“Great Tasting Ribs..Yum” 5 of 5 bubbles

KBQ Real Barbecue
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: real down-home BBQ in an unlikely setting (in a modern shopping area, next to a Safeway supermarket), but the best beef brisket I have ever ha din my life! Truly a Michelin-3 Star "worth the detour"
Greenbelt, MD
“Great Tasting Ribs..Yum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

My wife and I just finished devouring nearly a whole rack of ribs from KBQ and it was delicious. This was our first time eating at KBQ. The smoke flavor is still in our mouth. We didn't try the sides this time. Maye next time. We like what we have seen so far. We will be back.

1 Thank scritz

Washington DC
“Great smoked chicken. Excessive spice in sides”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

I have loved the smoked chicken here for years. I don't eat ribs, so I can't vouch for that. (sorry) The chicken might look pink on the inside, but apparently that is part of the art of smoking. Still I tend to order my chicken "well done". And it is often literally falling off the bone.

I would give the place much higher marks if the sides weren't so spicy. My young kids won't eat any of the sides here because of the excessive spice. Really, does there have to be large black pepper flakes in the mac and cheese?? Green beans too?

The bread pudding here is incredible.

The chicken wings were kinda dry everytime I've tried them.

The staff is pleasant and helpful. Maybe I should request Mac and cheese w/out pepper and see what they say.

1 Thank MochaMama40
Bowie, MD
“Spicy and substantial, sauces are good, but you don't need much if at all”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2010

Based on Washingtonian's including them 2 yrs in the Best 100 Bargain restaurants, I decided to try. My frame of reference was "Do I like this better than Dickey's?" (Texas based national fast food type chain in Crofton that I like.) Well, they are very different. Prices are similar. Sides are more varied at KBQ (shrimp & potato salad sounds interesting), and KBQ has a daily smoked/grilled fish that I'd like to try sometime. It was sea bass today, but I wanted to try the ribs. Also had mac n cheese, baked beans and key lime tart. My favorite of everything was the key lime... texture and flavor. KBQ is clearly not "fast food" in that it has more seasoning and tastes "unique." I thought I was hungry but could not get half way through a half slab and two sides, but brought the rest home. Sides are very spicy. I liked the beans a lot; mac n cheese too peppery for me. Ribs take more work to eat than at Dickeys, not because they aren't tender, they are just very substantial. I wish they had part of the menu identified as "less spicy", because for me it bordered on too much. The people behind the counter were both wonderful! Two loud, unruly female customers at the front of the line did not make a good first impression, although I know this is no reflection on the restaurant staff. Background jazz and posters on wall are nice. Maybe my tastes are getting bland in my old age.

• 3 of 5 bubbles