“Hotel Conference Stay”

Hyatt Regency Bethesda
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt Bethesda from May 28th- May 30th. I was there for a work conference. I stayed in a room with 2 double beds. The rooms were slightly outdated and very basic, but they were clean. It was suitable for a work visit.

The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. I enjoyed dinner at the Daily Grill the first night. Very delicious!

Easy access to the Metro.

The morning of my first conference, I was not thrilled with the breakfast served. I went up to the gift shop to see if they had any yogurt in the refrigerated section. They did not. I asked the clerk behind the desk where I could get fruit and yogurt. He sent me to the Daily Grill restaurant. I ended up paying $14 for yogurt, fruit, and granola. The very next day, I found out they have a little breakfast area in the lobby where you can buy fruit, cereal, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, etc. I was a bit disappointed that the clerk did not give me this information.

Hotel gym - very small. The pictures were misleading. Very clean.

Here is my biggest complaint - The wi-fi service at this hotel was not free. I had to pay every 24 hrs. for wi-fi, unless I sat in the lobby. I was not going to do work in the lobby. Not only do you have to pay for wi-fi, but there is no cell service in the meeting rooms. This is extremely inconvenient and not practical at all. This hotel seems like a hotel mostly used for conferences and meetings, so I strongly advise they rethink their wireless access.

Overall - clean, food pretty good, friendly staff, terrible wireless access and phone service.

1  Thank Lama1902

Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

I had an unpleasant experience. Outdated. The rooms were ok but not very clean. We turned on the air conditioning and it blew out a bunch of dirt ad dust. Water bottle in our room was disgustingly dirty. Staff was rude. The highlight was the conference rooms but the ballroom was difficult to get to. Not worth the cost.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank sradtke393
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2014

Good Evening sradtke393,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback from your visit to Hyatt Regency Bethesda. I am so sorry to hear this stay did not meet expectations. I definitely understand your frustration, to ensure these challenges do not occur in the future I have forwarded your comments and concerns to our executive management so they are able to step in a resolve the issues. We hope to welcome you back.

Warm regards,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have stayed at a number of Hyatt Regencies in recent years. All of them I experienced have been showing their age. This one in Bethesda, was less so, seemingly better maintained than the others.

Stayed here one night for business meeting. Some of my colleagues were on a lower floor and could hear noise (an entire high school class was here for a class trip!) from the restaurant at the lobby level. Elevator wait >5 minutes since only one bank of lifts for all the guest floors.

On the plus sides:
1) Location--located immediately next to a Metro stop
2) Staff--friendly and helpful

Some potential negatives
1) atrium design means noise from lobby can be heard all the way to top floor
2) limited elevators for number of rooms--can mean long wait if large groups are staying here

Summary: would stay here again for business in the area, but not for leisure

Room Tip: ask for higher floor in corners further away from atrium
1  Thank trvlcnst
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Hotel sits atop the Bethesda METRO station with quick access to DC on the Red Line. The Woodmont Triangle dining district is a few short blocks away. Rooms are very nice and clean, but nothing exceptional. Service throughout the property is attentive.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing Wisconsin Avenue
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 27, 2014

The location of the hotel was awesome. There were a lot of restaurants, some retail, and a couple theaters within walking distance. There is a metro station beneath the hotel that will get you to the monuments and tourist sites in 15 minutes with one train switch.

The rooms were dated. There were very few outlets in the rooms. The bathroom were outdated, and there no vents which caused drywall damage on the ceiling. There was also no room refrigerator. They also disabled the ability to switch TV inputs, so I couldn't use my Chromecast as an alternative to the mediocre list of channels available.

A lack of elevators made getting from your floor to lobby a slow task at times.

There are two restaurants on site. You have Morton's, a high end steakhouse, and the Daily Grille (a good, but more affordable option). There is also a Dunkin Donuts across the street.

All in all the location made the shortcomings tolerable, but the price tag is hefty for the lack of in room amenities.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency for a business meeting. Self check-in is available prior to arrival. Hotel decor is dated. The hotel room was spacious. There was a small sitting area and desk. Bathroom was standard. The hotel is well-located and within walking distance of many nice restaurants in Bethesda.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank djl485
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We stayed for two nights due to a wedding at this busy hotel. The location was perfect, next to metro and a nice walk to restaurants and shopping. The hotel was clean but is in great need of upgrade. We were disappointed, that though pleasant the staff was not very helpful on check in. We arrived early and were told about a hour wait and we could be in our room dressing for our event. Two and a half hours later (now well passed check-in time) we were given our room keys. This resulted in a mad dash to meet the wedding shuttle on time. As we loved the shower and the comfortable bed all would have been good, except arriving back the second day from site seeing our room had not been touched. This location offers no extras (paid internet in 2014, charges for bottled water) at least a customer should have basic service. I will say the desk was quick to send up someone to do basic cleaning when we were at dinner. Overall we had a great time but the hotel needs some fixes to be at the high standard the claim to be.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family