Inn BoonsBoro
Bavarian Inn(Shepherdstown)
$185
$89
$81
All reviewsthe penthousenora robertsheated floorsother guestswine and cheese hourfantastic bed and breakfastprincess bridesitting roomfeel pamperedsocial hourkeurig machinetoilet seatcommon areasbelgian waffleseach morningthe entire staffcivil war battlefields
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Like staying in your wealthy Aunt's home! We loved it. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Lea was particularly knowledgable and proud to be an employee. Room very comfortable with nice touches...bathroom to die for. Nice breakfast with amiable service. Fun to stay in the place from the Boonsboro trilogy!

Cookies, chocolates, elegant and comfortable appointments. Fresh flowers in common areas and each room. Best yet, Ms. Roberts seems to be very concerned with using local artists, workers, and businesses, giving a small town an energizing boost to their economy. Way to go, Nora!

Room Tip: Theme rooms: pick your favorite "Happy Ending Couple!" Back rooms have less noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TLK22939
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have to say the 5 star rating is a weak 5 star. First most of this place is amazing. We were greeted by Ellen who is very charming. She took her time and gave us a tour of the public places in the inn. We stayed in the Jane and Rochester room which has a private entrance onto the back porch. That is the only entrance so to get to the house you have to cross the porch. I didn’t find that a problem. At first glance there was nowhere to hang coats until I found the coat rack on the back of the bathroom door. There were fresh flowers in the room and throughout the inn. The bed was comfy and the room elegantly appointed. Also there are honeysuckle reed scent dispensers around the inn – nice!

The bathroom is gorgeous. The floor as well as the towel rack is heated. There is a beautiful copper tub and a shower with a rain head and jets. Note to make the shower hotter you must push in the button on the knob. Nice techy toilet too.
Another touch I thought was wonderful is a lot of the things around the inn were local. The soaps/shampoos/lotions are made locally. Most of the paintings hung on the wall are by local artist and are available for purchase. Also the wine served in the evening was from a local winery.

On the down side, breakfast was not as good as expected. Breakfast is served buffet style. I did not care for the egg casserole which was cheese wrapped in eggs – very bland. There was bacon, potatoes, biscuits, oatmeal, and cereal. There was also fresh fruit which was nice. I was expecting a more upscale breakfast. A couple of other nits – plastic plates were used at the wine reception in the evening, the morning innkeeper wore jeans that were very tattered at the bottom and at breakfast, ketchup was served out of the plastic bottle. Normally I would not even mention these things except that this is an upscale inn and it’s the details that make a difference.

Room Tip: Jane and Rochester has a private entrance.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank GEOCacher
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The Inn Boonsboro is a lovely restored inn with a real eye to luxury. The beautiful rooms, fantastic bathrooms and really lovely public areas around the inn give each guest the ability to stay in the way they want to stay. Some B&B'ers like to have a lot of interaction with their host(s) and fellow guests and others prefer to tuck themselves away and relax. Inn Boonsboro really gives you the opporunity to take each day as you are in the mood for it.

Luxury rooms, extraordinary bathrooms!!

Room Tip: Some rooms have inside entrances while others have doors with outside entrances. Keep that in mind so you can choose your personal preference. I have stayed in the Penthouse as well as Wesley and Buttercup. Both are excellent and provide a bit more spreading out room with the Parlor.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Locals29
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at the Inn for the weekend while attempting the JFK 50 mile race. I completed 42 miles. I thought the inn was lovely and the personnel very welcoming and warm, but it was definitely a step down from full luxury (other than the bathrooms, which are astonishing). The tiny things that set the best places apart just weren't there. Some examples include 1) pretty subpar refreshments at the wine hour. It is a nice idea, but the quality of the refreshments was very mediocre; 2) no refreshment of the toiletries. I used more than 2/3 of the shower gel on the first day and did not get any more through the stay; 3) housekeeping left bits of sponge in the sink and dirt in the bottom of the bathtub; 4) at breakfast, the warmers were boiling splashing hot water all over everything; 5) the surface of the dresser in my room was left wet leading to wet papers, 6) there were no bedside lights in my room, while the light was sufficient, I had to get out of bed to turn any lights on or off

All of that said, I really enjoyed being there. The room was comfortable and the bathroom was amazing. I appreciate the individual thermostats and the heated bathroom floor as well as the lovely duvet. The people were very nice although there were so many different people, that it was unclear who who whom. The 1 breakfast I had was reasonable, although I thought it odd that there was no innkeeper around during the breakfast, just the cook. The building itself is beautiful and I enjoyed the little town.

Room Tip: Pictures of the rooms are on the website, so look at all of them to choose. Be aware that the slipper tubs are a bit odd, you can't really sit in them, you keep slipping
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
10  Thank scubed0127
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband got me a gift certificate to the inn for Christmas last year. We decided to stay there in conjunction with my birthday and a visit to the surrounding area. We love historic places, and this property really fits the bill. The inn is beautiful and the staff is exceptional. As an avid Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb reader, I chose the Eve & Roarke room. It is on the back of the inn so you avoid the Main Street traffic noise. The room is nicely appointed and has a semi-private balcony. But the bathroom is to die for. From the bathtub to the multi-head shower, heated floors and towel racks and state of the art toilet, the bathroom is a dream. Walking up to the toilet with its sensor that automatically opens and closes the cover and sitting on a heated seat is amazing. I tried out the wash and dry cycles on the toilet as well. Oh my!

We took advantage of the wine and cheese reception at 6:00 and enjoyed meeting the other guests. We had dinner next door at Dan's Restaurant, which I have reviewed separately but will state here that we had a good experience there as well. Following dinner we cozied up in the library in front of the fireplace with the provided Jameson before retiring for the night. Breakfast the next morning was very good with a nice variety of choices such as cereal, oatmeal, bacon and sausages, French toast, fresh fruit and sweet rolls from the bakery next door. They also offered made to order omelets.

We appreciated the fact that we could help ourselves to water or soda at any time, and I would be remiss not to mention the cookies that are always available. They were great! Over all, the inn exceeded our expectations and it was a central location for us to visit nearby Antietam National Battlefield and Harpers Ferry.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the inn are quieter than those on Main Street.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple