“Authentic”

Crystal Grottoes Caverns
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Boonsboro
More attraction details
Owner description: A forty-minute guided tour through brilliantly lighted chambers features the history, formations and geological aspects of the caverns.
Washington, DC
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Authentic”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

I expected a hokey experience with minimal geologic formations. So I was pleasantly surprised as that was not correct. The spaces were tight, so it may not be advisable if you are large or claustrophobic. Frankly if you have mobility issues it wont be a good idea. Also the proximity in tight spaces mean your co-visitors' personalities is important to the enjoyment. I was surprised to pay $20 for something I had never heard of before. The price seems high but it was the real deal. Much smaller scale than Luray though.

Frederick, Maryland
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Doesn't look like much on the surface, beautiful cave, with enthusiastic staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stopped at Crystal Grottoes, simply because I saw the sign for it on 70, and had nothing better to do. I'm really glad I stopped to check it out. It's a little pricy, but when you see the work they're doing down below, clearing out new areas, you'll understand the necessity for charging $20 per person.

Our tour guide, Kim, is very enthusiastic about the cave, and she really inspires interest in the guests.

I'll probably go back next year, because I'm really interested in seeing what else they've uncovered.

Visited September 2013
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Don't let the outside scare you away.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Nice cavern. Don't let the broken down sign at the entrance scare you away. It is a small nice cavern. Tour guide was knowledgeable and made the tour fun and interesting.

Visited August 2013
Myersville, Maryland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Not a Luray - but nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have been to Luray and to Carlsbad - this does not feature any huge spaces like those. It doesn't, however, have the hordes of people breathing down your neck either. We brought our family group of 11 and by phoning ahead, were able to get a reservation and half price tickets. We then got a private tour. Our tour guide was knowledgeable and didn't hurry us. The cave is tight in places and you are very close to the formations - and there are a lot of them. Kids enjoyed it.

Visited August 2013
San Jose, California
107 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 196 helpful votes
“A show cave that's expanding”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

If folks complain about the cost/size of going in a show cave, they need to realize that most of these are privately owned, and the lighting and labor involved isn't free. This is an average-sized show cave, with some interesting formations. I am frankly a cave fan, and admit it. Your mileage may vary. Every cave is different--and yet similar. This one I found interesting because of some of the growth of formations that was still ongoing and because our guide was obviously into caves and answered a lot of questions from the group. (I understand he got a lecture for taking too long with our tour, but I want the owner to understand that this young man made the tour truly special, and is one of the reasons why I am recommending this cave.)
The cave is still being excavated, and they are uncovering more and more to show folks as time goes on. The mud had been piling up for the last millenia or so, and they are still digging out rooms and expanding the tour. I look forward to going back in a few years and seeing what's new.

Visited July 2013