“Best Queso”

Cuisines: Mexican
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Best Queso”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Monterey was a great place to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. The queso with sausage is positively unforgettable. Drinks were also good. There was nothing negative about the evening. Worthy of a return trip.

Bowie, Maryland
“Gaining in popularity, apparently!”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Went again on the 16th of March, a Friday night. The bar was full, and the dining room was too. I ordered the same dishes as last time: the plantains were better this time - they were hot, a little crispier, and really good! It would have been very hard to beat the perfection of the queso funndido I had last time. This night's version had a lot more chorizo, but I'm a fan of the cheese more so than the meat, and wouldn't have minded the reverse. The cheese sauce this time was much thinner than normal, and that was a disappointment. I did ask for some extra to take home, since I didn't come close to finishing the huge amount of chorizo - I realize what a great deal I got last time, because for a container with about a half cup of cheese sauce I paid $4.50. That was not a good deal, and I was suffering a little from the sticker shock on that. My meal, the veggie enchiladas, was good (runny cheese sauce an all). I didn't see Maria in the dining room, so I'm only hoping that it was her night off and not that she's gone for good. Service was good, but nothing spectacular. I was quite surprised by how many people there were in there, though. Everyone seemed to be enjoying their visit - and there were couples, families, and a few solo's like me.

• Visited March 2012
Bowie, Maryland
“Try it Again - Food remains Excellent - Lots of Improvement in other areas”
Reviewed February 23, 2012

Really enjoyed my visit - the food was excellent, and the service and atmosphere were great.

THE FOOD: The fried plantains were on special, so I got an order. They were nicely fried, but not overly crispy. Hot and delicious. They were plain - no batter, which I've had sometimes. The dish came with the plantains, as well as re-fried beans and sour cream - an unexpected and pleasant addition. I also ordered the Queso Fundida, which was simply wonderful! A very healthy serving of the chorizo, with a nice amount of spicy oil with which to further flavor the white cheese sauce. I enjoyed this dish - though it didn't come with it's own chips, which I would have thought it would (maybe my leftover chips from the salsa that started the meal was assumed to be sufficient - which it was - so if they had been gone, I'm assuming I'd have gotten more chips). I had a good bit of this left over, and asked if I could have a little extra cheese sauce to take home with me, which I received - and at no extra charge, which was also a very nice surprise. For my meal, I got my favorite - the vegetarian enchiladas with the cheese sauce (sensing a trend here? It's true - this place has the best cheese sauce, and is a primary reason I go back). The meal comes with 3 types of enchilada - re-fried bean, cheese, and a delicious potato (with bits of red pepper). The rice side is also superb - probably one of the best flavored ones I've had - it's not overly mushy or tomato-ey, as so many are. There is also a nice side of lettuce and sour cream to round out the dish.

THE SERVICE - I was greeted and brought to my table right away. My chips came quickly (good - I was very hungry). My waitress, Maria, was a pleasure! She was very prompt, exuberant without being fake, and attentive. It was really the best service I've ever had there, and she's a keeper. She hustled, and I swear, even whistled while she worked. I was very impressed.

THE AMBIANCE - this is the first time I've EVER seen anyone at the bar - and there were a lot of people - maybe 8-10. They weren't loud and didn't intrude on the relative quiet of the dining area, so that was a plus. There were more diners in there than I've seen any other time - certainly not full, but many tables had people. Often we're the only ones in there when we go (they have a great take-out option, so that could be a contributor).

RECOMMENDATION: For those who have read the past posts and decided not to go based upon them - I have seen more improvement each time I've gone, so I think those that used to like going might want to give it another try. If you haven't, you should - the food is definitely worth it.

• Visited February 2012
College Park, MD
“Friendly & Clean; Servers Like Family!”
Reviewed November 25, 2011

On my 2nd trip to this restaurant, I'd had a rough day, & was ready for a marguarita & laughs with my friends, so we asked to be seated in their 'overflow' room. I'd been impressed here prior, during a quick business lunch, whereby I'd witnessed kind treatment (but not charity) of an underprivileged person (wont elaborate for fear of non-needy copy-cats). My friends & I had lots to catch-up on, & even tho we werent in the main dining area, our server skillfully made himself available, without ever interrupting! Unlike many, he cheerfully accommodated our request for substitutions, as well as pleasing my finiky friend, serving her condiments in individual little bowls, without a deep breath, or indication of annoyance! Variety is excellent, even for non-meat eaters, with 'fish of the day' faitas, that turned out to be talipia! Everything was served quickly, fresh, hot & tasty. Combinations are inexpensive, and they've chosen specific combos that I constantly seek, but usually can't find! This friendly niche is in a large commercial complex, & a tad difficult to find the first time; I feel that's the only reason it isnt constantly crowded! Nothing I tried would have been too spicy for children, but several yummy, spicy sauces were right on the table for those of us who enjoy more flavor & spark!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Lyndanal
albuquerque
“Mexican food at affordable prices.”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I love Monterey. They give you chips and salsa and their food is affordable. The seafood burrito is fantastic. You can get a huge beer for about $5. Good service, clean pleasant atmosphere.

• Visited September 2011