“Nice Ride”

Crystal Grottoes Caverns
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Boonsboro
More attraction details
Owner description: A forty-minute guided tour through brilliantly lighted chambers features the history, formations and geological aspects of the caverns.
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I havent been there for over 15 years but everyone interested in Geography should check this place out.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I took a grandson there when he was 10 - just about the upper age limit, I think. And even though it was pouring rain, it was quite wonderful, fairly short, and very educational.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We passed by Crystal Grottoes Caverns on our way to visit the battlefield at Antietam. It wasn't in our plan to visit the caverns but our family enjoys going to other caverns (e.g. Luray Caverns) so we decided to stop by on our way back from Antietam.

The building you arrive at isn't all that impressive as compared to Luray Caverns and was a bit hesitant when we arrived especially when I was told the price ($15 for adults and $10 for children).

We had a tour with Sonny who was very nice and knowledgeable about the formations. Our family essentially had a private tour since no one else was with us. We got to ask plenty of questions which we hadn't had the opportunity to ask at other caverns. Our six-year-old daughter liked being able to ask questions and get answers.

The tour lasted about 35 minutes which was about perfect for us after spending the day at Antietam. After the tour, I thought the entry fee was worth it.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Compared to other nearby caverns in neighboring Virginia such as Luray and Skyline, Crystal Grottoes is much smaller and the tours are shorter. The tour was something like 35 to 40 minutes long, but I would say that it was worth it because like other caverns, it is constantly 54 degrees in them year round, which makes them a great place to go to cool off in on a hot summer day. I have never visited a cavern in the winter although I would imagine it would also be a good experience because it would still be warmer in the caverns than outside of them. The formations in the caverns were very nice and the tour guide was very knowledgeable about both the history and science behind them.

As I said, the caverns are smaller than other nearby ones such as Luray and not only are the caverns smaller, but the office is as well, and there is no gift shop, but there is water available for purchase that comes in handy on hot days. There are picnic tables outside and there is plenty of shade available, so this is the kind of place where you'd have to bring your own meal. When people were gathering outside before a tour, one of the people working there let us all know when it was going to start and after the tour ended, he really appreciated the fact that we visited and enjoyed it. Overall, it was a nice little attraction to visit and I would recommend it to anyone who has an appreciation for nature.

Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

I have been to Crystal Grottoes several times with my kids, not one time did they ask about geology. They had a great time. The owner Mr. Downs is a the 3rd generation owner and is a little rough around the edges but it adds character to the place in a world that's to politically correct. The caretaker of this place has gone to great lengths to protect this national treasure. He also offers a reward to the person who finds the mystical drill bit that broke the opening. We will enjoy this place again it is a beautiful cave.

2  Thank only1kirk