lot of fine print on the cups which I couldn't read without spilling the drink.

For now it's a draw between Elevation Burger and Five Guys. Neither one has the burger that I'm looking for. The fries are nothing special Elevation has bad grilled cheese.

What tips the scale?
I can *remember* the name Five Guys.
I kept calling Elevation Burger 'Evolution' Burger as I wrote this review.
I couldn't remember the store name! I don't get an immediate connection between the name and the menu.

So, given that I can remember the name, Five Guys wins.

Until EB changes their name and/or gives me the grilled cheese sandwich that I'm looking for.

Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

Before I even ate at Elevation, I was a big fan of it for the simple fact of using organic, free range ground beef in their burgers.

I have to say that Elevation Burger is a little on the expensive side, but I think it's well worth it. The burgers have great flavor, they're tender, and you can add most ingredients for free. They also offer custom veggie burgers.

The fries are done in olive oil, which is different, but works really well. The fries are crispy and taste like they're made from fresh potatoes.

The soda machine in this Elevation Burger is a state-of-the-art Coke machine with a touch screen and tons of flavors.

Overall, I'm very impressed by this joint!