“Gaining in popularity, apparently!”
Review of Monterey Mexican Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Monterey Mexican Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Went again on the 16th of March, a Friday night. The bar was full, and the dining room was too. I ordered the same dishes as last time: the plantains were better this time - they were hot, a little crispier, and really good! It would have been very hard to beat the perfection of the queso funndido I had last time. This night's version had a lot more chorizo, but I'm a fan of the cheese more so than the meat, and wouldn't have minded the reverse. The cheese sauce this time was much thinner than normal, and that was a disappointment. I did ask for some extra to take home, since I didn't come close to finishing the huge amount of chorizo - I realize what a great deal I got last time, because for a container with about a half cup of cheese sauce I paid $4.50. That was not a good deal, and I was suffering a little from the sticker shock on that. My meal, the veggie enchiladas, was good (runny cheese sauce an all). I didn't see Maria in the dining room, so I'm only hoping that it was her night off and not that she's gone for good. Service was good, but nothing spectacular. I was quite surprised by how many people there were in there, though. Everyone seemed to be enjoying their visit - and there were couples, families, and a few solo's like me.

There are newer reviews for Monterey Mexican Restaurant

Reviewed February 23, 2012

Really enjoyed my visit - the food was excellent, and the service and atmosphere were great.

THE FOOD: The fried plantains were on special, so I got an order. They were nicely fried, but not overly crispy. Hot and delicious. They were plain - no batter, which I've had sometimes. The dish came with the plantains, as well as re-fried beans and sour cream - an unexpected and pleasant addition. I also ordered the Queso Fundida, which was simply wonderful! A very healthy serving of the chorizo, with a nice amount of spicy oil with which to further flavor the white cheese sauce. I enjoyed this dish - though it didn't come with it's own chips, which I would have thought it would (maybe my leftover chips from the salsa that started the meal was assumed to be sufficient - which it was - so if they had been gone, I'm assuming I'd have gotten more chips). I had a good bit of this left over, and asked if I could have a little extra cheese sauce to take home with me, which I received - and at no extra charge, which was also a very nice surprise. For my meal, I got my favorite - the vegetarian enchiladas with the cheese sauce (sensing a trend here? It's true - this place has the best cheese sauce, and is a primary reason I go back). The meal comes with 3 types of enchilada - re-fried bean, cheese, and a delicious potato (with bits of red pepper). The rice side is also superb - probably one of the best flavored ones I've had - it's not overly mushy or tomato-ey, as so many are. There is also a nice side of lettuce and sour cream to round out the dish.

THE SERVICE - I was greeted and brought to my table right away. My chips came quickly (good - I was very hungry). My waitress, Maria, was a pleasure! She was very prompt, exuberant without being fake, and attentive. It was really the best service I've ever had there, and she's a keeper. She hustled, and I swear, even whistled while she worked. I was very impressed.

THE AMBIANCE - this is the first time I've EVER seen anyone at the bar - and there were a lot of people - maybe 8-10. They weren't loud and didn't intrude on the relative quiet of the dining area, so that was a plus. There were more diners in there than I've seen any other time - certainly not full, but many tables had people. Often we're the only ones in there when we go (they have a great take-out option, so that could be a contributor).

RECOMMENDATION: For those who have read the past posts and decided not to go based upon them - I have seen more improvement each time I've gone, so I think those that used to like going might want to give it another try. If you haven't, you should - the food is definitely worth it.

Reviewed November 25, 2011

On my 2nd trip to this restaurant, I'd had a rough day, & was ready for a marguarita & laughs with my friends, so we asked to be seated in their 'overflow' room. I'd been impressed here prior, during a quick business lunch, whereby I'd witnessed kind treatment (but not charity) of an underprivileged person (wont elaborate for fear of non-needy copy-cats). My friends & I had lots to catch-up on, & even tho we werent in the main dining area, our server skillfully made himself available, without ever interrupting! Unlike many, he cheerfully accommodated our request for substitutions, as well as pleasing my finiky friend, serving her condiments in individual little bowls, without a deep breath, or indication of annoyance! Variety is excellent, even for non-meat eaters, with 'fish of the day' faitas, that turned out to be talipia! Everything was served quickly, fresh, hot & tasty. Combinations are inexpensive, and they've chosen specific combos that I constantly seek, but usually can't find! This friendly niche is in a large commercial complex, & a tad difficult to find the first time; I feel that's the only reason it isnt constantly crowded! Nothing I tried would have been too spicy for children, but several yummy, spicy sauces were right on the table for those of us who enjoy more flavor & spark!

1  Thank Lyndanal
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I love Monterey. They give you chips and salsa and their food is affordable. The seafood burrito is fantastic. You can get a huge beer for about $5. Good service, clean pleasant atmosphere.

1  Thank RussellandLora
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Ok, so the management changed and the changes were BAD but the food was still good…..
NOT ANYMORE!!
I hadn't been there in awhile, so we went this past weekend, first of all, everyone there had an attitude, the service was very slow, there were only 2 other couples and it took forever to get our food. Let me start from the beginning.

We arrived, were seated. It took 8 min. for us to get our chips and salsa, mind you, there were only 2 other couples there at the time.
Chips were stale, tasted like they had been in a plastic bag too long, they tasted plastic-y
Salsa was so watered down, you couldn't make out it was salsa, it had no taste.
We both ordered the carne asada breakfast, it took about 25 min. to come, and it was horrible. The steak my boyfriend got, smelled sour and tasted like it had gone bad. He sent it back and didn't want another one. Halfway into my steak, I hit a sour spot too, it almost made me throw-up, I was eating my steak, it wasn't good, but not that bad either and then I took a bite and YUCK...it was really bad, it smelled bad too.

I was already put off by my boyfriends steak being rank, the service, the tiny portions, the attitudes.....and now my steak was bad too, now I'm really mad. I just couldn't believe that this company could start off sooo good and go soooo bad in such a short time.

I am Mexican (Texan), I love my Tex/Mex food and this place was as close as I could get in the neighborhood for good Tex/Mex breakfast food, and now, the bad management has ruined everything.

I WANT PABLO BACK!!!

OK, sorry for my rant...anyway, we told the waiter that my steak was also bad; he said he could get me another one, but by then, I was ready to leave. He really didn't apologize, just kind of shrugged his shoulders and walked off with our food. We waited another 10-15 min. to get our bill which never came, we got tired of waiting and went to the cashier, I told her that the food was bad and that I had been coming there since it opened but that I was never coming back again. She didn't even blink an eye didn’t even look up at me…..and charged us full price for food we didn't eat. We were charged for 2 full meals when we only ate 1/2 a steak and 2 eggs a piece, no apology, no “can we take that off your bill”, nothing.

I WILL NEVER COME BACK HERE AGAIN....EVER.!!!