“Nice place”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Michigan
“Nice place”
Reviewed October 24, 2008

I stayed one night before a business meeting, which itself was located at the Hyatt. The location is great in that it is right above the Metro stop, so it was a breeze getting to and from Regan-National. The staff was very friendly and proactively helpful (e.g. without my asking, they offered to give me frequent flier miles). The room was quiet and comfortable. There are quite a few places to eat nearby, including a Grill inside the hotel, which was ok for lunch ($15 for a Coke, fish sandwich, fries, tax, & tip).

My only beef was with the internet service. If wireless internet is free with an $90 room at a Comfort Inn, why isn't it free with a $200+ room at a Hyatt? More annoying was the fact that after paying for 24 access, I couldn't connect in the meeting room. (I wasn't alone in this experience.)

• Liked — proximity to the Metro station
  • Disliked — internet fee and access
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Connecticut
Reviewed October 8, 2008

I stayed one night at this hotel, for business. The hotel and room were very nice. The main attraction is the proximity to the metro station, which was right beneath the hotel. I could get into DC in about 15-20 minutes. The hotel itself is a little boring, the bar area is small and didn't look very interesting.

The pool/gym was under construction, and a disappointment. It looks like it will be good when renovated, but if this is something thats important to you, best call ahead and see if the renovations are complete.

Overall, very nice, but my main motivation was proximity to the metro.

• Liked — Proximity to Metro
  • Disliked — Pool / fitness center (under renovation at the time)
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed October 2, 2008

I live in the area, but my family was coming to visit DC and they wanted to stay close to a metro station. Via Hotwire I got an amazing deal for this room so we all booked here. It was great! First off, I stayed in the room by myself with my two kids aged 1 and 6 months so I needed a crib. Not only did I get a nice crib, they also gave me a basket of bath and sleep goodies for the babies...so thoughtful and something they have never done for me at any other hotel. The DC metro itself is great and the hotel is right above it so its so convenient. Our rooms were very nice, the bathrooms were relatively large, the employees were all very pleasant and welcoming, the indoor pool was a nice touch, and although we didn't eat on the premises on this trip...you can't go wrong with Morton's steak house or the Daily Grill!!! I love them both! Supermarket and a great Pancake House within walking distance that we went to daily. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND GOING HERE ---and take your luck with Hotwire because I am sure the price I paid on Hotwire---you won't be able to get anywhere else for this hotel!!! Wonderful experience. Will return!

• Liked — The metro stops at the hotel!
  • Disliked — that I had to pay for underground parking, but its relatively cheap in comparison to others. $10
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank nbparents
Front Royal, VA
Reviewed October 1, 2008

A group of us stayed at the Hyatt for my birthday party in January and had a blast! We stayed just one night but boy do we wish we could have stayed longer. The room was very large, the bed was super comfortable, and room service in the morning was really tasty!
I loved how they had recently updated their hotel in a "minimalist" kind of fashion. The lines in the rooms were very clean which made it very soothing. I especially loved the new mattress and comforter that they had. Not to mention it was kind of neat having an Ipod Alarm Clock.
When we went out to dinner there were plenty of taxis waiting outside to give us a lift, and the hotel staff told us exactly where we needed to go.

The only negative is that the room we had booked was double booked for a wedding, upon our arrival they fixed that and hooked us up with a suite (it was the only thing left). It was really great and they couldn't have been nicer about it.

Stayed January 2008
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed September 25, 2008

I recently stayed at the Hyatt Regency while visiting D.C. and Philadelphia and got a great deal on Hotwire.

The room offered the typical Hyatt Regency experience, meaning that it was perfect---totally quiet and clean and pleasant in every way and with no funny odors. The hotel literally sits on top of the Metro station and also features a huge underground parking garage. Although the rooms are all accessed from hallways running around the vast central atrium (typical of Hyatts), there's no echoes so when in the room you don't hear any noise through the door coming from the lobby down below. The check in and check out process was quick and efficient. Furthermore, like much of suburban Maryland, Bethesda is much safer than D.C. itself and there are many people out and about on the streets well into the night.

Now the downsides, which are minor. The first one, as other reviewers have noted, is that they charge you for parking and they charge even more if you want to go in and out. This wasn't an issue for me because I stayed only one night and I took care of everything I needed to take care of before checking in.

The second one is that there's not much of a view, but then the entire Washington, D.C. area doesn't have much of a skyline to begin with.

The third one is that there's not much to do in Bethesda. This wasn't an issue for me because I was driving around the D.C./Baltimore corridor and I deliberately chose a hotel in the Bethesda area to save money (as opposed to the more expensive hotels in the urban core). But if you're not renting a car and your main purpose is to see D.C., you might get tired of riding back and forth on the Metro train.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable accommodations, good value for the money
  • Disliked — Expensive parking
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank coolcaesar
Philadelphia,PA
Reviewed September 6, 2008

This is the closest hotel to my company's Bethesda office. As such, I stayed here last week on a trip to DC. I had updated my preferences manually into their system to request a king bed, etc. and was assigned a low floor room with two doubles by their automatic check-in system. I went to the desk to get a higher floor and was able to get a king bed without a problem. So much for preferences.

Anyway, the room was clean enough, but in dire need of a renovation. The carpet was frayed, furniture worn, and the bed not so comfy. The pillows were REALLY soft -- the sheets were not.

The gym was really nice (albeit small), and had nice touches like cold, damp washcloths in a wine fridge for you to use post-work out.

On checkout, I was given a bill for room service that I didn't order. They took the charge off, but I wasn't the only one disputing a charge at the desk at that moment. Makes me wonder what's going on with their system. Furthermore, one of my colleagues then informed me that he was assigned a room with someone else's things in it! Always a fun way to start a trip.

All in all, given the proximity to the metro, I'll probably stay downtown the next time I'm in DC. For what they charge, I can get a nicer room elsewhere.

• Liked — Rooms are big
  • Disliked — Rooms are old and frayed
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Bethesda hotels

USA
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Great location with tons of restaurants in walking distance. Movie theater is just around the corner with all the major titles. Metro was a huge bonus right next to the hotel. Park the car and head out on foot to avoid the headache of driving. Parking was $15 per 24 hour, but their was tons of street parking for a Sunday traveler. I avoided the charge and parked on the street right next to the hotel. This was kind of tricky so be careful not to get towed. Tow trucks were out in force. Room was clean, non smoking, and perfect for a one nighter. The only 2 negatives were the TV kind of had issues and the bed didn't have fitted sheets. What's up with non-fitted sheets? It can't be that much more expensive. Who knows? Overall a very positive experience.

Stayed May 2008
HyattRegencyBethesda, Revenue Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, May 22, 2008
We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Hyatt Regency Bethesda. However, we apologize that you were unhappy with our non-fitted sheets. It is a standard practice in the hotel industry not to use fitted sheets as constant washing of fitted sheets wears the elastic quickly. You will find that most major chain hotels rarely will use a fitted sheet. If you have any questions regarding this please contact the hotel directly. Thank you again for choosing Hyatt Regency Bethesda.

Andrew Pike