WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Florida
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

It is an older property with VERY small bathrooms. My daughter killed a couple of bugs near her bed. It was clean, but they do charge for parking, free wifi is only available in public areas and it is not in a walkable location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

As I was coming in to the Washington, DC area, I realized that I was not going to make my target of Frederick, VA before nightfall, so I pulled off at rest stop and took a look at what was in my path. Spying the Bethesda Marriot was just off the Capital Beltway, I actually checked my preferred hotels of Hilton and Hyatt first and found they were booked! I thought that was odd for the middle of the week, and there was nothing going on to suggest it should be that way, so I checked in with the Marriot Hotel.

It appeared there was a conference going on there, but the hotel had ample rooms available and the warm welcome I received after a day on the road from NY made it easy. As I got into my room and collapsed on the bed, I noted the best thing above all: the bed was fabulously comfortable and clearly rivaled my new Tempurpedic for a best night's sleep. I made a point of not going anywhere that evening and simply counted sheep...1-2-3-zzzz.

In the morning, I went to breakfast before checking out. I found the hotel restaurant to be both clean and efficient as I flirted with the lunch menu to go. I scooped up the waitress' suggestion of the crab cakes and took them go. They were stunning as I was sitting in traffic near Dale City, VA.

In review, the Bethesda Marriot was a really good choice to visit and I wished I could have stayed another night.

Room Tip: Don't worry about the money or try to save a $1 by going into the heart of metro-area Washington...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
North Royalton, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Amid residential properties sits this Marriott. I was amazed by the staff. The were cordial, almost to the point of being overly friendly. Staff in the hallways were asking me how were our accommodations. I found that odd but in a nice way. The room was clean and well equipped. Like other reviewers, the only fault I have is WHY must they charge for internet and parking? Not every guest is there for business, where employers pick up these extra charges. A special note to the maintenance staff, please replace the light bulbs in the indoor pool area... 11... yes, eleven were burned out!!!

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor facing pool...with a VERY dirty window!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is an older hotel that could use some updating. There is only one restaurant option for breakfast lunch or dinner. Food is ok. The location is fine except that you can't walk to any restaurant or shopping area. It is probably 2 miles to restaurants in downtown Bethesda or the other direction up Rockville Pike. I have also stayed at the Marriott Suites which is near this hotel and it is much better and closer to restaurants etc. The staff was very friendly and the room was clean.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hollywood, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Pulling up to the hotel I questioned whether we had made a good decision to stay here for an anniversary celebration. I arrived ahead of my husband, in that we were coming into town from work obligations. The interior of the hotel has been kept up to date and was pristine. The staff I encountered at the front desk was professional, courteous and attentive. We had a wonderful stay, although it was brief and we did not get to enjoy the restaurant, pool or other amenities in that we had plans out on the town and had to depart early for work the next morning. The rooms were on the smaller side, but were beautifully appointed. Bathroom was very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable, We will definitely return next time we have a need to stay in Bethesda and would recommend it to others as well. My lasting impression was how attentive the staff was to their guests....greetings whenever coming and going in the hallways, lobby, etc. it made us slow down and enjoy the moment in an often rushed world.

Room Tip: Room was excellent, just a little on the small side, but we had plenty of room for the two of us.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott for a NIH meeting and being a fairly common business traveler in the past and liked Marriotts, I was surprised to find this hotel a little dated and past it's prime. Definitely acceptable, good breakfast reasonably priced. Off the beaten path so couldn't walk around town and the restaurants but instead, you would need a car.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Frankfort, Illiois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I have been travelling to the Bethesda area for the past 5 years for follow up visits at NIH. I was dissatisfied with nearby "moderately priced" hotels in Bethesda (one in particular is scarier than the Bates Motel), and grew tired of taking the Metro to Rockville to stay at a Best Western property.

The social worker at NIH suggested the Marriott at Pooks Hill, and I am glad she did! This property is competitively priced, clean, modern, and offers shuttle service to NIH and nearby restaurants (south in Bethesda, north to the White Flint mall).

The staff is friendly and courteous, and very accommodating. The room was clean and the king-sized bed was quite comfortable. I will definitely choose this property when I return fo NIH.

My only regret? Not finding out about the Marriott Pooks Hill sooner!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo