“A very expensive flee pit”

Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Washington DC
“A very expensive flee pit”
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Please do avoid this hotel. I was booked in for business for 5 nights but had to move halfway through the stay. I also experienced waking up with bites (fleas or bedbugs- not sure?). My reception on the first night after traveling for 30 hours non-stop was extremely poor to the point of being very distressing. The hotel generally looks unclean, the food at breakfast is cold- stone-cold and curling at the edges! The assistant manager- to whom I complained has not yet got back to me with any comments/recompense. I know they say they take dogs but I wouldn't personally take my dogs to this hotel. They deserve more! On the positive side I very much liked the friendliness of the kitchen/cleaning staff.‎

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
HotelResidenceInn, General Manager at Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown, responded to this review, August 3, 2010
I am truly sorry you had a less than acceptable stay. We do have a process in place that we follow to ensure that all rooms that are occupied with pets are cleaned. All items in the rooms are removed and professionally cleaned and returned once a guest with an animal has checked out. I am sorry the reception you received upon check in was not up to standards. I have reviewed your comments with our staff to ensure that all receive the highest levels of service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
New York
Reviewed March 3, 2010

We stayed three nights, and every morning I woke up with a rash that had worsened overnight. I am a cancer patient and called my hometown oncologist. He said to come to his office straightaway, don't even go home. When he saw me, he sent me to a dermatologist, who diagnosed bed bugs. I called the hotel to warn the manager. I later received a call from Marriott that a third-party pest control service had looked into it and no infestation had been found. What that means to me is that they didn't look hard enough: how else could bed bugs have bitten me anew every evening if they weren't in the hotel?

The Marriott Residence Inns are generally comfortable, they have a great breakfast buffet and the rooms are nice, but in this one they have an overnight buffet and the guests are what's for dinner. Try somewhere else.

1 Thank Sid1969
I am truly sorry you had a less than acceptable stay. We take comments like this very seriously. Upon reciept of the call, after you had already departed, we immediately took the room out of service. As per procedure we manually checked the room, then we brought in a third party inspector whose is certifed in bed bug inspection and fumigation to come and check the room. Fortunately we had no bed bugs in the room. I am sorry that your stay was not what you had expected. We take pride in our service and hope this stay is not a reflection on that of Marriott.
Mt Holly, NJ
Reviewed March 2, 2010

My wife and I are very self-sufficient, but still enjoy aminities, such as the ones advertised for this hotel; friendly customer service and a hot nutritious breakfast. Our check-in was uneventful and quick. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. We enjoyed the valet personnel openning the front door for us whenever we left or returned to the hotel. These simple things were important because the nature of our strip was a stressful one-not at all leisurely-visiting a very sick friend in the hospital.
The first day's breakfast was delicious, with eggs, turkey sausage and waffles. However, the day we were to check out, the customer service changed. First, the breakfast was terrible! The eggs were overcooked, and the sausage and waffles were cold and hard. I could not cut the waffle with a metal knife and fork. Except for the oatmeal-the food waseither cold, stale or, in the case of fruit, so unripe it was hard and sour. As we prepared to leave; no one could be reached at the front desk; and, we were unable to reach the hotel operator. Once they were reached-after 3 attempts of letting the phone ring for more than 20 times each; we requested our car from valet parking. We got our belongings and got on the elevator with another family. The doors opened on the next floor where a couple with the valet and the luggage cart was waiting. The couple stated they would wait-but the valet told everyone to move aside and we could all fit. We were crunched like sardines-with barely enough room to breath. The couple apologized, but the valet kept saying, it's okay, we have plenty of room. If someone wanted only a warm, clean bed and comfortable room without the amenities, thei was definitely the place-but for things like consistent customer service, it was lacking

Washington, DC area
Reviewed February 14, 2010

Came to this hotel during a recent snowstorm that left our nearby home powerless. Made a reservation through Marriott Rewards (I am a totally loyal Marriott customer) while confirming that this property was Pet Friendly. I was told of no special fees and given a price only for the room. When I showed up with my dog, it was explained that there would be a single non-refundable charge of $200 for cleaning and $10 per night for the pooch. I was surprised since no mention was made when the reservation was taken by an operator who clearly knew I had a dog with me. In any event, I took the room but noticed other customers around the lobby complaining about the exorbitance of what seemed like a less-than-fully-disclosed charge for pet owners.

After checking out after just one night (our home power was restored ) I thought I would call the manager, Ed Pavia, to simply let him know that I was disappointed by the amount of the fee and the lack of clarity about the charges at the time the reservation was taken. My call was intercepted by a perfectly friendly and well meaning front desk employee who offered to refund $100 of the pet charge. I thanked him, but said that I still wanted to speak to Mr. Pavia before concluding the matter. He transferred me to the manager’s line and I left a message for him to call me back.

My phone rang several hours later and it was not the manager, but the Front Desk attendant. He left a voice message telling me that he could not refund the $100. I called Mr. Pavia back and got him on the line. I explained my discontent with the charges and he said that they were fair and would not be able to offer me money back. I then told him that the Front Desk attendant, Salmon, had already offered me $100. His monotone and ever-so-slightly disbelieving response was "I will have to check with him." He promised to call me back.

Four hours later, having received no return call, I called Mr. Pavia back. I asked if he had a chance to verify my story and his curt response was:” I am in a meeting and will have to call you back." First, who tells a customer that they can't speak with them because they are in a meeting.? Secondly, after another 48 hours, he never called me back. It finally took a call to Marriott Corp Headquarters to get some action. They naturally refunded the $100 promised to me.

Marriott runs the best hotels. This hotel is actually beautiful. But Marriott needs to better supervise their managers and acquaint them with the old adage: The Customer is Always Right.

1 Thank TravelerusInterpidus
HotelResidenceInn, General Manager at Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown, responded to this review, August 4, 2010
Our hotel accepts pet based on a $200 non refundable fee. This is the cost to have our rooms professionally cleaned after they have departed. We do this for every pet room regardless of the size, age, or type of pet. Additional fees can be incurred if the animal does damage. This is present on the website which this reservation was booked, as well as explained at check in. If the guest does not agree then we cna not check them in due to the cost of cleaning the rooms and the benefits to all guests. We were happy to meet this gentleman halfway to refund $100 since he explained he had no idea there was a charge. I am sorry that my response was viewed as rude and uncaring, that is not who I am but apologize regardless. I do hope you do not view this as a lack of service at Marriott, and hope you try us again in the future.
California
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Nice, clean hotel. Stayed for 5 days and was very satisfied with the entire experience. Will stay again when in Bethesda traveling to NIH. Close to many fine restaurants and places of interest.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Atlanta
Reviewed January 29, 2010

The staff was friendly and helpful upon our arrival. The hotel was clean and current. Our room was clean and nice and of course there are the Marriott beds. which are the most comfortable anywhere hands down! Flat screen tvs in LR and BR. Breakfast on second floor was fine. I don't know what some people were expecting. It is a hotel breakfast bar. If you are calorie conscious there is fruit and yogurt. Hot food was ok but when was buffet style hot food on steam table ever great? Location was excellent, walk to metro etc. Valet at front door. They welcomed my dog. There was a hefty pet deposit, but for once I didn't have to stay at a dump to accommodate my dog.

• Stayed December 2009
USA
Reviewed January 11, 2010

We chose the Residence Inn because it was located on the red metro line, was affordable and included breakfast. We were very pleased. The hotel is a short 5 minute walk from the metro station. It is a clean and attractive hotel. Our room included a bedroom and sitting room, complete with dining table and small, fully equipped kitchen. The bathroom was nice and spacious. The complimentary breakfast was extensive, especially considering that most hotels do not include breakfast. It included hot oatmeal, eggs, hash browns, bread and bagel assortment, yogurt, fruit, etc. The area around the hotel is very nice. Lots of upscale shops and restaurants. We felt very safe walking around the area.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethesda
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
Bethesda Marriott Suites
#2 of 11 in Bethesda
Upper Northwest
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chevy Chase Pavilion

Been to Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown? Share your experiences!