“SLOW Play”

The Links at Lighthouse Sound
More attraction details
Owner description: Lighthouse Sound is located just one mile west of Ocean City, on St. Martin's Neck Road. Designed by Arthur Hills, this exquisite championship course is situated on 1000 prime acres overlooking the Ocean City skyline and St. Martin's River. Home of the longest cart bridge in America.
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I love the course and it was in great shape even with the somewhat recent aeration but 5 hours and 20 minutes is too long, it ruined the experience. We got stuck directly behing 4 groups of high school girls. Now I have nothing against anyone playing or learning to play but you can't allow them to back up the entire course and ruin it for everyone else. They were trying to play from the white tees and none of them were experienced enough. They would have struggled from the red tees but atleast it would have helped. No rangers or forecaddies were seen the entire round. By the time we reached the 15th green, 4 golfers drove past us and said they quit due to taking too long. To throw salt in the wound, we caught crap from a guy, I presumed to be a coach, accusing us of hitting one shot that came too close to the 4 ladies in front of us on the 6th hole. As a paying customer, I don't appreciate being reprimanded by a coach that probably paid nothing and has the entire course backed up and I would hope Light House Sound management would not appreciate it either.

Kim R, Owner at The Links at Lighthouse Sound, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. I spoke with our pro, Scot and he would like to speak with you regarding this matter. Could you give him a call at 410-641-1189? The reason you didn't see a ranger or forecaddie was because he was with the group ahead of the young ladies trying to speed them along. They were beginners and were the ones slowing down the speed of play. Scot would like to speak with you and make sure you return a satisfied customer.

Thanks, Kim

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have had the pleasure of playing this fabulous course a few times and have always found it appropriately challenging and thoroughly enjoyable experience. The course is always maintained in top shape and a visit to Ocean City or anywhere on the Eastern Shore of Maryland would not be complete without a round here for the Golf enthusiast.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I am fortunate to have the opportunity to play a lot of golf on some of the better courses around the world. Last year on a trip to Hilton Head our group was advised by a number of other guys that obviously knew their golf to consider making our next trip to Ocean City and this year we did. It was a good choice. When we picked the courses we wanted to play we found they were all owned by Ruark Golf which meant we could book them all at once as if we used a golf travel company. The price was reasonable by Hilton Head standards, but expensive compared to Myrtle Beach - just under $100 a round, but that included some really good discounts on pro shop items which most of us used.

Lighthouse Sound was the last of four courses we played in the area and definitely the best. Although many courses boast holes that play along the ocean , it usually turns out there are houses, roads, whatever between the golfer and the ocean. Not so at Lighthouse which has some spectacular waterside holes. I'm not a big fan of Ocean City close up, but the views of the city from Lighthouse Point definitely are attractive.

The course was in great shape when we played, recovering I assume from the summer heat that always plagues Mid-Atlantic courses. Also, wildlife was abundant, pace of play was not an issue and the staff was courteous and professional, including a marshall who acted more as a fore caddie than a person you worried about seeing following your group. We saw none of the 'attitude' that others have commented upon.

We picked Lighthouse Sound because it recently returned to Golf Magazine's list of the top 100 courses the public can play and we were not disappointed.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is a very pretty and interesting golf course. BUT, it is very poorly run. We finished 9 holes after 3.5 hours. The back nine took only 2.25 hours. I asked why this intolerable slowness. Two reasons: (a) 9 minutes between tee times (pretty greedy if you ask me) and (b) no serious ranger policing to keep the slow golfers moving (Indeed, when I asked why the back 9 was so much quicker, I was told that the slow golfers got off the course. Yes, OK, but why didn't the rangers deal with this while they WERE on the course). It was cart paths only, so that excuses some of the problem. But, I was told the "normal" round is 4.5 hours, and I believe they mean at least 5 hours on any weekend day. So, DON'T PLAY ON THE WEEKEND......or after rain. Another nice course in the area is Baywood Greens up by Rehoboth and I've never had this horrible delay experience there.

1  Thank Pbaumbusch
Kim R, Owner at The Links at Lighthouse Sound, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

I'm sorry to hear you were unhappy with the pace of play at our course. We use a different "ranger" system and call them fore caddies. Since we have GPS, we can see immediately when a group falls behind time and send our fore caddy out to help spot balls and give assistance to that slower group. The fore caddy stays with the group until the catch up. I can assure you that we had fore caddies out that day but you wouldn't have seen them because they were with the groups causing the back up. We would like to speak with you regarding your concern. Can you call our general manager, Scot or give me your phone number? We would like to make sure you return a happy customer. We are on pace for 4.5 hour rounds daily and your experience was definitely out of the ordinary.
Thanks, Kim

Reviewed September 8, 2012

My friends and I always make it a point to play Lighthouse whenever we are in OC for our summer vacations, and I won't go back!!!

We were planning on playing Bear Trap Dunes on Monday, Sept. 3rd, but the course closed when a thunderstorm came through.

The VERY FIRST course I thought of playing after we left Bear Trap was Lighthouse. When we arrived at Lighthouse, I heard one of the starters say, "yeah, these two guys are dressed like golfers," meaning my friend and I, and assuming we were going to keep them there longer than they wanted to be when the sun was shining in the later afternoon. The golf shop staff were professional, as always...and VERY courteous! The men and women in your pro-shop have always been the BEST when it comes to customer service!!!

The starters, however, had MAJOR attitude with us showing up at 4pm for playing golf, even after I tipped one guy $5 for doing nothing. I asked if we could please squeeze 12 holes and he didn't respond, just gave me a "look." We were even 26 minutes ahead of schedule according to our cart's GPS after 9 holes.

If your starters don't want to be there when dusk comes at a golf course, find another job!!! I've worked at golf courses and you shouldn't have attitude when you are there late, that's the nature of the business. If the golf course didn't want us out there, and we were such a hassle to everyone, why didn't anyone say anything to us before we started??? We would have putted or just hit the driving range.

When we finished 11 holes because of darkness, we played 18 on the way in. When we drove all the way back and came down 18 and the starter came out and said, "what is wrong with you two, you don't look like guys that would do this??!!" "You kept us here too late," yelling at us at the top of his lungs. I didn't get his name but he was an older guy with glasses and dark hair. He rushed us off the golf course and we just picked up our balls. I told him to "smile, it was a holiday."

On top of all this, the greens were the worst I have ever seen at Lighthouse and don't look like they have been kept up lately.

I think the older guys starting need some lessons in customer service...I've never seen any staff member at Lighthouse have attitude the way they did!! NEVER AGAIN WILL I PLAY THERE!!!

4  Thank timoniumgolf
Kim R, Owner at The Links at Lighthouse Sound, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2012

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. Please call our general manager, Scot, at 410-352-5767. He's aware of your review and would like to speak with you about the situation.

Kim

Been to The Links at Lighthouse Sound? Share your experiences!