“Overcharged”

Hyatt Regency Bethesda
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a wedding and I used the wedding rate and my corporate discount to book a room for 2 nights. We were told upon check-in that we'd have free Wi-Fi and breakfast but when I received my credit card statement (they never emailed me a bill), I noticed it was about $100 more than it should be. I called the hotel and left a voicemail and never heard back. So, I called the hotel again and was finally able to resolve the issue. I had been charged Wi-Fi and breakfast for both days even though I had been told that would not be the case. The gentleman on the phone was very nice and refunded me the difference. Other than that, it was a nice hotel with comfortable beds.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dmhira
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Bethesda

Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel is old probably built in the 80's. Could use heavy updating. Elevator buttons to call elevator do not light on 5th floor.
Staff are very nice and restaurants are great.
Amenities such as yoga mats and dumbbells not available.
Good for a quick business meeting.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Silverdr
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our oldest son and his family live in northern DC, where it abuts Silver Spring. Usually stayed at either the Sheraton in Silver Spring or one just north. Decided to do the Hyatt this time and it was a major step up.

First of all, even tho I'm no longer Diamond Elite, I got a lovely upgrade to a Junior Suite plus free breakfast - a lovely surprise. Please understand - it's not a Park Hyatt but it is now our go-to hotel when we go down to visit the kids. Great location, lovely staff and the hotel was perfect for us. As I said, it's good to know that Hyatt tends to deliver more than they promise!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel. but it is just too busy for me. This hotel is wide open. You can see the front desk from the 11 floor. Im afraid of heights and the rails or not that high.... its a great place for busy business travelers working in or near DC or a family on vacation. The location is awesome!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Mildewed grout in an old bathroom; corners dusty; worn furnishings and carpeting. Room definitely needs a paint job. But the king bed was comfy with good linens and pillows. The staff was very nice and there were big coolers of iced water with lemons and orange slices for a very hot Labor Day weekend. Good location for walking to lots of restaurants and shops. Definitely check out the Bethesda crab house for authentic old style boil, crack, and eat on newspaper covered tables.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My room was beautiful and spacious. Very clean each day. Only problem I had was the temperature in my room. I could never get it cool enough. Maintenance tried it just wouldn't cool down. Hotel is close to amazing restaurants and shopping. The Daily Grill in the hotel is also fantastic. Ask for Veronica, she is AMAZING! Happy hour is really fun and the food is great. Hope to stay here again soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Hi Mona60,

Thank you for going out of your way to share comments about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Bethesda. I am glad to hear how much you enjoyed your getaway to our hotel. Our location is one of the best in the area. The local shops and restaurants are just steps from our doors. It will be my pleasure to welcome you back soon!

Safe travels,

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed August 13, 2013

But maybe it's me when I stay at a Hyatt I kind of expect to be "wowed". At least a little! Now mind you I've only stayed at two Hyatt Regency hotels before this one-The Hyatt Regency Sacramento and the Hyatt Regency San Francisco. Both had a wow factor when you entered the lobby and the rooms. This one screamed "Okay, nice architecture" and the room was like "It's clean and serviceable, it'll do". Maybe because I don't spend 300 nights of the year in hotels as part of my work so when I do go somewhere I want to say "Hey, this is REALLY nice!" As I said the hotel was okay and the front desk staff are really nice and very helpful. Try as I might I always forget people's names so I can't mention the specific people I dealt with. My King bed room was roomy and I was very pleased with the size of the bathroom. Usually the bathrooms in a lot of hotels are kind of small but this one was very roomy. The bed was also very comfortable but still suffers from that "motion transfer" issue I hate when sleeping with another person. Better known as the "I can feel it every time you move" syndrome. The location is very good but be warned you have to pay for parking even if you are parking it yourself. When I was there it was $15 per day for self parking and $20 to valet. There's also some type of pay difference between "in and out" and "park and stay" but I don't remember what it is because I've never been on a vacation where I had a car and didn't move it or use it for daily or even multiple times during the day/night.
They have 2 restaurants, Morton's Steak House and the Daily Grill. I ate at the Daily Grill (which also provides room service). The food was tasty but service is slooow. I had breakfast Saturday morning and there were several large tables of people already there but I waited at least 8 minutes at the desk waiting for someone to acknowledge my presence and seat us. Fortunately I wasn't starving or my grumpier nature would have taken over and I would have left. After we were seated as usual the waitress came 5 minutes later and asked us for our drink order. I just asked for coffee and my husband wanted tea. That took another 10 minutes! When she came with our beverages we decided to give her our order in case we never saw her again. Once we got our order (omelet and a continental breakfast plus yogurt and berries) 20 minutes later we had been there from start to finish a total of 43 minutes before we got food. As I said once we got our food it was delicious but unless there is only one person back in the kitchen with one arm and one leg, it really seemed to last forever!
My other pet peeve was the wi-fi which seemed to be slow in the evening and faster in the morning-maybe more people were on it in the evening not sure but if you are charging $12 for "premium" service i.e. faster than basic but they don't tell you the speed but since it's double the price I want double the speed!
After an evening out on our return to the hotel I wanted a cup of coffee so I stopped at the Daily Grill for a to-go cup of coffee-how long do you think that took? Yep, another 10 minutes to pour hot brown liquid into a cup. A lady next to me was going to order but asked me how long I was waiting for coffee and when I told her she decided to bolt since she had a show to catch. Later on that evening I decided to push my luck and call them for a piece of cake but this time I didn't time them but it sure felt like they came back quicker with the cake than any of my prior orders!

Room Tip: Hard to say because all the doors open onto a "balcony" where the whole middle section of...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple