“Fun, local and across the street.”
Review of 202 Next Door

202 Next Door
Ranked #4 of 12 Bakeries in Bethesda
Reviewed January 28, 2017

We loved the atmosphere and bar. Great for tapas. Fun ! We enjoyed the Tapas concept, the extremely knowledgeable server, the lovely decor and most importantly, the delectable food. We enjoyed chorizo, steak, fish, shrimp based tapas and we did not want to leave. Manager is charming and vey cool.

Reviewed January 17, 2017 via mobile

I have a favorite breakfast place in Bethesda I try to visit at least once when I go to D.C. called Bold Bite. I love the flavorful donuts they make and the ridiculously good coffee. So I was surprised to see that they had broken through the wall and taken over the space next door. But instead of expanding Bold Bite, a breakfast and lunch place (the smoked burgers are also excellent) the owners decided to develop a Spanish-style tapas place. Knowing how good Bold Bite is I made reservations to go there that night (January 16th).

I went back there that night and was immediately impressed by the eclectic decor. Whoever designed the place hit the "modern American rustic chic" atmosphere nail right on the head. Huge blown up pictures of Spain's Rioja region and a living wall of green plants adorned the walls and distressed white-washed wood make the place feel light and airy yet still cozy. The result is a relaxed, laid back atmosphere that put me immediately at ease.

The staff is courteous and professional and seem to sport genuine smiles. Eddie was our waiter and he was very friendly and helped us sort through the menu, making some great suggestions.

I started with a large smoked! Gin and tonic concoction that came in a large wine glass and was delicious. I could have had several of those but stopped at one because the amazing little plates started coming out of the kitchen.

We had short ribs, mushroom croquettes (my favorite) Foie Gras croquettes (my second favorite) that melted in your mouth. Then came a steak tartar with a fried quail egg that was just ridiculous. After that, patatas bravas, a typical item that's made more interesting by being crispy. Garlic shrimp were cooked to perfection and I enjoyed sipping up the sauce with the crusty bread that just kept coming!

My wife had the churros for dessert and she liked it! I was way too full to have any dessert.

I highly recommend Tapabar! My wife and I had a lot of fun anticipating the next little dish and each one that came out was great!

Reviewed January 7, 2017

Had the meatballs, octopus, shrimp w/garlic, steak w/green sauce, lamb chops, churros, traditional potato omelet, beet salad, cauliflower and a pitcher of red sangria and one of white (this was for 4 people). The white sangria is better - light and sweet. The food all seemed to lie on a bed of light orange sauce - not sure what it was really. The food is presented nicely and comes out quickly, but it was pretty uninspiring. Not real flavors stand out. It was pretty expensive for the quantity of food.

Reviewed December 28, 2016

Was happy to see them finally open. Traditional tapas done well - nothing fancy. Their lamb meatballs were flavorful and the Tortilla Espanola was moist and tasty. Thought the cauliflower was a bit bland. Sangria was tasty and the pitchers are large! Will return, glad they are in the neighborhood.

Reviewed December 10, 2016

We've been here several times and will keep coming back. If you can make me excited to order roasted vegetables, you're doing something right. They take great care with ingredients and put the exact right sauce with them, like the salsa verde with perfectly cooked sirloin steak or gastrique with amazing bacon. The bartender knows what he's doing as well. Best of all, the check comes and it's less than you'd expect.