“Great Location”

Hyatt Regency Bethesda
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here for a sightseeing trip with our young boys to Washington DC. This hotel sits right on top of the Metro. It's a 20 minute trip to the sights in DC and about a 10 minute trip to the National Zoo. The staff was friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean and spacious. Hotel is in walking distance to many good restaurants and small shops.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Bethesda

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We booked this hotel for a weekend stay in the DC area and was very pleased with the fantastic location just above the metro station on the Red line. It put us close to the downtown at a great price. The previous weekend I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Houston so was was a bit disappointed at how old this hotel felt (lobby, fitness center and guest rooms) but as I said, you can't beat the location and getting a Priceline deal always helps! They offer coffe in the morning to all guests, or some reservations include a breakfast as well. It is a sparse selection, but nice enough.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Konstancja K, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Dear Kate,

We greatly appreciate your positive feedback.
I am very glad to hear that the location of our property, as well as condition exceeded your expactations.
We are looking forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Expensive and dated but clean with a friendly although not exceptional staff. Good location right above the Metro stop with plenty of restaurants nearby. Food, drink and Internet were overpriced. Glad my company was paying the bill.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear mscaffrey,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I am glad to hear that you were pleased with our property's convenient location and customer service our staff provided.
We are looking forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed at the Bethesda Hyatt for 6 nights to attend a medical convention being held at the Marriott Wardman Park. Both hotels are right next to Metro stops and it was an easy 11 minute, 5-stop ride on the red line to get to the Marriott where the convention was being held.

The Hyatt was 1/2 the price of the Marriott when I made my reservation, and included a free continental breakfast for AAA members.

I'm normally a nit-picker and difficult to please when it comes to hotels but I have to say this is a great hotel! Great service!. Spacious room and bathroom with a sensible layout. My room also had a crib (!) and a small refrigerator. I think they must use this room for people with toddlers when they stay here.

I was delighted they have white bed covers since any stains or evidence of critters would be easily seen. Kudos to the management!

Spotlessly clean.

The housekeeping people saw that I was using the caffeinated coffee filters in the morning with the in-room coffee maker, and started leaving extra coffee filters. Nice touch! Much appreciated by this caffeine nut.

They gave me free in-room internet (normally $10/day) when I checked in as a bonus for staying 6 nights and for being enrolled in the Hyatt frequent flier program. The internet was faster than what I have at home. You have to re-register for it every day which was no big deal but mildly annoying.

Nice exercise facility on the top floor. The pool was a little small for swimming laps.

Check-in and check-out was a snap. When I checked out they initially wanted to charge me for some 1-800 calls I made using a phone card, but I had checked with the hotel operator before I used my phone card and was told there was no charge for those, and they cheerfully and instantanously removed the phone charges.

The only downside with the room is that the air conditioning blows right on the bed at night, which I find objectionable so I turned it off and it got a little stuffy after a while.

The location is fantastic-right at the metro, and there are literally dozens and dozens of places to eat within a few block walk in the new Bethesda shopping district south and west of the hotel.

Check out Rice Paddies Grill 4706 Bethesda Ave for a dirt cheap Vietnamese dinner. I had the rice paper shrimp rolls with peanut sauce and a giant bowl of noodle soup with meat in it for around $12. Also check out Moby Dick (a mideastern food chain) at 7027 Wisconsin for a fast, and cheap mideastern dinner. The place rocks and is delightfully disorganized and high energy. Both of these places have no atmosphere and are largely take-out fast dinner places.

All in all, a great stay at a great hotel. No real complaints. I'd go there again in a second.

The metro trips including my initial and final trips to the airport totaled around $60 for the week. There's an unlimited metro pass for a week that costs about the same, and a 'smartcard' option that might have saved about $10 over the week but the person manning the booth wasn't there to sell me one when I arrived at Metro airport. You can get them on-line before your visit.

Room Tip: Ask for free internet if you're staying there for a few nights. Also, if you're on the Hyat...
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Have seen recent reviews panning the place, but I thought it was pretty good. Yes, it's been there a while, but didn't seem unacceptably old to me. I didn't notice any stains or bad smells in my room or hallway. The bathroom was clean, and bed comfortable. Room temperature was not a problem, either. The only (minor) hassle was elevator congestion when meetings let our--everyone is rushing to their room at the same time.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

This Hyatt has definitely seen better days. The bathrooms are in need of updating and the walls are paper thin. We could hear every word of our neighbor's telephone conversation. Breakfast is overpriced and sub-par. However, there are a ton of places to get good food within just a couple minutes walk. Staff were nice an the Metro convenience made up for some of the drawbacks. I would really only recommend this hotel if you can get a good deal.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Konstancja K, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear SAI22,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are glad to hear that you were very pleased with the customer service you received and the location of our property.
I sincerely apologize for the noise issue and I would like to inform you that we diligently work to resolving this matter up to our guests' satisfaction.
Please, do not hesitate to contact us directly for future reservation needs.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We have stayed here on numerous occasions due to the location being perfect for our business and personal visits. Great location does not give license to neglecting this property as the owners have. The rooms are disgusting, old, smelly, bathrooms that have cracked floors and dark old lighting, worn towels, disgusting carpets.

On top of all of this, the price is simply outrageous for what you are getting. And on every visit we attempt to order a latte at the lobby bar in the mornings, but the machine is broken ALL THE TIME!
Seriously, Hyatt needs to take a good look at this operator, you are all missing the boat on an opportunity here. What happened to pride of ownership? I am selling my stock this week, this company should be ashamed.

PS the Service staff does try but they are sick of making excuses for management/ownership. They are saints for having to listen to everyone complain so much.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Konstancja K, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency Bethesda, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.
I sincerely apologize for the fact that your stay did not meet your expectations and the challenges encountered. As our guests' satisfaction is top priority, we will look closesly into your comments.

Best Regards,