New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown

Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Clayton, Missouri
“Not a bad option, especially for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our family visited the DC area and stayed at the Bethesda Residence Inn. The location was convenient, though the access for parking and valet was not especially so. The rooms were considerably smaller than previous Residence Inns that I have visited, and the hotel was a little bit more run down than I expect for a Marriott brand hotel. In fact, our door locking mechanism broke during our stay, and it was a bit of a hassle to fix. The furniture was worn, and my son was aghast at the stains on the mattress of the pullout sofa.

The breakfast was better than expected, usual buffet fare, but lots of it and better quality than most in the "free breakfast" category. Valet parking was prompt and efficient at all times of the day. The location is very close to the Metro and to all of the downtown Bethesda restaurants, stores, and services.

I did not visit the exercise facility, eat any additional meals, or use any other services.

I would return for the price (we paid a special rate of $109/night), but I would also probably look to stay in a different location, depending on the purpose of my trip.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank RYKan
Shelly S, General Manager at Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Hi RYKan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us. Please accept my apology for the challenge you had with door lock as well as the condition of the sofa bed mattress. We recently replaced some of the electronic cards in our locks and there seemed to have been a fault in that particular card. It is always nice to hear that we exceeded expectations with our breakfast and the efficiency of our valet. I will share you comments with our hotel staff to ensure we continue to do so.

Shelly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Stayed 4 days @ Bethesda Residence Inn by Marriott this past week. Have stayed there several times in the past. Staff is friendly, rooms are spacious and reasonably priced and buffet breakfast is tasty and a good value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Pendleton, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Just spent two nights at the Residence Inn in Bethesda, MD. The staff was very friendly, the room spacious, the bed very comfortable, and the kitchen well equipped. The Inn was located about 1/2 block away from the entrance to the Metro, which was very important since I didn't want to rent a car.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Martha R
Shelly S, General Manager at Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hi Martha,

We are happy that our staff, suite and location made your stay in Bethesda a good one. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We hope to hae you stay with again in the future.

Kind Regards,

Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Residence Inn Bethesda is well located, about a block from the Metro, & with lots of good restaurants
nearby. We had a one bedroom suite, two TV's. Very clean. Bed comfortable. Good shower. Good housekeeping service. Free breakfast was exceptionally good.
The overnight valet parking costs $20/day. Car retrieval was mostly very prompt, with only 1 or 2 times when
they were slow. On checkout, we were mysteriously overcharged $100 for the room, which was quickly
corrected. Would certainly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Rooms in back may be quieter than those facing Wisconsin Ave.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Buzzy,

Thank you for the review on our hotel. I will certainly share your comment with all of our staff . It always reinforces how important they are to making our guests stay a great one. Please accept my apology for the billing error. I'm glad we were able to rectify prior to your departure. We look forward to hosting you again soon.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This has to be one of the best non-luxury brand hotels around. You start the experience off with Valet parking (not your typical experience for similar brand hotels). The Valet's are incredibly nice (my four year old daughter loved them all). The hotel is midrise giving the immediate impression of a city (rather than suburb) type hotel. The rooms are your typical Residence Inn suite type rooms. The free breakfast is really great here including a great hot buffet.

Why you'l truly love this place is the location, however. You'll soon realize you are easy walking distance to both restaurant/shopping areas of Bethesda which is a good eating/night life town.

For local Bethesda residents who need a hotel for friends and relative coming for visits, this should be your first pick. Every friend or family members of mine who has stayed here has been very pleasantly surprised, including the ones who feel like they always have to stay at luxury brand hotels.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank caazmark
Hi Caazmark,

Thank you for the great review. I've shared it with our teams and they are thrilled to get such an awesome review. Your comments regarding our valet reinforces how important first impression upon arrival is. Thank you again. We are happy to take care of you and your friends and family whenever your in Bethesda.

Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I am writing this while I am still at the hotel. I thought I would write this after I got back home, but tonight was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Residence Inn is a great chain. The have a wonderful concept for a hotel and some locations fully embrace that concept and provide not only a wonderful breakfast, but also a really great evening meal. This location however, is not one of those locations.

The hotel is really a nice hotel. It is a very convenient location that is about a half a block away from the Bethesda Metro elevator. The hotel has wonderful furniture and just about everything in terms of being a hotel are top notch. This is really a great location and you couldn't ask for a more convenient place to stay. It is a few blocks from quite a few restaurants and a very safe location to stay in.

Now back to that breakfast. I stayed here for several days. When I leave, it will have been six days. Quite a long haul and I guess most people don't stay that long. This makes things like the breakfast very important to me because I appreciate quality in the food that I eat as well as variety. I am no so sure you get both here. You do get free breakfast. But it seems to be the exact same breakfast. Scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage patties or turkey bacon. There are other stuff....like waffles or stale bread, but I am on a high protein diet and can't have carbs.

There is an evening meal/snack that they offer on Tuesday through Thursday. Tuesday it was BBQ chicken. I am guessing the immigrant workers they have working here don't have BBQ back where the come from, least they would have actually had BBQ sauce out to put on the chicken! Also, they wouldn't have baked the chicken in pans and made them hard as rocks. But if you didn't like that chicken, they gave you another opportunity because the next night they had fajitas with, yes, the left over BBQ....eh, baked chicken. The cut it into strips and throw it into a big serving dish...the same one that the scrambled eggs go in for breakfast...and that is their version of fajitas. No onions...no bell peppers....no taco or salsa flavoring.

And what probably ticked me off the most was the complete lack of anything to drink if you were on a sugar free diet. I asked the staff and they said I could have hot coffee....hot tea.....lemonade or water but nothing cool that like ice tea. I did complain to the front desk after the Tuesday night pretend BBQ chicken night but apparently customer complaints and suggestions are not that valued.

I do stay at Residence Inn a lot. I am a Marriott Gold Rewards member but that fact was lost on the staff when I complained about the lack of a drink for people who don't want sugar drinks. Let's see what they say when I write into Marriott to complain off the Rewards website.

This is a very nice hotel for sleeping. The bedding is comfortable and the heater/AC works very well. The plumbing has some problems as the hot water couldn't hold the same temperature for over 10 seconds.The bath towels are not that soft but they weren't sand paper like a recent Courtyard I stayed at in Phoenix at the airport, but they could be softer.

Now for the $100,000 question. Would I stay here again? No and yes. No, not if the other Residence Inn I like to stay at is available. The RI at Arlington Courtyard is my preferred choice even though it is farther away and takes a subway transfer to get to where I need to go. Yes, if nothing else if available.

Overall I am guessing this hotel was sold and bought by some group that is cutting corners to save money and maximize profits. I understand that but for a little extra, they could first class and get more business making even more profit. I might be a dinosaur and my expectations are so over the top that the hotel will laugh when the read this and order more ice water for the evening meal, but I am hoping that my comments make them take some action and increase the quality and variety of the food they serve.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank daf62757
Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

We had 15 family members staying here for a Bar Mitzvah. The rooms were all clean, very large, newly renovated, well stocked. The staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast had a wide selection. We chose this hotel after looking at 4 others in the area. The location is central and an easy walk to the metro and restaurants. Our guests mostly used the county lot around the corner, which is free on the weekends, to avoid the valet cost.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Maddy003
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bethesda
Hyatt Regency Bethesda
#4 of 11 in Bethesda
4.0 of 5 stars 378 reviews
Upper Northwest
Embassy Suites by Hilton Chevy Chase Pavilion

Been to Residence Inn Bethesda Downtown? Share your experiences!