“Good Location for a DC visit”

Hyatt Regency Bethesda
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
San diego
“Good Location for a DC visit”
Reviewed April 19, 2007

My family of four stayed here for 4 nights on the 4th floor. Would recommend a higher floor because you can smell thr garlic from the Mortons steak house restaurant on the first floor. The room is a little cramp but the bathroom is a good size and the shower delivers a good strong water flow. I enjoy my showers. My rate was $119/night.

Once you walk in, the hotel reminds you of an Embassy Suites without the suites. It is a basic hotel with two pretty good restaurants Mortons Steak house and the Daily Grill which are both pricey. The best part of this hotel is that it is on the Red line of the Metro which is about an 18 minute metro ride to either the Chinatown stop or Union Station in DC for all your tours and museums.

Nearby about two blocks is Elm Street which has a movie theatre and a restaurant district. I had dinner at an excellent tapas restaurant and dinner at a Vietnamese restaurant called the Green Papaya.

Oh for those travelling to Bethesda via Baltimore/Washington Airport the cab ride was $75 to Bethesda without tip and without traffic. To the airport without traffic and without tip was $60. Traffic can be verrry verrry bad at certain times of the day

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Miker422

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 14, 2007

I live in DC and stayed here for a wedding. Found the place a great place and the location was wonderful. The metro is located right at the entrance to the hotel and the there are a number of great restaurants in the immediate area, including a couple of nice restaurants in the hotel itself.

The hotel was clean, if just a little dated, but nothing to be concerned about. If you are staying on a weekend (like I did) please note that any of the county run garaged are free. There is one located behind the hotel (the one attached and below the hotel is not free for the weekend).

This is a great place for a family visiting DC and don't want to pay downtown DC prices. It is in a very safe and affluent community.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Capitol_Explorer
VT
Reviewed March 27, 2007

Stayed here because it was the site of a seminar for my husband. I used the Metro every day into DC and that was exceptionally convenient.
Check-in was very welcoming, and the bell man was most helpful. From there on the staff didn't seem to go out of the way to make the stay memorable.
It irks me to spend as much for a hotel and have an additional charge for the Internet, but "upscale" hotels do this because they can. There was no indication of the charge in the room, and I had to accept the terms of the arrangement before the charge was displayed on the screen. I then declined the service and connected by phone at cost of $1 for a persistent, all day connection, A bit slower but made me feel better.
Worst type of coffee makers - the kind that has a plastic tray , bad coffee and makes one cup. We went out and bought a 10-cup coffee maker rather than pay $7 plus all the other charges to get coffee delivered to the room. No refrigerator or mini-bar, which for a 10 day stay is less than convenient.
Finally, the bed. We were in a double room and the bed was fine. The bedding, however, was NOT. The mattress pad and sheet would not stay in place, and we ended up with lumps underneath us every night. Housekeeping came and tried their best to make it better, with no good results.
What do I want most in a hotel room? Comfortable bed. Didn't get it here.
The desk chair had the padding peaking through the worn arms.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Bed
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank VTLongTimeTraveler

Travelers are raving about these Bethesda hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 20, 2007

My family and I recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda for two nights. We were in the area to visit all of the sites in Washington DC. We booked through Priceline and got a great price for $50 a night. (Parking though was an additional $10 a night if you did not need in and out priviledges - $15 per night if you do. We also took the advice of another reviewer and self-parked to save the extra money that would have been spent if we used the valet.) We did not have to move the car because we took advantage of the Washington DC subway system. The subway station for Bethesda is right below the hotel - very convenient. Upon arrival, my mother (who had the larger party) was upgraded to a larger room with a seating area without having to ask and about a half an hour after checking in the front desk called up to the rooms to make sure that our accomodations were acceptable and to see if we needed anything else. The rooms were clean and nice sized. The inside of the hotel is impressive and the beds comfortable. The kids loved the indoor pool located on the top floor. The exercise room is a little small for a hotel that large, my husband was disappointed slightly in that. I would never have paid the rack rate of almost $200 a night to stay there (but then again, to be honest, I wouldn't spend $200 a night to stay anywhere!) All in all, we were very pleased with our stay and would absolutely stay there again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Jolene1975
Reviewed November 27, 2006

Using priceline I got a room for $50 / night. The location was great, The room was clean. The front desk was helpful. Finally, a hotel with a well decorated, good size bathroom and vanity.

Parking was a bit pricey at $15.00 a night and $20 with Valet. I opted to self park in the same lot without in and out privileges for $10. It was a safe and easy from the garage to the hotel.

• Liked — elevators with aview
  • Disliked — small elevators that you had to wait on.
  • Tips/Secrets — self park, Metro is next to hotel for easy access
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank neuf150
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 22, 2006

Avoid. I stayed here for only one night on a business trip and found the place underwhelming. Maybe it was just my room, but the lights didn't work, the floor was filthy and there were cracked tiles in the bathroom. The place is in desperate need of some investment. I am not sure if there are any other hotels in the area, but I am wiling to take my chances. Not sure if a local motel would be much worse....

• Liked — If I must pick something, then it would be location.
  • Disliked — The state of the rooms
  • Tips/Secrets — Go elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank Paisa_on_the_go
Richmond, VA
Reviewed July 10, 2006

My husband and I stayed here on a Sunday and Monday night while my daughter was at new-student orientation for American University. Fortunately we got a great rate on Priceline. We drove to and from the University (15 minutes) but could have easily taken the red-line Metro (located at the hotel).

We chose to self-park for $15/night, rather than valet park for $20/night. Self-parking is at the hotel and an elevator ride down from the lobby. Check-in and check-out were great - no lines and courteous service. We requested a higher room to avoid street noise and got a lovely room on the 10th floor.

The inside of the hotel is an open atrium with rooms along the outside - similar to Embassy Suites' design. The hotel was obviously busy with business conventions, but never felt crowded.

Our rooms was beautiful - spacious with 2 sleigh beds and mahoghany-appearing furniture. The beds were doubles, very comfortable with pillow-tops. There was no noise from other rooms or from the street so we slept great. The bathroom was nice, with marble-appearance floors and countertop, but it was a tight fit for 2 people at once.

We never ate at the hotel, but there were several restaurants within the block. This is a very nice, clean area of Bethesda. We highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed July 2006