“Great hotel in a great location”

Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Reviewed July 18, 2014

The Residence Inn Bethesda is in a great location close to downtown and a short walk from the Bethesda Metro station. The hotel is very clean and updated and seems a step above a typical Residence Inn. Service was very friendly and efficient. The rooms are spacious and modern with a lot of space at a desk to conduct business. I was in a one bedroom suite. There was a separate bedroom with two queen beds. Also a living room - dining room -desk combo and a separate small but very functional kitchen. I was here solo on a business trip but this room would also be great for a small family. Free WiFi throughout the hotel though the speed could have been faster.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

Pluses:
- 4 minutes/1 traffic light Bethesda row restaurants and shops
- 3 minutes from metro stop
- large size rooms, well lit, ok furniture. The hotel is new which is always a plus.
- room price and valet parking were ok but do request your car by phone 2 minutes before coming down. Friendly valet staff.

Minuses:
- rooms lack medium term perks (large closets or drawers, clothes drying line etc)
- very small sofa bed (full-size instead of the standard queen sofa bed in other places)
- room cleaningness can be improved (kitchen cabinets, bathroom etc)
- breakfast could be improved (not much choice except for the freedom to make your own waffle). Breakfast hours could be maybe extended in the summer? Staff did not have any flexibility after 9:30.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is located in downtown Bethesda, Maryland. The location is wonderful because it is around the corner from the metro which takes you straight into the hustle and bustle of Washington DC and brings you right back to the quiet tree-lined streets of Bethesda.

Again, the location is key because you are walking distance to shops, a large Barnes and Noble, and lots of restaurants. The hotel is also nestled in a residential zone which leads to the NIH military hospital if you keep walking.

Now for the hotel itself. If you are familiar with most Residence Inns then you will know this is not a full service hotel. With that being said you do have the comforts of a larger room with a separate bedroom a small kitchen, and a small living / eating area. Whenever I take longer trips I prefer this to being crammed in a small room. They do have grocery delivery service or you can take a short walk to the grocery store as well. I mostly ate out. Next door to the Residence Inn is a full service Hilton which has a restaurant and bar if you needed to have those amenities. The rooms were clean and neat. The hotel staff was friendly and housekeeping did a great job. The daily receptions had mediocre food, at best, but they did have a nice selection of wine and cheese which may the evening go by nicely after a hard day of work.

There wasn't a whole lot to say as far as the lobby which was very small and the common areas which seemed adequate. I believe the best part of the hotel was the large room, reception and definitely the location. By the end of the day it's nice to stay in Bethesda to wind down. The metro ride into Washington DC was not more than 15 to 20 minutes and along the way they were shopping malls, one was even accessible through the metro.

I would stay again, just because of these small features. Now I've stayed at better Residence Inn, however for this area this would be my location of choice. Especially if I'm staying for more than a week.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Our room was lovely and well appointed, the hotel is quiet, the staff is friendly and efficient, and the subway is a block away across the street. The breakfast was great and the pool delighted my kids after a long drive. We chose this hotel in part because it was close to the Metro Red Line but there was weekend track work requiring us to transfer to free shuttle buses. Luckily we had allowed extra time to get into DC to meet a guided tour we had booked. We definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 6 weeks recently. The staff like Jamie and Wasel were always extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were fairly large for suites and the cleaning staff always kept things in order. The breakfast was good as well as the dinners, which is only on Tues - Thurs. I think staying so long made me find it like home. I think I became a fixture. Great location from restaurants and the metro.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank scnetsec
Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

This property is very well maintained. First glance at the outdated entrance to the lobby made me kind of on edge. Before I even got the bags out of the car, I had my wife check out the room. The room had the updated Residence Inn 1 bedroom we like with the granite counters and stainless steel appliances. Had a great week long stay. Took advantage of the evening meal 2 or 3 nights. Decent food for meat eaters. I had a salad. Our son enjoyed the chicken wings and the burgers. Ate breakfast every day. Hit or miss. One day oat meal good next day not worth a darn. Parking is $20 per day unlimited valet. All the staff was extremely helpful and friendly. Tip: public rail transportation just up the street. Easy to get in and out DC.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Shelly S, General Manager at Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Hello PutJer1,

We are happy to hear that you had a great week long stay and you were able to join us for breakfast and our evening social event. I will certainly share your review with our breakfast staff to ensure our oatmeal is consistently good each day. Great tip regarding the metro which is just a block away. It really is the easiest way to visit DC and all the sights. Thank you for staying with us while visiting DC.

Kind Regards,

Shelly Saunders

Reviewed June 27, 2014

Decent location in Bethesda, good breakfast, just didn't have the friendliest experience with the staff. (for now reason.. just not that accommodating or willing to help out) Rooms are large, somewhat dated. Kitchen seemed equipped, but didn't use it. It is a fair hike to the nearest grocey, btw. Overall pricy for what you get.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank veffekt
Shelly S, Manager at Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2014

Hello Veffekt,

Thank you taking the time to review your recent stay at the Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our downtown location, as well as our complimentary full hot breakfast. Please accept my apologies for the experience that you had with our staff. Our goal is to provide service that exceeds our guests expectations. Unfortunately with your stay we did not meet that goal. We would certainly appreciate the opportunity to find to out specifics about your stay so we can identify the room that needs repair and as well as determine what we can do to restore your faith in our hotel. You may contact me at ri.wasbr.gm@marriott.com or call the hotel directly at 301-718-0200. I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards,