“Beware of Rude Manager!”

Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Reviewed February 14, 2010

Came to this hotel during a recent snowstorm that left our nearby home powerless. Made a reservation through Marriott Rewards (I am a totally loyal Marriott customer) while confirming that this property was Pet Friendly. I was told of no special fees and given a price only for the room. When I showed up with my dog, it was explained that there would be a single non-refundable charge of $200 for cleaning and $10 per night for the pooch. I was surprised since no mention was made when the reservation was taken by an operator who clearly knew I had a dog with me. In any event, I took the room but noticed other customers around the lobby complaining about the exorbitance of what seemed like a less-than-fully-disclosed charge for pet owners.

After checking out after just one night (our home power was restored ) I thought I would call the manager, Ed Pavia, to simply let him know that I was disappointed by the amount of the fee and the lack of clarity about the charges at the time the reservation was taken. My call was intercepted by a perfectly friendly and well meaning front desk employee who offered to refund $100 of the pet charge. I thanked him, but said that I still wanted to speak to Mr. Pavia before concluding the matter. He transferred me to the manager’s line and I left a message for him to call me back.

My phone rang several hours later and it was not the manager, but the Front Desk attendant. He left a voice message telling me that he could not refund the $100. I called Mr. Pavia back and got him on the line. I explained my discontent with the charges and he said that they were fair and would not be able to offer me money back. I then told him that the Front Desk attendant, Salmon, had already offered me $100. His monotone and ever-so-slightly disbelieving response was "I will have to check with him." He promised to call me back.

Four hours later, having received no return call, I called Mr. Pavia back. I asked if he had a chance to verify my story and his curt response was:” I am in a meeting and will have to call you back." First, who tells a customer that they can't speak with them because they are in a meeting.? Secondly, after another 48 hours, he never called me back. It finally took a call to Marriott Corp Headquarters to get some action. They naturally refunded the $100 promised to me.

Marriott runs the best hotels. This hotel is actually beautiful. But Marriott needs to better supervise their managers and acquaint them with the old adage: The Customer is Always Right.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravelerusInterpidus
HotelResidenceInn, General Manager at Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2010

Our hotel accepts pet based on a $200 non refundable fee. This is the cost to have our rooms professionally cleaned after they have departed. We do this for every pet room regardless of the size, age, or type of pet. Additional fees can be incurred if the animal does damage. This is present on the website which this reservation was booked, as well as explained at check in. If the guest does not agree then we cna not check them in due to the cost of cleaning the rooms and the benefits to all guests. We were happy to meet this gentleman halfway to refund $100 since he explained he had no idea there was a charge. I am sorry that my response was viewed as rude and uncaring, that is not who I am but apologize regardless. I do hope you do not view this as a lack of service at Marriott, and hope you try us again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown

Reviewed February 8, 2010

Nice, clean hotel. Stayed for 5 days and was very satisfied with the entire experience. Will stay again when in Bethesda traveling to NIH. Close to many fine restaurants and places of interest.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 29, 2010

The staff was friendly and helpful upon our arrival. The hotel was clean and current. Our room was clean and nice and of course there are the Marriott beds. which are the most comfortable anywhere hands down! Flat screen tvs in LR and BR. Breakfast on second floor was fine. I don't know what some people were expecting. It is a hotel breakfast bar. If you are calorie conscious there is fruit and yogurt. Hot food was ok but when was buffet style hot food on steam table ever great? Location was excellent, walk to metro etc. Valet at front door. They welcomed my dog. There was a hefty pet deposit, but for once I didn't have to stay at a dump to accommodate my dog.

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed January 11, 2010

We chose the Residence Inn because it was located on the red metro line, was affordable and included breakfast. We were very pleased. The hotel is a short 5 minute walk from the metro station. It is a clean and attractive hotel. Our room included a bedroom and sitting room, complete with dining table and small, fully equipped kitchen. The bathroom was nice and spacious. The complimentary breakfast was extensive, especially considering that most hotels do not include breakfast. It included hot oatmeal, eggs, hash browns, bread and bagel assortment, yogurt, fruit, etc. The area around the hotel is very nice. Lots of upscale shops and restaurants. We felt very safe walking around the area.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2009

We just returned from a brief trip to DC and the Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown was absolutely perfect. The setup is great for families - we have an infant and we could put her down to sleep in the bedroom, close the door, and still talk and hang out in the living room area. The kitchen was also very useful for washing bottles and storing leftovers. The staff was wonderfully friendly and attentive. Valet parking was amazingly fast and the complimentary breakfast, while not delicious, offered a wide array of foods that did the trick (I'd recommend the cereals, yogurt, oatmeal, and toast). The rooms were very clean and there waseven free wireless internet! The location is also only a block from dozens of restaurants and shopping - we couldn't have asked for a better location in Bethesda. I would highly recommend this hotel for all families or anyone who just wants a little more space in a still very convenient location.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 11, 2009

Had a wonderful stay at the Residence Inn Bethesda. Travelled with my family of five and another family. Parking and check-in was no problem at all. Valet parking. Rooms were very nice, 2 queen beds very comfortable. Large living room and full kitchen. Its nice to have the extra space for a family as big as ours. Roof top pool was essential in August and after long hot hours of touring DC. Location was great as it was less expensive to stay outside of DC and take the Metro in. The metro was literally 1.5 blocks from the hotel. Breakfast was included, a very nice buffet. About two blocks, and a VERy charming walk, there is a hopping restaurant/shopping area. Would have loved to explore this more with out our young kids!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 6, 2009

My wife and I spent 6 vacation days here. It was all that we wanted it to be.

We wanted separation between the bedroom and the rest of the apartment, and we got it. There was a kitchenette with plates and utensils for 4, small dining area, chair and sofa and TV in the living area; a king sized bed, chest of drawers and TV in the bedroom. The cleaning staff did an excellent job and did the dishes each day. The rooms were great.

The inn as a block and a half from the Metro, which will whisk one to the Smithsonian stop in 21 minutes, including transfer; and it was 2 blocks from restaurant row. The staff was alway helpful and friendly. Parking is $18 per day with valet service.

Breakfast is detailed by others, suffice it to say that the choice of foods is good and the quality is okay. On Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursday a small buffet dinner is provided at no additional cost. A menu was on the door of our refrigerator.

Weekday rates were about twice the cost of weekend rates, so we rescheduled our trip and save about $400.

The only negative thing I can say about this Inn is that the pillows were too soft for both my wife and myself.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple