WINNER WONDERLAND

Hyatt Regency Bethesda
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“OK if you get a cheap rate”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

This Hyatt is downtown Bethesda and you can walk to all the restaurants and shops. Across the street is a metro stop so getting to Washington DC is easy. The property is not up to usual Hyatt hotel standards, but the rate that I got was very reasonable and much less than you would have to pay in other Hyatt hotels so I was OK with overlooking some of the characteristics of the hotel. The room was very standard corporate room. Where you can tell the the niceness of the hotel is the bathroom and this bathroom was average (cheap tile, worn grout, low end shower head) but it was clean. My biggest complaint would be the training of the front desk staff. I got a key to the business center, but they could never get it to work. Every single time I had to go to the lobby to get it reprogrammed. Once I even went to the lobby before going up to the center and it still did not work. We had the same problem with the room keys. Part of my benefits is to get a newspaper delivered to the room in the morning. I had two rooms and the other room got the paper. When I asked about the other paper the front desk person lied and said that no papers were delivered that day. The business lounge what just a room with computers and drinks and yogurt. They only had Pepsi. It was probably the worst business lounge that I have ever seen. The hotel has a gym and a pool. The gym is cramped and divided into three areas around the old pool. The equipment was good and in order. I had breakfast at the hotel one morning, but did not go back. It was over the Thanksgiving Holidays and the staff was overwhelmed with the crowds and they kept running out of coffee and other items. It is probably better during the week. There is a Daily Grill restaurant at the hotel too. The hotel is pretty noisy, because it is "atrium style" and all the rooms can hear the noise from the lobby. One night there was a teen party at the property and it was very noisy. Other nights it was more quiet. Over all if you are traveling on business I would look elsewhere. If you are traveling with family and need a reasonable rate, but are willing to not have any luxuries this property is OK.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank givemesunshine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Strathaven
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Perhaps the best feature of this hotel is its location ie next to a metro station. The hotel itself looks dated and lacks some of the refinements expected in a four star establishment. I also found it noisy in the bedroom where there appeared to be a continues air noise which affected my sleep during the first night. The initial solution suggested to me was that I switch on the air conditioning fan then I wouldn't hear the background hum ??? I was then provided with ear plugs and shortly after offered a different room. As we were fully unpacked we decided to keep the original room and use the ear plugs if necessary. To their credit the hotel did provide complimentary breakfast for the final three mornings.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Walnutport, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

My in-laws (not Trip Advisor folks) stayed at this hotel for the Thanksgiving holiday. This hotel is nowhere near Hyatt standards. Their room (#312) was not clean. The bedside table was cracked and damaged. The only place to put the coffee pot was on the counter next to the bathroom sink, leaving no room for toiletries, etc. On the third floor, there was a recent large 'stain' on the wall in front of the elevators. It had not been cleaned. The carpet was threadbare.

They won't be staying at this hotel again, and I advise you to stay clear of it.

Room Tip: I've heard they've remodeled some rooms. If they have, perhaps one of them might be accepta...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Good Afternoon KLPCLT,

Thank you for bringing your experience from the Hyatt Regency Bethesda to our attention. I am do sorry to hear about the condition of the hotel and it's guestrooms during your visit. I have forwarded your remarks to our executive management to follow up with this property and make sure we do not have any other issues with housekeeping and speak of renovations. Again, thank for bringing this information to us and if you would like to speak about this matter further, please feel free to contact our Guest Relations Associate. Hope you have a great holiday.

Warm regards,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Spending time with my daughters in Bethesda. Walked past the Hyatt, ate in the restaurants there, but never actually stayed.

Excellent service, get a room upgrade...terrace with a great view!

Traveling to visit your own kids fir the holidays can have plenty of built-in disappointments, but Thu shotel was not one of them.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your stay! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your Thanksgiving holiday with your family and at our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the service and view at the hotel. I hope we can welcome you back this Thanksgiving.

Regards,

Belinda M - Guest Relations Associate
Philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

Stayed one night - Nov. 28 to Nov. 29. Room was clean. Nothing too fancy, but okay for the night. What I really liked was the online check in. We were not checking in until 8pm. It was a convience to do it on line and use the kiosk to get the room keys. No waiting in lines! Only bad note was a heavy cigarette smell by the elevators on the 3rd floor.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

No way is this a Hyatt?!!! When we arrived the valet acted surprised that we would even consider valet parking after our 12 hour drive in heavy rains... No bellman. No welcome. Then we decided on a late dinner at the grill. The waiter was friendly but kept coming back to say they were out of everything we wanted!!
The decor is a wreck table side lighting hanging dangerously off the walls.... Hyatt should be ashamed of this hotel!!!! We won't be back!

• Stayed November 2013
Greetings Melissa R,

Thank you for going out of you way to provide your feedback on your past stay at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda! Our sincerest apologies for the many challenges you encountered upon your arrival of this location and we will definitely be forwarding your comments to our executive management so we can ensure this never happens to any future guests. If you would like to speak about this matter further, we are more than happy to speak with you. Please contact our Guest Relations department. Hope we can welcome you back.

Warm regards,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda for 5 days earlier this month. The room was clean and the bathroom was well stocked with towels and wash cloths every day. The room service attendants were also very nice. The best part was the location of the Metro. I loved that I could walk out the door and enter the Metro.

That said, the walls of the room as super thin. I could hear the people in the rooms next to me talking. My room was on the third level and I was able to hear the noise from the lobby level, as well as firetruck and police sirens, which seemed to go off on the street quite often. I had a hard time sleeping because I need complete silence. If you're like that as well, then I would recommend bringing ear plugs.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business